What does EDC mean, seriously...

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened
I know, I know; dumb question sure to invoke a laugh or two, but I'm a bit serious here. I'm the new guy in town, and I'm just trying to understand specifically what people mean when they use this acronym. I've gathered EDC means Every Day Carry. The flashlight you carry with you daily. So my question would be more along the lines of, do you carry a light with you at all times? For instance, I always carry keys, a phone, a wallet, a lighter, and a knife with me. Always. Always in my pockets. I've thought about adding a light to my keychain if I could ever find one small enough that I deemed impressive enough. Clearly that would be EDC.

Beyond that, I work nights and always have a light either in the door pouch of my truck, in my hand, or next to me on a table (just upgraded to the TK41). To me, that would be my EDC because I carry it daily (only at night though) for work. If I didn't work nights, I would probably rarely have a flash light on me. I would have one near the front door for GP. Would that then be considered EDC? I see EDC used a lot, and sometimes I have a hard time imagining someone walking around, sunny afternoon, with a 2 D maglite in their pocket "just in case"

My question is, what does EDC mean to you? I'm guessing its just a grey area, open to the interpretation of the user. Thanks for the noob help guys.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a EDC light that lives in my pocket (and another on my keys). I also keep a bigger light in my work bag / day pack depending on what day it is. I guess that counts as EDC since it's always immediately available, every day.

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always have a Drake on my medical necklace and at least 1 more in my pockets, but these change every so often....Robert.

DimmerD

Enlightened
Maybe we should come up with another one called ENC (every night carry) for the night owls!
EDC is exactly that, always have one in your pocket and a backup nearby.

guardpost3

Enlightened
An EDC item for me is always on me, its something that can withstand day to day use and fill its intended role well. You may have a hard time imagining it, but I do carry a flashlight on me all day, even if its sunny. I work nights too, and the flashlight is different on-duty than it is off-duty. The biggest thing to remember, is that to most of us here, EDC is not only a single item but a lifestyle. We are trying to be as prepared as we can be for anything that might happen thru the day. Thats why alot of us dont only carry flashlights, but knives, multitools, guns, etc.

Also, something that might qualify for an EDC role for me, may not for someone else.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
My EDC lights are truly EDC
i have a Muyshondt Aeon around my neck all the time, unless I'm swimming or in the shower.
i also have a Sunwayman V10R TI in a belt holster, it's on me whenever I am wearing pants (most of the time)

Pic I am going out at night I will add either a SF 6P or 9P - both with LED dropins.

If I am working at night, or I think I will need it I will grab either my Ryobi one+ xenon light, or my Maxabeam - and leave them in the boot of the car unless I actually need them

My wife EDC's her lights a little differently - a SF G2 in her car, and a V10R in her handbag

Edc really is whatever it means to you - I Edc close to 2 pounds of stuff on my belt and in my pockets, plus another couple of kilos in my bag (which only gets carried to work and back)

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened
I appreciate the feedback guys. I EDC a good deal of things myself. My car (although relatively new and reliable) has a decent size fully loaded toolbox in the trunk, all automotive fluids in a storage container in the trunk, etc. I also have multiple lights in all of my vehicles and conceal a firearm whenever I feel the need or desire.

I feel a bit more at home around this neck of the woods now, so thanks again!

It's actually rather interesting to hear what people carry around each day and how they carry it; it could really spark some good ideas among people.

Last edited:

JemR

Newly Enlightened
To me EDC means you have it "with you" In your pocket or bag. But if you work from a van or car then also in there. So, you know where it is when you leave the house and you've made a point of taking it with you. With a keychain light you have made that decision when you first clipped it to the ring.

Last edited:

guardpost3

Enlightened

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
I carry a AA light everyday. I'm retired but do lots of things like work on cars, appliances and computers and home repairs. My 50+ year old eyes appreciate the extra light when reading part numbers, labels, find screw holes, etc. I use it often, my light is almost as important as my glasses and much of my use is during the day. Sometimes I'll grab a different light if I know I will be outdoors at night.

Illum

Flashaholic
A good way to illustrate an "EDC" is the pair of glasses worn by the otherwise hopelessly blind person. It takes on an indefinite shape and can be attributed to anything that you carry on you at all times. Your underwear is an excellent example of EDC, unless you hail from the Scottish highlands :)
EDC does not classify a light, it does not mean the light has to be compact, it doesn't even have to do with lights or where it is placed. Depending on where I am and how concise your definition of an EDC is, only about 5% of what I carry daily actually consist of lights. The smallest piece of gear is probably the eyeglass screwdrivers and the largest is probably the folding carbine in my duffel, neither attracts alot of attention and both are perfect for carrying to the office. [Family owned mom and pop shop]. For lights though, I once EDC'd everything from a 3D Mag85 [I was a student then, my backpack has a place designed to store an umbrella] to a SF M6 [Worked as an inventory manager, hoot-owl shift] until I changed jobs. I think the Surefire L4 has been EDC'd for the longest, since 2008 I think. its been sporting an MCE after I think 2009. In my opinion lights on the bedstand isn't really ENC, ENC would more relate to the light around your neck or the socks your carrying. Imagine if there was a fire alarm or something more horrendous that forcefully evicted you from your house into the yard. What you have on you while on your way out is what your ENC consisted of.

Hope that helps, :)

Bigpal

Enlightened
I also think of it as one of the essentials you bring with you, like phone or wallet.

Although probably not considered an EDC, the Inova Microlight is great. It can light your path in the dark and is programmable. Man, I love that thing. Lost it not too long ago and had to immediately go to Home Depot to replace it.

slingsy

Newly Enlightened
May be odd, but I carry an E1B in my pocket daily and my Klarus Mi x6 is on my keychain. Klarus being the light used most throughout day to day work. Edc for some if not most is just having things handy that you would need for any given day.. and not having something when you need it is the worst. So it could possibly go on the edc list. TBH it is a very overused acronym, but it is what it is.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
LOL

Its whatever it means to you.

To me, if you have it every day...its EDC.

The C part, to me, means you carry it...but, I can see how that can mean on a duty belt, or, in a pocket, or in a back pack if you have it with you, etc.

I count stuff in the truck/car, etc, if its a regular use scenario too.

:D

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an Elzetta M-60 in my backpack, which I carry with me during the day and I have several "pocket" lights that I carry with me at all times. These consist of an HDS Rotary, Vital Gear FB-1 with E2D bezel, McGizmo 1x123 with Lumens Factory head, FM 3P and SF E1B.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can tie a rope to a string, andd tie the end of the string to a thread. As long as you are mindful of the limitations of the weaker links, you are just a little careful pulling from your rope. So a fauxton on your keys might be just the thread to get to the bulkier, heavy duty light or other tool in bag, car, drawer etc. I do the Batman thing to some extent but prefer to switch gear locations around and focus on situational awareness.

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDC has 4 basic categories, so what EDC means if different for everyone

keychain
pocket
holster
tool box/shelf

for me
keychain = 40DD and Photon II
pocket = Nitecore EX11.2 or McGizmo
holster = Thrunite TN 11 or Klarus XT11
tool box/shelf = anything, usually Klarus XT11 or SkyRayKing

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
When I get dressed to walk out the door, I have on my person: Watch, Wallet, Keys, Light, Knife, Pen, Cellphone - that's my EDC.
Light is usually a Groovy! Knife is a sprint run Para2.
If I'm driving, I have a Thrunite Ti and SAK Classic, as well. But I don't ALWAYS grab that set of keys.

When I put on my coat, voila, I have a Surefire with Malkoff, and another knife - but I don't always wear a coat.
Each of my cars has more of this type of gear in the glove box, and a bag in the trunk with more, including light, knife, tools and emergency gear.
In my daily driver I have a maxpedition "EDC" bag with a knife, light, leatherman, and other stuff.
If I'm going to step or cycle away from home, office, or car I'll grab that - but since it isn't always on my person, I don't consider it part of my EDC.
But that's just me.

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me EDC means ON me. If I walk out of the car and go to a store, everything that stays in the car I don't count as EDC... I call it car EDC (like oil, rags, car flashlight, car knife, car pens, maps, rain poncho, etc.)

Yes, I do have a keychain light, but that's just in case I forget my actual EDC light or run the battery down. I also carry a small pocket knife and most of the time a pen (plus wallet and keys). Weekdays, I EDC 2 flashlights on my belt since I often nearly run the battery down on one of them.