• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Haiku XP-G or XM-L???

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trying to see the general consensus on which the members prefer and why...

Vote and post away please! :D

scout24

Flashaholic
I like the XPG enough to not even have been tempted by the XML... Smooth, even beam with plenty of bright spill, decent hotspot, "punchy flood" as was coined by Policescannerman. The lumen numbers don't point to a real noticeable difference in output, imho. More light in the spill, a larger less defined hotspot for the XML as per the beamshot or two out there. I think the XPG is more of a general purpose beam. My $.02, I'm sure you'll get other opinions just as sure the other way. Either way, the best EDC light on the planet. :) Enjoy!

I see you're in NYC- If you're ever across the TZ bridge into Rockland, shoot me a PM beforehand if you want to check out the XPG or 119 high- cri... :wave:

Last edited:

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have the xpg haiku, but i can honestly say that i would probably prefer the XML, IMO.
Thank you Jake. Any specific reason why? I'm just trying to get a feel for people's preference.

I like the XPG enough to not even have been tempted by the XML... Smooth, even beam with plenty of bright spill, decent hotspot, "punchy flood" as was coined by Policescannerman. The lumen numbers don't point to a real noticeable difference in output, imho. More light in the spill, a larger less defined hotspot for the XML as per the beamshot or two out there. I think the XPG is more of a general purpose beam. My $.02, I'm sure you'll get other opinions just as sure the other way. Either way, the best EDC light on the planet. :) Enjoy!

I see you're in NYC- If you're ever across the TZ bridge into Rockland, shoot me a PM beforehand if you want to check out the XPG or 119 high- cri... :wave:

That is a very generous offer. If I ever head that way, I'll keep that in mind! Thank you for your descriptive input!

jake royston

Enlightened
Thank you Jake. Any specific reason why? I'm just trying to get a feel for people's preference.

Most of what I use my lights for is just around the house at night, looking for things I drop, looking around the car, etc. Mostly up close stuff. In my two years of collecting flashlights, I've been doing the same thing everyone else has been doing...... searching for the best EDC light possible. When I started, much like anyone else who is just starting out, I was a lumen junkie. I didn't care about tint, I just wanted the highest numbers and brightest, most defined hotspot. As I started carrying a light every day, I noticed that what I needed wasn't a bright hotspot, and lots of throw, but a nice smooth beam with decent output, and good tint to back it up. That's when I fell in love with the XMLs, and neutral and Hi CRI tints (still waiting for the Hi CRI XMLs!). For outdoors I also prefer XML because it lights up a larger area, giving you a greater range of view compared to xpg. When I go out for an extended period of time, I usually Cary an xpg light as a backup.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the xpg, when paired with an OP reflector, but I just tend to prefer to carry XML lights as my EDC.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you run4jc! Which do you find it better as EDC?

Sorry I am so long responding, but others have already shared my sentiments. For me, the XPG gives enough throw with flood to be a good general purpose 'user' light. The XML is awesome - it's floody, with less hot spot, and for my purposes the XPG's beam profile works better.

You can't go wrong with either one!!

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Prefer some throw in the Haiku as I already have the Ti PD Mule for closeup works. Furthermore aesthethically the xp-g is more appealing than the much bigger xm-l (its my preference).

2bits

Newly Enlightened
I'm debating this exact question for myself. Already decided on Haiku 2AA. I've been looking, but haven't yet found the following info: typical tints we can expect from xpg vs. xml, and lumens between xpg vs. xml. I'm not a lumen junkie, just a data point I'm curious about. If anyone can link me to right thread(s), I would appreciate it. Like I said, I've been looking, and just need a little help with the search. Thanks.

Last edited:

mr.snakeman

Enlightened
I too find that I prefer the XP-G. Transition from the hot spot to the edge on the Haiku is very even and I like the slighty better throw ability of the XP-G compared to the XM-L.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes a person should just leave well enough alone. For me it's xp-g/xp-g2 and it's not even close. Back to my first statement, I had a stock warm xp-g light engine in my Haiku. I saw a ad where a member wanted to trade his xm-l engine and reflector for xp-g internals. I was curious and his gear was modified with a custom GDuP board as well. I have since replace it with my own 4 speed GDuP but I really do not like the beam of the xm-l in the Haiku at all. To say it is close in throw to the xp-g in this light is a gross overstatement. Indoors the xm-l is nice. A very even almost full flood beam but outdoors anything past 20 feet, fergitaboutit. After having experienced both led's in the Haiku I would choose xp-g 100% of the time. With the updated xp-g2 now available I find it hard to believe Don chose to keep the xm-l wave going and discontinue the xp-g. IMO the xp-g in a light this size is the most overall useful LED available all things considered. Just my 2 pennies worth.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
.... With the updated xp-g2 now available I find it hard to believe Don chose to keep the xm-l wave going and discontinue the xp-g. IMO the xp-g in a light this size is the most overall useful LED available all things considered. Just my 2 pennies worth.

First off, I am glad you have a Haiku that you are satisfied with.

There was a fair period of time when I was building and offering the Haiku in XP-G, warm XP-G and XM-L versions. The demand for the XM-L was significantly greater than that for the XP-G and the warm XP-G was never that great in demand; certainly nothing compared to the vocal support it received and how it was championed here on the forum. Personally, I prefer the larger spot angle and greater intensity in spill of the XM-L but the advantage of the XM-L or merits of it over the XP-G goes beyond the image size (resulting in beam distribution) and certainly factored in in my decision along with the obvious demand preference as based on actual requests for lights. The XM-L has significantly greater efficacy over the XP-G and its maximum current rating is twice that of the XP-G. When the XP-G2 came out I did take a look at the specs and considered its merits as touted by Cree. The main selling point was that it is a cheaper (less expensive) alternative to the XP-G which had no significance for me.

I understand and respect that many have preferences in these lights that I am not offering and that is unfortunate. However I am a one man show and have been building lights for a while now. It is much easier for me to keep the fire burning in my desire to build lights when my selections make sense to me and are in keeping with my preferences and perceptions of best choices. Everyone is entitled to throw in their 2 cents worth but I have to put in a lot more than 2 cents if I am going to offer something and I can only offer so much. :shrug:

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don to say I am satisfied with my Haiku would also be an understatement. I'm glad that the opportunity presented itself to give the XM-L a try in this light without having to buy a whole new light. God knows I can't afford another full light at this time. I apologize if my post came off as overly critical. I don't want to be one of those guys that questions how somebody does their job esp. since I am NOT a flashlight builder. You do yours brilliantly. I also appreciate your response here. After reading it I have learned just a little bit more and that's what this is all about. Thank you.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the XP-G version and just ordered the XM-L version yesterday.
Looking forward to comparing both.
Don't think one will replace the other, glad to have both in my pocket.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the XP-G version and just ordered the XM-L version yesterday.
Looking forward to comparing both.
Don't think one will replace the other, glad to have both in my pocket.

Absolutely correct, they will not replace each other. Each and every emitter ever offered by Don is a champion in their own right. That goes to show that the Haiku platform is such a wonderful system. I can't wait to see future emitters being offered for the Haiku.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Verdict is in. I like them both.
XML Isgreat for walking the dogs around home. Flood is perfect s I don't need distance.
At the cabin the XPG works better as I do need to scope further with more wildlife in the area.