Recommend me a 2AA thrower that is better than the Eagletac D25A2 Clicky w/ XP-G S2

HtR

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys.

First post but I have been lurking here for a few months before deciding to participate in this great forum.

My requirements are as follows :-

a). EDC using belt holster
b). 2AA only with preference for Eneloops.
c). Has to be a thrower (at the very least, a better thrower then the D25A2 Clicky XP-G S2).
d). Clicky tailcap switch for thumb activation preferred. Don't like twisties.
e). Moonlight and other low lumen runtime modes will be welcomed.

Based on the above, I jumped at the chance to buy the new Eagletac D25A2 Clicky with XP-G S2 in cool white. It has been more than 2 weeks with that light and overall very happy with it despite some rumblings from the cpf forums regarding several QC issues with the new Clicky series.

But you know what..........I hate to admit this.....I am turning to the 'Dark' Side..... slowly becoming a flashaholic, although most here will call it 'enlightenment'.

No sooner has the dust settled from my D25A2 acquisition, I am thinking I 'want' another 2AA unit for edc, nevermind that I don't 'need' one with the Eagletac on hand.

Are there other 2AA lights out there, of comparable size to the D25A2, that will outthrow it but at the same time more or less matching it in terms of brightness ? One thing that I am impressed with the D25A2 is how bright it is on Turbo for such a small 2AA unit.

I have read selfbuilt's excllent D25A2 Clicky review. He did list the Fenix E21 as a superior thrower to the D25A2 but I don't like the E21 for lack of features. The other one he mentioned (4Sevens Quark AA2 Cool XR-E R2) seem to be out of production (if I'm not wrong).

How about the 4Sevens Quark Turbo QB2A ?? Can someone clarify if this will outthrow the XP-G S2 D25A2 ?

Any other recommendations ?

Thanks guys.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Dereelight Javelin is a good 2aa light, SJ is the Fenix TK20 if you can still find one.

The quark turbo might not out throw your Eagletac, the Eagletac P20a2 is great for its size too, especially if you can get an xpe

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
If ET ever gets the xt-e sorted out, get that one, and sell the xp-g version.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for the Quark Turbo 2xAA if you like moonlight and other low modes in a thrower.

Bigpal

Enlightened
Funny, because I am shopping around for 1 or 2xAA also. I'm looking at:
Fenix LD22, Jetbeam PA20, BA20, Klarus ST20, Luma Trust 1, Olight T25, TC15 and Quark Turbo.

Anyway, link removed. also has a lightly textured 2 x AA light that boasts 325 max. Forward clicky with momentary on, 3 mode, ipx8. This might run with the D25A2, or if you want to stay with ET, check out the P20A2.

Both of these are lightly textured though so would probably look the same. And believe it or not, you may get better range from an LD22 with 190lm because of the deep, smooth reflector.

I don't know how flexible you are, but I think I am going to stay in AA size, but step up to 14500 batteries. This will open a whole new world. Link removed. See banner at top of page.

Last edited by a moderator:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know how flexible you are, but I think I am going to stay in AA size, but step up to 14500 batteries. This will open a whole new world. Link removed

A lot of lights go into direct drive mode when using Li-ions.... the PA10 is one of them. You will loose the lower modes if you run a 14500 in it. The Quark will operate normally with a 14500 (using a 1xAA tube), but you also won't get 650 lumens. Choose your poison.

Last edited by a moderator:

HtR

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys.

I must say this forum is quite the end-word when it comes to advice on flashlights.

Yes, hopefully ET will sort out their xt-e units sometime. Be interesting to see how well the xt-e stacks up against the competition.

Meantime, CarpentryHero certainly piqued my interest on the Deerelight Javelin. I am not so flexible going to Lithium territory at this time. Will stick with 2AA Eneloops. However, I am flexible enough (no budget limit) that I am seriously considering getting a Javelin with a whole range of Lego-able add-ons, including their 3AA body. Seeing that the Javelin comes with only 3 levels of brightness, it will not match the Eagletac for sheer number of lighting modes, but given the spread of the 3 levels on offer, I can happily live with the Javelin. Now, I got to start to familiriaze myself with the various Javelin options.

Expensive hobby.