LED Colored + Colored Lens OR White + Colored Lens? Dual Brightness LED & LED Count?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ongaku

Newly Enlightened
LED Colored + Colored Lens OR White + Colored Lens? Dual Brightness LED & LED Count?

I have an ex 250 (ninja) that I'm changing the stock and modded 1157 bulbs to led smd bulbs (bay15 i believe). I have found contradicting posts and verbal assurances between people, both friends and strangers a like on this topic and I'd like to clear it up once and for all.

So the story goes like this:

When placing an led light in a covered - coloered - tail light such as a brake/running light, do you use colored led with colored lens (ie red with red) or do you use white with the colored cover?

Argument #1) Colored with color because the led emits solid color red, but white is combined colors and red would get "filtered out" and thus be less bright.
-Question: is a colored plastic tail light a true "filter" that would only allow red through?
-Question: by "bright" do they mean the light itself is bright, producing a single round bright circle or would it illuminate and reflect off the reflectors better and be brighter than red?
-question: it has been stated that the longer red wavelength is more efficient than wite, how does this affect?

Argument #2) White with colored lense because it would be "brighter" than red, though more of a cherry color. - not sure on the reasoning behind this, its what a theater lighting friend said, she failed to elaborate.

Argument #3) colored led with clear lens - not really wanting to do this because 1) id have to but new lenses 2) may not be legal here

So thats my story.

Dont know if anyone has any suggestions on bulbs such as - 64 leds vs 102 leds etc, etc, Also, 1157 is supposed to be a "dual filament" bulb with two brightnesses but a guy on the ninja forms said the 1157 bulbs he ordered only stayed on brake light and he had to add - i think - a relay of some kind. When i contacted the ebay merchant they said they werenot dual leds ???? i noticed some 1157 led bulb bases had oval tips that protruded and some that round that were flat. Could this have been the cause?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Re: LED Colored + Colored Lens OR White + Colored Lens? Dual Brightness LED & LED Cou

I have an ex 250 (ninja) that I'm changing the stock and modded 1157 bulbs to led smd bulbs (bay15 i believe).

That may be, but we won't be discussing it here. The lighting modifications/products you're asking about ("LED bulbs") are illegal and unsafe. Rule 11 of this board prohibits advocating illegal activity.

Update: Ongaku, you have disabled private messaging so I cannot respond privately to your request that this thread be reopened. Therefore, I am responding in public:

Ongaku said:
Can you please reopen my thread and I will elaborate. I modded my bike to have extra brake light/running lights in the side pods - but due to the extra draw of watts id love to change them to leds so my other lights dont dimm when braking. The mod i did uses the stock 1157 incandescent bulb/socket. It is not illegal for me to change those side pod bulbs as long as the do not - run blue, flash, etc - and as long as i keep the stock incandescent in the main pod.

It appears you do not properly or fully understand the regulations that apply to lighting devices on roadgoing vehicles -- including your Ninja. The modification you have made to the "side pod" lights is not legal or safe, nor are the "LED bulbs" you want to install. Discussing or advocating illegal activity is not allowed on this board, so the thread will remain closed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.