Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CR123a Delrin Waterproof Spare Battery Carrier

Default Re: CR123a Delrin Waterproof Spare Battery Carrier

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    If you can't find them at Wally World for $1.00, it means they're sold out at that particular location for now. Ironically, I have seen that happen before. Would like to say that it's because more and more folks are enjoying camping or are preparing for emergencies . . .

Truth is, drug dealers love those match-cases since it's a great way for them to store the rocks they sell.
    Thanks for the suggestion!

I went by WallyWorld yesterday and they had the 'Coleman' version, which seems to be slightly taller than the Coghlan, with a few more millimeters of clearance, but pretty much identical. The Colemans are $1.00 and they come with about 40 smaller, waterproof matches and a striker sheet inside a little ziplock baggie, which is curled up and does a nice job of quieting the batteries inside.

Picked up 4 and might buy a few more, just to have. I'm even able to get sparks out of the flints!

Chris
    Convoy: S2, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

I know it was mentioned earlier, but I think it bears repeating that endtimesreport has very reasonable shipping compared to County Comm. I have considered ordering from County Comm on several occasions and the $10 shipping (plus tax in California) for small orders is just out of the question. ETR typically ships via First Class for small orders and no tax for CA residents, totaling about $4 for orders weighing under 13 oz. And yes, they carry the Delrin containers. The only downside to the site is that they're missing many items that only County Comm seems to carry (at least, in the US).

Thanks for the tip about endtimesreport. I ordered two CR123 carriers from them and they quickly arrived today. They're a really cool, SAFE way to carry a spare battery and they weigh very little. The weight was the main issue I had with the aluminum pill fobs. These delrin cases are a little bulky, but they feel super tough. Im very satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by enomosiki View Post
    I've been carrying these carriers for a while and they are the most durable battery containers that I've come across. Short of a gunshot, I can't think of a way to destroy one.

I've tried various solutions; Keep2Go tubes, those transparent plastic battery cases, aluminium pill fobs, etc., and found the Delrin cases to be the best. The Keep2Go tube cracked within a week of getting it, the plastic case ripped itself apart, and aluminium fobs were heavy and uncomfortable.

Also, the fact that you there is a hole on the lid so you can daisy chain them together using something like an A&P keyring means that it's modular, as well. I'm currently carrying 2xCR123A, 2xRCR123A, 1xAA and 1xAAA on an A&P keyring, and when I think that I won't need to carry a particular spare, I just take the case out of the loop. If I need to carry more spares, I just put more on the keyring.

Another good thing is that these are quite light and don't have sharp edges to make carrying uncomfortable.

I wish they had cases that will fit 17670 and 18650, but I can live without 'em.
    I just received the AA and AAA sized Delrin capsule today, love the size and they do seem quite durable and watertight. I plan on using them as both battery carriers and pill fobs. Only problem is, when I opened them up this afternoon, they stank! Smelled like they had previously contained rotting sardines. I'm going to try to clean them tonight with a mild bleach solution, I hope that does the trick.

Mine stink too. I'm guessing it's the smell of the Delrin from the machining process. It has burnt plastic smell about it, except worse

The smell is from the batteries, because they are air tight in the carrier. I've had mine a couple of months, and I keep a CR123A in it, and ever so often I take the battery out of it so it can air out.
    Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. Psalm 119:105

I know what you mean about the smell from the batteries, i opened up a light for the first time in a couple of years, it had a pair of cr123's in it, and the smell was very potent. And i have a little organizer for all my cr123's and bits and pieces. That has a smell from it too.

There is also a smell off the Delrin that was there when new before i put any batteries into the carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by MattSPL View Post
    There is also a smell off the Delrin that was there when new before i put any batteries into the carrier.
    O.K. I see what you mean, I never paid any attention to mine when I first got it. I just put a battery in it and started carrying it. It's in my pocket eveyday. I've dropped it more than once. It's been in my pocket with keys, a pocket knife, and it's a tough little setup.

