BlackShadow
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CR123a Delrin Waterproof Spare Battery Carrier

Default CR123a Delrin Waterproof Spare Battery Carriers

Check out this Delrin Battery Carrier that I purchased from County Comm. It's tough I've dropped it and also carry it in my pocket with my truck keys and pocket knife and still looks good as it ever has. They also have them for AA and AAA as well. It works perfect when your out and your battery goes dead and you have a spare battery in your pocket.

Last edited by Glock 22; 11-22-2012 at 01:12 PM.
    Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. Psalm 119:105

Default Re: CR123a Delrin Waterproof Spare Battery Carrier

Looks great, and solid too

how much do they charge for shipping?
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

Shipping kind of sucked on that one - doubles the price. Something like this will come in handy for me though, and since I considered buying two and then talked myself into just buying one, when I saw the shipping - I still went for it. It may not be worth it to some though.

$8.95 for the carrier + about $9.90 shipping (to Houston)! Ouch. But it is a very good product with very practical application. You don't see anything quite like it every day either. Supposedly an overrun product left over from a contract - limited production too.

Thanks for the tip! Looking forward to getting mine.
    EagleTac D25C S2; P20A2 MKII S2; P100C2 Q5; Fenix TK21 U2; LD01 R4; E05 R2; E01
    JETBeam BC10 R5; Romisen RC-G2 II NW; RC-T601 II U2; Inova X5
    Xeno E03; Zebralight SC600; Crelant 7G5-V2 U2; 4Sevens Quark Tactical 123^2 R5

I've got one of their Delrin 1xAA carriers. It's hard to find waterproof 1xAA keychain carriers that are just the right size.

I have an earlier Delrin container from CC and the design of it's cap really impressed me. No matter how tight one tightens the cap the o-ring is not damaged. The cap bottoms out before the o-ring is torn or forced out of it's groove.

Just like zenbeam said the shipping doubles tha carrier at $9.90 but they ship UPS and I got mine pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by tobrien View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zenbeam View Post
    Shipping kind of sucked on that one - doubles the price. $8.95 for the carrier + about $9.90 shipping

It's just the way CC does it. I get so many items from CC that I do a few good sized orders a year. ($80-120 each) To CC's credit the shipping for my orders is around $9-11.
    Last edited by Sub_Umbra; 06-16-2012 at 07:46 PM.

Does anyone else make something similar without the silly shipping?!

I'm in the UK, and have been looking for a cheaper solution.
    Bring on the night...

Quote Originally Posted by nuphoria View Post

Their international agent - endtimesreport sells the capsules. The shipping is a reasonable $7 to $8 depending on the order. I think that is not bad if you buy 3 capsules.
    During the day when I don't need a torch ... RC is my hobby http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/gallery/47842/Always on the lookout for McGizmo/Kuku Titanium torches with Trits..

Quote Originally Posted by nuphoria View Post

EDCgear in the UK sell them. I'm thinking of ordering one myself.

Quote Originally Posted by MattSPL View Post
    EDCgear in the UK sell them. I'm thinking of ordering one myself.
    Thank you... Going to be buying from them. Thanks
    During the day when I don't need a torch ... RC is my hobby http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/gallery/47842/Always on the lookout for McGizmo/Kuku Titanium torches with Trits..

Quote Originally Posted by mohanjude View Post
    Thank you... Going to be buying from them. Thanks
    No problem, just ordered one myself
    They also have a capsule that will fit an 18650, but it doesn't have a keychain attachment.

Flashaholic*

numyth has an aluminum one that expands to fit 18650. Going gear has them.

Edit:
    The problem with both of these is that they are fairly large for what they do at about 1" in diameter. I decided the more compact option was to just carry a spare in another light. In my case I chose the 4-7s CR123 MiNi.
    Last edited by cave dave; 06-17-2012 at 09:01 AM.
    Light is the activity of what is transparent - Aristotle

Yeah, I suppose carrying another compact cr123 light is an option too.

