My New Alpha Under Way...

CrazyIvan2011

Enlightened
I have just ordered my first Alpha from Jason...and I have to say I am really excited, and awaiting in anticipation for this light!
I have had HDS lights (still awaiting one), amongst a bunch of other normal production lights etc...but I have never really had a custom flashlight like this before.

I just wanted to say, his web site is very well done, laid out well, very informative...explaining your choices and options in great detail. And in depth videos of the whole process are right their! Usually I have to scour the net for research on new products im after, but Jason has his own and links to impartial reviews from a variety of places.

The best thing is...as I have read, is the man him self! I emailed Jason with a load of questions, and got very quick and helpful advice back...which in the end sold me. A great honest guy to deal with, who makes the whole thing not just a purchase...but an experience. I already like my light...and I don't even have it yet...but I know it is being made by good hands!

Just though I would share my early experiences with this surely up and coming success. I am sure there will be lots of good things to come from DarkSucks in the future. :goodjob:

Raze

Enlightened
Agreed. Jason is a cool guy.

His lights are simply amazing, and very well thought out. I do enjoy mine.

Mind sharing which Alpha you're getting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please pardon typos.

Zandar

Enlightened
I had an experience similiar to yours, as I've exchanged over 60 emails with Jason, to date. Almost everything I've learned about led flashlights has come from him. His service both before and after the sale has been exemplary. You will not be dissapointed with your light.

Zandar

Enlightened
Opps, perhaps you'll be "disappointed" with my spelling as it's "similar" to the real words! Yes, I wrote this late at night, at work, with my Alpha safely in my back pocket. I can see my elementary school teachers, in my minds eye, shaking their heads at me now!

CrazyIvan2011

Enlightened
Agreed. Jason is a cool guy.

His lights are simply amazing, and very well thought out. I do enjoy mine.

Mind sharing which Alpha you're getting?

...Im getting the Alpha Blue Lable, full brushed with MCE neutral. Didn't know if I should have got the XML, but after talking to Jason, I decided to get the MCE. I prefer neutral tints, and wanted a powerful flooder (like the Zebralight SC600w). Ive never had an MCE light before, so not sure what to expect...but I know it will be good. :thinking:

PaleBlueDot

Newly Enlightened
Hello! I also ordered my Alpha, and paid for it an hour ago! I got the exact same as you, Alpha blue-lable in full brushed finish with a neutral XML as the only difference to yours. I also paid for the Journeyman bundled package just to get the maintenance kit and all the different buttons! I went with the XML since I really wanted a bit more oomph! in the lumens department and a slightly larger hotspot than the MCE as well. If you aren't happy with the MCE and I am not happy with the XML, we can switch :laughing::laughing:

I also agree that the service Jason gave me really pushed me towards Prometheus lights as opposed to other very high quality custom manufacturers in the same price range. I was originally looking for a custom titanum CR123 edc light and ended up buying an Alpha so I don't know how that happened:crackup:

I hope your Alpha gets to you quickly and safely since I am in New Zealand and I know how the waiting period for intl. orders can be!

Cheers

rasnum

Newly Enlightened
I've been using my alpha shorty brushed MCE neutral for a month. I use it everyday. It is an absolute joy to use, to unscrew and charge, because of the details put in to the design. It feels solid and weighty. I have three blue trits installed by jason on the head and that makes finding it easier during my overnight calls. I'm very happy with the light, and I was even happier with my transaction. Jason is a true professional.

What is new at Dark Sucks? Any new products coming out?

PaleBlueDot

Newly Enlightened
I've been using my alpha shorty brushed MCE neutral for a month. I use it everyday. It is an absolute joy to use, to unscrew and charge, because of the details put in to the design. It feels solid and weighty. I have three blue trits installed by jason on the head and that makes finding it easier during my overnight calls. I'm very happy with the light, and I was even happier with my transaction. Jason is a true professional.

What is new at Dark Sucks? Any new products coming out?

What battery are you running with taht shorty tube? I already have an EDC light, well one on the way, the HDS 200 clicky so the Alpha will most likely be the primary house/property/walk the dog light. I was actually looking at the shorty tube so my Alpha can be my edc until the HDS gets here in six weeks.

dy5

Newly Enlightened
I have the same light, and I can reinforce what others have said: the Alpha with the MCE neutral is really nice. There is some throw, but it is mostly flood and quite a smooth beam pattern. On HIGH, it feels like you're lighting up everything in the area. The LOW and MEDIUM settings are perfectly fine for walks in the neighborhood. The full-size Alpha also fits well in my hand, and is quite comfortable to carry.

Raze

Enlightened
I have the same light, and I can reinforce what others have said: the Alpha with the MCE neutral is really nice. There is some throw, but it is mostly flood and quite a smooth beam pattern. On HIGH, it feels like you're lighting up everything in the area. The LOW and MEDIUM settings are perfectly fine for walks in the neighborhood. The full-size Alpha also fits well in my hand, and is quite comfortable to carry.

