SYSMAX Ind./Clike to find more about Nitecore flashlights!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: HDS Clicky 140, 200 & N170 Low Mode Runtime Tests

Default HDS Clicky 140, 200 & N170 Low Mode Runtime Tests

Who doesn't love runtime tests?!?!

There has been considerable discussion about the lowest level runtimes of the new HDS Clickies. So, for your enjoyment, I'm doing runtime tests on my two Clickies: both are new firmware ACME style lights. One is a 140, with Osram GDP, one is a 200 with XP-G. They are stock from Henry, no mods.

I have programmed them both to the minimum level, .07 lm. and then loaded them with unused SF primaries, EXP 02/2013. The test began at exactly 12:00 AM, 6/19/2012.

I'll let you know how it goes. Feel free to talk amongst yourselves in the meantime.

The result for the two lights noted above was somewhere between 138-144 hours.

Edit:

I am adding a third test now that there are new emitters and firmware being used. I am doing a runtime test on a new Clicky N170 with Nichia 219b on its new lower low, .02 lm with a fresh Battery Station CR123.
    Last edited by nbp; 07-16-2014 at 08:44 PM.
    McGizmo Haiku Review Mac's Tri EDC Review MY LIGHTS!! McGizmo: Get It, Use It, Love It. Why buy a cheap bright light when a dim expensive one will do?

Default Re: NEW HDS Clicky 140 & 200 Runtime Tests

Well while we're waiting for the results, can y'all go over the programing thing again?

This should be interesting, I look forward to seeing the results.
    I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness. Jesus Christ - John 12:46

when did you originally order them?
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

I got them last December or so. They were warranty replacements for some wonky lights I had. I waited maybe 8-10 weeks for them at the time after sending in the originals.
    McGizmo Haiku Review Mac's Tri EDC Review MY LIGHTS!! McGizmo: Get It, Use It, Love It. Why buy a cheap bright light when a dim expensive one will do?

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Who doesn't love runtime tests?!?!

There has been considerable discussion about the lowest level runtimes of the new HDS Clickies. So, for your enjoyment, I'm doing runtime tests on my two Clickies: both are new firmware ACME style lights. One is a 140, with Osram GDP, one is a 200 with XP-G. They are stock from Henry, no mods.

I have programmed them both to the minimum level, .07 lm. and then loaded them with unused SF primaries, EXP 02/2013. The test began at exactly 12:00 AM, 6/19/2012.

I'll let you know how it goes. Feel free to talk amongst yourselves in the meantime.
    So you are using SF batteries that are roughly 9 years old?

Seems a good place to start. I would be quite interested in the runtimes of batteries that are that old. I've got a few batteries at home with expiry dates of 2016. The rest are 2020.

Retaining capacity after being stored this long shouldn't be a problem... The oft-tossed about figure for CR123's is 10 years to about 80% original capacity. I believe it's 20 years for Energizer Lithium AA's.
    I love my HDS/Ra Clicky... My only wish would be a 5th(accessible thru a 2click press) mode, and a 2AA tube.

How can you survive that long without two of your flashlights
    "Life is tough, but its tougher when you're stupid"--John Wayne
    "Luceat lux vestra" = Let your light shine, [in Latin]

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM

Yes.

Send me any cells you want and I'll do the test with them.

AFAIK, SF is the only brand that even puts expirations on their CR123s so you may be using 9 yr. old cells and not even know it.

Anyways, I used these because I figured no one would question the quality of the cells as SF cells are universally accepted as high quality. And if their engineers feel that the cells are still good after 10 years, I guess I'll take their word for it.

I could do it again later with other cells if these are questionable to folks.

Quote Originally Posted by luceat lux vestra
    How can you survive that long without two of your flashlights
    I have more lights. To be honest, these don't get a ton of carry anyways.

Still running, not that it is a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM View Post

The good thing is when we arrive at an answer to how long the runtimes are. We can expect to have an even longer rumtine when using newly produced batteries

Will these runtimes be relevant to people with rotaries? Or is that completely different?
    I sometimes use lights to make my photographs.

Quote Originally Posted by someguy4747
    Will these runtimes be relevant to people with rotaries? Or is that completely different?
    I think It's the same firmware so it will probably be close, although some have mentioned that they feel the Rotary switching mechanism eats some power. I'm not smart enough to answer that question.

I think It's the same firmware so it will probably be close, although some have mentioned that they feel the Rotary switching mechanism eats some power. I'm not smart enough to answer that question.

Once my new-style rotary arrives (August? Fingers crossed) and I can let go of it for a few days, I'll give it a shot and share data. Even if I have to blow $10 for a non-rechargeable cell at Wal wart, it'll be good to put this question to rest. Now, who can do it sooner than that?
    My biggest light-hog is my camera.

As I understand it, the Rotaries are less efficient because of the circuitry in the dial.

Quote Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
    As I understand it, the Rotaries are less efficient because of the circuitry in the dial.
    128 hours is enough for most of my uses. Although I'm interested in a mechanism I saw once in a dream?

An RCR123-sized device. It sacrifices half its capacity for a spinning top. I recall the visceral feel of spinning it and feeling the dynamo humming, which can't be true. Rotating the top (Like a pepper grinder) spins a dynamo, charging the Li-Ion cell in it (16170 size?). In this odd daydream, I remember having my battery die, and calmly opening the flashlight to sit in a dark tunnel spinning the top of this battery for a couple of minutes. I then proceeded on 'low' level.

Well, I don't have one of those...just batteries.

49 hours in.

Thought there'd be more interest in this. Oh well, that's OK.

80 hours in this morning.

The best weapon in the world is a flashlight. . . . Why? . . . So you can look deep into the other guy's eyes.

im very interested.... i never got around to doing a runtime test with my clicky. i couldnt deal with the downtime. hehe
    *Image removed - WAY too big!!

812 views. Looks like a lot of us are quietly waiting.
    Ra 120/XPG -R4, Ra 100w, SC50W, H51+W, SC31W, H501W, Sunwayman V11R High CRI, DEFT FTP, McGizmo HD45, MR. Bulk Ti Dragon/RPM set, