Best LED for Flood?

Aepoc

Enlightened
I'm currently designing a multi-function flood and spot light. I will be using probably around 6 XML LEDs with small reflectors for the flood function, but I'm not sure what LED would work best for spot. I am hoping to use an aspheric lens with whatever LED I choose for spot.

What LEDs provide the best throw when used with an aspheric lens? What size lens would give me the best throw/size ratio? Is there any optic out there that would provide better throw than an aspheric lens?

LilKevin715

Enlightened
What LEDs provide the best throw when used with an aspheric lens?

You are looking for a LED with the highest sufrace brightness relative to surface area. Currently the best in that reguard is the XR-E.

What size lens would give me the best throw/size ratio? Is there any optic out there that would provide better throw than an aspheric lens?

Generally speaking irreguardless of lens type (aspherical, TIR, parabolic reflector) the larger the lens the greater amount of throw (hotspot lux).

Aepoc

Enlightened
XR-E was what I was thinking... Nothing newer has come out yet? Has anyone found a good way to use multiple emitters as spot... say three XR-Es with some sort of optic? My experience is that any time multiple emitters are used, its difficult to get a nice collimated beam. My concern with using a single XR-E is that the output would be insignificant when compared with the multi XM-L array...

Flashlight Enthusiast
a spotlight made from multiple XML will need a very complex (math-wise) deep reflector, or aspheric lens, or both,
or multiple lens layers....
doable, but it is gonna be costly to get right

Aepoc

Enlightened
Okay, so here's the configuration I am considering:

ledarray.jpg

I'm not sure what to do to get the most throw out of the single XR-E in the center... My original idea was to use small reflectors for the XM-Ls to provide the flood and a small aspheric lens (~20mm) for the XR-E. I'm worried that the small aspheric lens won't provide enough throw...

I have been tossing around the idea of using a single large aspheric lens to cover all of the LEDs; My goal being to center it over the XR-E to provide maximum throw. If I went this route, I would not use reflectors for the XM-Ls. My question is: What would the large lens do to the light produced by the XM-Ls? Would they still provide flood in this scenario, or would the aspheric lens somehow collimate their light even though they are not centered?