Precisely why I chose the MC-E over XM-L. I really love how the emitter fits perfectly into the Ledil Boom reflector, creating a very even bright beam that lit up the whole area. I love the faceted reflector as well - something other than the quintessential stippled reflector we're used to. Other than that, the extra 30-mins of runtime is a boon.

My #109 Alpha is Full-Brushed with 3 ice blue trits in the tailcap. I also got the Shorty body in matching full-brushed finish, and it really feel nice to hold as it's weighty.

I ran it with an AW 18350 IMR cell.

CrazyIvan2011

Enlightened
I am really looking forward to the MCE neutral. I love XPG and XML neutrals, so this will be different. I mainly use my lights on medium or low, so I prefer spill and flood to all the lumen's wasted in just a hotspot. I like everything to be lit up evenly, flood lights and neutrals are much easier on my eyes...so I have high hopes!

And how did you request the trits? I would love to get a couple fitted to mine. I have enquired, just a waiting response :thumbsup:

PaleBlueDot

Newly Enlightened
Sheesh, now you are making me wish I had gotten the MCE NW instead of XML NW lol. Maybe I will send the head back for an LED replacement after playing around with it for a while :) Or maybe Ill just buy another Alpha in stonewash...

CrazyIvan2011

Enlightened
Well I really wanted to get the XML...but I think it was just because I naturally wanted the extra lumens? Jason convinced me to go for the MCE, as I have sensitive eyes...and really prefer neutral tints.

The best XML neutral I have is the Zebralight SC600w...and a nailbender p60 drop in. But on high...the Zebralight especially, it becomes more white in the hotspot and looses some spill/flood...not as even a transition from the hotspot to spill (in my opinion anyway).

So the MCE sounds better for my needs, and ive never had one. But if it is Jason's choice...I am sure he went through a few before making it his 'makers choice'.

We shall see...but I can not wait! This Alpha will be the 'jewel' in my collection, but I intend on showing it the world:twothumbs

Raze

Enlightened
I am really looking forward to the MCE neutral. I love XPG and XML neutrals, so this will be different. I mainly use my lights on medium or low, so I prefer spill and flood to all the lumen's wasted in just a hotspot. I like everything to be lit up evenly, flood lights and neutrals are much easier on my eyes...so I have high hopes!

And how did you request the trits? I would love to get a couple fitted to mine. I have enquired, just a waiting response :thumbsup:

Just talk to Jason and he will work it out. I picked ice-blue trits to match the blue o-ring. Now he has blue tailcap boots to offer. Awesome!

Yeah I prefer the MC-E, but mine's in 5700K Cool Daylight White. I went spelunking with my Alpha awhile back. The trit glows like some alien device in the pitch black.

One cool thing about this light is how it will develop a patina over time and use. I really love how the Ni darkens at places where the light got handled the most. I rub the light with my hands and some Meguiar's Metal Polysh paste to restore the shine to a burnished finish, but I prefer the tarnished look.

PaleBlueDot

Newly Enlightened
Forgive me if I am hijacking your thread, but I just received the tracking number from Jason so hopefully by this time next week, I have a brand spanking new lightsaber in my hand.

CrazyIvan2011

Enlightened
Just waiting for Jason to get back to me on the trits. And not hijacking at all...glad to here you got the info! If you don't mind me asking, how long has it taken, from order to tracking info?

PaleBlueDot

Newly Enlightened
Just waiting for Jason to get back to me on the trits. And not hijacking at all...glad to here you got the info! If you don't mind me asking, how long has it taken, from order to tracking info?

Not at all, mate. I paid for my light on a Wednesday early AM in NZ, so must have been night in CA but I still got my shipping info in less than a day after I paid :) He also did me a little favour so I don't get hassled by NZ customs. Jason is such a nice stand up guy to talk to so I am hoping he makes a smaller light so I don't have to look elsewhere for a true EDC light.

Raze

Enlightened
Not at all, mate. I paid for my light on a Wednesday early AM in NZ, so must have been night in CA but I still got my shipping info in less than a day after I paid :) He also did me a little favour so I don't get hassled by NZ customs. Jason is such a nice stand up guy to talk to so I am hoping he makes a smaller light so I don't have to look elsewhere for a true EDC light.

Have you given some thoughts for the Shorty Tube?

Hey all, Do you think we should create a "Your Prometheus Lights" thread at the Dark Suck sub-forum? All the other custom makers has such fan threads, and Jason definitely earned one.

By the way, did you get the Alpha Saber, by any chance?

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey all, Do you think we should create a "Your Prometheus Lights" thread at the Dark Suck sub-forum? All the other custom makers has such fan threads, and Jason definitely earned one.

I'd put some pictures up on such a thread ;)