Yeah they are great. Really strong , and a nice useful carrier

Never noticed a smell from my AAA version of the same battery-carrier. Hopefully the smell dissipates soon after getting it.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

are yall putting Titanium Innovations cells in your delrin holders? i think i've noticed the Titanium Innovations brand CR123s are especially funky
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

You guys are funny....whiffing a battery carrier!!

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK 22 View Post
    The smell is from the batteries, because they are air tight in the carrier. I've had mine a couple of months, and I keep a CR123A in it, and ever so often I take the battery out of it so it can air out.
    thats coined "flashahol" here, it has a sweet pineapple like smell... the smell out of these delrin holders resembles some sort of coolant, not like burnt plastic. To test its reactivity as well as to improve the smell, I coated the inside of the container [not the cap] with Hoppes #9, then wiped with a dry cloth, smells wonderful now

I do have some Titanium CR123s and I have to agree they are funky.

Quote Originally Posted by tobrien View Post
    are yall putting Titanium Innovations cells in your delrin holders? i think i've noticed the Titanium Innovations brand CR123s are especially funky
    Quote Originally Posted by Illum View Post
    thats coined "flashahol" here, it has a sweet pineapple like smell... the smell out of these delrin holders resembles some sort of coolant, not like burnt plastic. To test its reactivity as well as to improve the smell, I coated the inside of the container [not the cap] with Hoppes #9, then wiped with a dry cloth, smells wonderful now
    I'm just used to the smell of Lithium Batteries. I've got so many it ain't even funny. I never really paid any attention when I got the carrier, I just started using it. That's sound like a really good idea, I do have some Hoppes #9. I may give it a try. But the smell of Lithium Batteries don't bother me at all. Like you said it's indeed 100% Flashahol. It's what gets our blood pumping.

I think you might be onto something there with the coolant type smell

Can someone from the machining end confirm whether Delrin is typically milled with or without coolant?

Oveready is getting ready to put some different Delrin Carriers up for sale in the next little bit. I know for sure they will have them to fit three different sizes of batteries. I would say they will be up for sale when the next Oveready Insider come out.

Oveready is getting ready to put some different Delrin Carriers up for sale in the next little bit. I know for sure they will have them to fit three different sizes of batteries. I would say they will be up for sale when the next Oveready Insider come out.
    Thanks for the info, sounds interesting

I've got one on the way to fit a CR123a when I get it, I'll post a pic of it.

I've got one on the way to fit a CR123a when I get it, I'll post a pic of it.

Nice, thanks for the info!
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

There now on Oveready's wedsite for sale in three sizes.

Default CR123a Delrin Waterproof Spare Battery Carrier

There now on Oveready's wedsite for sale in three sizes.
    They look good

Here is a pic compairing the Oveready Carrier to the County Comm Carrier.

Last edited by Glock 22; 11-27-2012 at 12:34 PM.

Default CR123a Delrin Waterproof Spare Battery Carrier

Thanks for posting the pics

Is that suitable for 18350/500, or is it just larger in size, but still only for 16340?

Does the Oveready carrier feel strong at the keyring attachment? It looks like it has less material than the county comm in that area.

Cheers
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MattSPL View Post
    Thanks for posting the pics

Is that suitable for 18350/500, or is it just larger in size, but still only for 16340?

Does the Oveready carrier feel strong at the keyring attachment? It looks like it has less material than the county comm in that area.

Cheers
    Matt
    Just larger in size, yes it does feel strong enough to be used on a keyring. Very tough and well built.

Ok, looks good. It must be bomb proof, because the smaller county comm is already very solid

Flashaholic*

I have the Tube-a-ton (Post #31). It fits an Energizer lithium AA at each end snuggly. The problem is when you try Eneloops or IMR14500 they only go three quarters of the way in then get stuck. I guess the inside of the tube has not been machined properly as it tapers in slightly. I might try the sandpaper on a stick routine some time.

The Delrin Safe (Post #51) is very substantial for an 18650. Really it's too much unless you intend running it over regularly with a truck. I'd like to know what it was originally designed for.

I've got some Oveready offerings in the post.
    Last edited by brunt_sp; 06-13-2013 at 08:52 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123