I went with the Delrin AAA and liked it, AAA lights are quite advantageous these days, especially as a backup light. I previously used a couple Peak 1AAA holders, but the clanging around of two metal tubes was catching too much attention. The shipping I thought was reasonable as I tossed in a couple split peas to go along with it. Those turned out to be more of novelties than I had expected. With O-rings in good condition I found myself having to refill them essentially once every 2-3 weeks. As being on keys and pocketed close to my legs body heat cooks the fluid out faster than I thought.

What I like about delrin is the easiness to snug it down without applying too much force, but I sometimes wonder of its inertness against alkaline's leaking, nonreactive for sure, but how will it clean with vinegar and other solvents?
    Last edited by Illum; 06-17-2012 at 11:02 AM.

I liked the Delrin mainly because it is cool to see so much effort went into making this thing with practically the same quality machining, waterproofing and so on that goes into flashlights these days.

But not even with all that.... it's just a cool looking/functioning, rather unique item. And I like that it is from a limited production making it even more unique a few years down the road.

My CR123 capsule arrived this morning. 24hrs from dispatch in the UK to my door in Ireland

See? Now that's just cool. Not too many people would have any idea just what that thing is. lol I like it.

That looks military. Perhaps leftovers from a government contract.

Yeah great little capsule.

I think they are left overs from a US military order.

A ridiculously obscene amount if you only want that one item.

If there's a bunch of stuff you want to buy, then the shipping rates are not too bad at all.

I have the AAA version of their Delrin battery carrier. Those things are worth picking up if you can stomach the shipping rates. Once again, placing a bulk order for several items makes the hit on shipping less painful.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Dang. Thanks guys. So is Delrin a really or relatively expensive material then? $8-9 isn't worth it to me
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

It depends what way you look at it, having a spare cr123 safe in a water proof capsule might come in handy someday

Dang. Thanks guys. So is Delrin a really or relatively expensive material then? $8-9 isn't worth it to me
    By itself, no; not an expensive material. But good luck taking some of it and transforming it in a useful, water-tight, container with threads. You're paying less for the raw material, and far more for what it was transformed into. Based on that $9 for one is reasonable.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

And not to mention that this capsule will preserve a CR123 in a fresher state far longer than storing one underneath a pyramid.

(okay... the corn in me has to come out sometimes )

Flashaholic*

I have a couple CR123 containers and an AAA container.

Great little items, thick and solid with smooth threads.

Countycomm has a bunch of cool little items, it should be easy to find a few other things to add to your cart so shipping doesn't seem so bad.

AAA version:

I've been carrying one of their Cr123 holders on my key chain for about 6 months now. They are very nice holders and I will probably pick up an AA and AAA version soon. Just add some more stuff to your order to make the shipping worthwhile. The wire key chains are really nice too.

Got my CR123 carrier today! Very nice. Extremely well machined. Love the delrin material. Some kind of thermoplastic stuff. It was referred to as "self lubricating" - no wonder the darn thing keeps slipping out of my hand... lol. But I really like it! Like others have said, the lid really cinches down nice and snug. I put a small lanyard on mine to give me something to hold on to when I handle it - in case it slips away again. It is now housing a nice new Panasonic CR123A.

Overall, maybe not quite totally worth the near $20 shipped.... but to me.... it is damn close and I'm not disappointed.

I'm glad I posted this thread. It seems like it's got a lot of positive reviews, and everyone seems to like them, except the shipping cost which stinks.
    Last edited by Glock 22; 06-22-2012 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    By itself, no; not an expensive material. But good luck taking some of it and transforming it in a useful, water-tight, container with threads.
    +1

Plastic items are cheap for the very simple reason that they are molded, in mass. Spend $5000K+ on a mold, then crank out 100K-100M parts for pennies a piece. This molding process offer a number of advantages, but strength is not among them.

In the flashlight world, Delrin (Polyoxymethylene) is formed into solid rods at the factory. Then, rather than being injected molded, its cut on CNC machines, just like aluminum and other metals. The result is some of the strongest and most precisely shaped parts possible. But the material is only slightly cheaper and cuts slightly faster than aluminum. So the result isn't much cheaper.

These capsules would be $20+ were they not extras from some massive run.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast