Maxpedition - Active Shooter Bag 3

Thread: DIY Waterproof housing for powerful budget light ( lots of picts)

Default DIY Waterproof housing for powerful budget light ( lots of picts)

hi all,
    ive been building the second waterproof housing for powerful budget light
    Fandayfire STL-V2 3XML 2x18650.

plan

Simply putting the light into the aluminum pipe is too long for me.
    so only the light head separated from body is used under water.

concept is simple but implementation is not so easy.

the head is in the large alumi pipe and four 18650 batteries (2s2p) in thin alumi pipes.

Flashaholic

Default Re: DIY Waterproof housing for powerful budget light ( lots of picts)

Heatsinking? I don't imagine there would be much airflow for the head if it's in an aluminium pipe, even if the pipe is cooled by the surrounding water. Would convection alone be enough for a 3 XML head or have you some other way of dispersing the heat?

Does this light have thermal throttling just in case?

Wouldn't a canister option be a simpler proposition? At least you'd have the thermal path problem resolved that way.
    Ed

@Trevtrain
    i think heat is not serious problem under water as the light head fits well in the alumi pipe
    and this light (also most of powerful budget lights) does not drive the LEDs most fully.
    test after building would clarify it.

@Doc ED
    i would like to produce NO 'canister type' light.
    compact, powerful and easily used both under water & on land is my favorite.
    so i originally designed this light, small battery canisters placed around the main light canister.

anyway i made the adapter easily connecting the head with circuit.

Do you have access to a lathe?

Do you have access to a lathe?
    no. what means this question?
    a lathe is NOT good tool for me. it would shave not only metal but also space, time and money...

i roughly & temporally assembled the light and checked its switch circuit. it worked well.

What I mean by 'access' is do you know where you can use a lathe somewhere? I am not saying you should buy one and yes they cost a few dollars.

The point I want to make is that for a 3*XML head with 4*18650 batteries it seems a little over-engineered. With a lathe you could put it all in one tube with clean lines and less bulk. You could fit it in a BC pocket.

Nice work by the way.

What about bringing the batteries down around the diver's arm like a watch? Could fit a small strap at the bottom, would save on needing a goodman handle, make it easy to handle and would fit a drysuit nicely.

sorry for slow progress & replies.

main component has been almost built.

lighting test on land

compared it with TR-J1 & DRY.
    left column: original figs under same camera condition. right:up gamma value to 2.0.
    the distance between light and fence was about 5m.
    the length of the fence lighten up in right column was about 4m.
    left figs is similar to those under water. right figs look brightness with naked eyes on land.

DRY is slightly brighter than this light.

some improvement:

adapter: alumi plates transfer the heat of light head to canister.

initially i planed the light head is inserted from rear side. but it is easy to insert the head from frontal side.
    so rebuilt the housing and i can insert the light head from both frontal & rear sides.

you could put it all in one tube with clean lines and less bulk.
    i know what you say. but this is another idea.
    side battery cases makes the light length short.
    finally the battery cases will be connected thermally with canister and works as heat radiation fin.

What about bringing the batteries down around the diver's arm like a watch? Could fit a small strap at the bottom, would save on needing a goodman handle, make it easy to handle and would fit a drysuit nicely.
    it will be canister light with very short cable? it would be nice idea...or not so good. it would not be easy to handle acutually.