DIY Waterproof housing for powerful budget light ( lots of picts)

hanachan

Newly Enlightened
hi all,
ive been building the second waterproof housing for powerful budget light
Fandayfire STL-V2 3XML 2x18650.

plan
2378_2.jpg

Simply putting the light into the aluminum pipe is too long for me.
so only the light head separated from body is used under water.
2378_1.jpg

concept is simple but implementation is not so easy.

2378_3.jpg

the head is in the large alumi pipe and four 18650 batteries (2s2p) in thin alumi pipes.

Trevtrain

Enlightened
Heatsinking? I don't imagine there would be much airflow for the head if it's in an aluminium pipe, even if the pipe is cooled by the surrounding water. Would convection alone be enough for a 3 XML head or have you some other way of dispersing the heat?

Does this light have thermal throttling just in case?

hanachan

Newly Enlightened
@Trevtrain
i think heat is not serious problem under water as the light head fits well in the alumi pipe
and this light (also most of powerful budget lights) does not drive the LEDs most fully.
test after building would clarify it.

@Doc ED
i would like to produce NO 'canister type' light.
compact, powerful and easily used both under water & on land is my favorite.
so i originally designed this light, small battery canisters placed around the main light canister.

anyway i made the adapter easily connecting the head with circuit.
2380_1.jpg

2380_2.jpg

hanachan

Newly Enlightened
Do you have access to a lathe?
no. what means this question?
a lathe is NOT good tool for me. it would shave not only metal but also space, time and money...

i roughly & temporally assembled the light and checked its switch circuit. it worked well.
2383_1.jpg

2383_2.jpg

Klem

Enlightened
What I mean by 'access' is do you know where you can use a lathe somewhere? I am not saying you should buy one and yes they cost a few dollars.

The point I want to make is that for a 3*XML head with 4*18650 batteries it seems a little over-engineered. With a lathe you could put it all in one tube with clean lines and less bulk. You could fit it in a BC pocket.

Nice work by the way.

demonic69

Newly Enlightened
What about bringing the batteries down around the diver's arm like a watch? Could fit a small strap at the bottom, would save on needing a goodman handle, make it easy to handle and would fit a drysuit nicely.

hanachan

Newly Enlightened
sorry for slow progress & replies.

main component has been almost built.
2412_1.jpg

lighting test on land
2412_2.jpg

compared it with TR-J1 & DRY.
left column: original figs under same camera condition. right:up gamma value to 2.0.
the distance between light and fence was about 5m.
the length of the fence lighten up in right column was about 4m.
left figs is similar to those under water. right figs look brightness with naked eyes on land.

DRY is slightly brighter than this light.

some improvement:
2412_3.jpg

adapter: alumi plates transfer the heat of light head to canister.

initially i planed the light head is inserted from rear side. but it is easy to insert the head from frontal side.
so rebuilt the housing and i can insert the light head from both frontal & rear sides.

you could put it all in one tube with clean lines and less bulk.
i know what you say. but this is another idea.
side battery cases makes the light length short.
finally the battery cases will be connected thermally with canister and works as heat radiation fin.

What about bringing the batteries down around the diver's arm like a watch? Could fit a small strap at the bottom, would save on needing a goodman handle, make it easy to handle and would fit a drysuit nicely.
it will be canister light with very short cable? it would be nice idea...or not so good. it would not be easy to handle acutually.