Emitter swaps, easy as?

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, only torches I've performed emitter swaps on are Novatacs, easy because i followed guides on here and bought said emitters from suggested dealers.

I want to get into making my reasonable torches into fantastic torches so here is my question.

Is it as easy as throwing an led at said torch and hope it lights up once soldered in place or do i have to work out various voltages, currents, given the size of emitter would fit in the torch.

Hope to get some great advice guys

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Nope.... it can be that easy if the LED design/board fits well but many newer LEDs are designed different than older ones and at times that can require much more effort also the lower operating voltage can make them brighter but runtime may drop also from them being driven at higher currents on some designs (which can in turn generate more heat also).
I think original light design is the major factor. If it uses emitter boards then it can be as easy as a board/LED swap (with perhaps a shim to match focal placing).

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok so how about a thrunite ti or a eagletac d25c, i would consider these new lights and new emitters, this is the sort of level i would be dealing with, unless a i feel the need to swap out the emitters in some older torches but at that point im sure i will find guides and similar older leds.

What would be the best method to carry out before starting a project to come to a viable conclusion on wether or not to continue?

Thanks

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I would suggest you read reviews of those lights and search to see if they are easily modded as a lot of lights the heads are glued on such that you can almost destroy the light to get it off. My advice is unless you are changing the emitter for tint considerations (high CRI or neutral/warm white) then swapping in a slightly better emitter is not going to be worth it for negligible output difference.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah but its worth fixing things until they're broken...

But yeah tint and beam character are top, more efficiency means more lumens usually when going to newer/ higher binned leds

Flashlight Enthusiast
it is easy but you need mechanical skills and tools/chemicals to break
epoxy and loctite bonds without destroying components for some lights

may need to buy a light for yourself and wreck it before doing it to a keeper of the same model

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Like 127 said... it is not always just that easy if you are willing to pay the cost of destroying a few lights by chance to
learn then go for it otherwise you may be better suited to sell your light(s) when new ones come out and the difference
may be what new emitters and investing in parts and loss in "experience" could cost you. I have upgraded a few lights including
an old mag LED and the time it took me if I was paying myself that originally $20 light would now cost $45 but I got the emitter
for $1 had some arctic alumina adhesive already and took over an hour to figure out how to do it.

Latest posts