William Henry??

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
A local knife store has a nice selection of these in the back. Seems they are not selling all that well around here ( more blue collar type knives sell well).
There are a couple that I like, and think they might be motivated to sell, but, my question is...

Are these something that should sit on the shelf or EDC? ( I want to EDC it, like my lights).

The one I am looking at is "reasonably" priced IMO, and not overly ordained with bling. Nice Damascus blade, simple handle & a few jewels.

My current EDC knive is a Swiss Army 1.5"blade, or my Kershaw Leek.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are nice knives, well worth carrying if you want to carry a upper level quality folder. Can you collect them, sure, but in my opinion they are meant to be carried and used. Very few current good makers blades are really meant to be safe queens. But that is me, if I own it, I want to use it, I dont have a place in the collection for safe queens. That said their price point can make one squemish about abusing them.

Most of them are what I would call gentlemans folders, meant to be used but not rough use cowboy on the farm type stuff either. If that is what you want to be able to do, guiltlessly, you might be better served with a midrange folder like a SOG, AG Russel or something like that.

One idea might be to do something similar to what I do, I carry two knives, one is my slicing blade, one cuts like a demon. That demon is small, a serrated Spyderco Cricket that stays clipped to my change pocket, but it cuts through dang near anything. If it wont cut it, I need a saw or a hachett.

Last edited:

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks
that was sort of my thought.
I want to use it. Mostly office stuff, opening packages, nothing serious, but I like a blade handy, and IMO it looks good. ( The Patikka is nice & small).
My Kershaw is the cabin/hiking knife. It has a serated section that slices through the tough stuff.

What I don't like on my SAK, is the lack of a locking blade :( , but the small blade is all I really need.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to collect knives. I have a lot of them. I've carried my William Henry for several years. It can be sharpened sharper, it holds an edge longer, it rides in my pocket with my Peak Vesuvius and a small measuring tape. All the time. Every day. William Henry knives are very expensive custom made knives, but will last a lifetime with careful use. I used mine twice today. Once you own a William Henry knife, you won't need anything else.... unless you're skinning an elk!

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
NOw that I have decided to get one, I am rethinking the size. The one I originally had my eye on is a B04, it is nice and small so would make a good EDC. Don't need larger, but for only a bit more $$ I could be a slightly larger blade and body, and still not be "too big".
This is worse than buying a light.

Incidentalist

Enlightened
Knives ARE worse than lights. If you think there are a lot of options when it comes to lights, it is ten fold when looking at knives. I was way into knife collecting before I got into the flashlight thing. Started the same way too, buying lots of mid range tools before moving onto the more expensive items.

I have two William Henry knives, don't remember the model numbers as they are at home in the safe. Mine are safe queens, but mostly that is because they are both autos and it's not legal to carry them around these parts (much less owning them). They are easily some of my nicest knives and I'd love to add some more to the collection. That said, some of the WH stuff is gaudy IMO, way too overdone for my tastes.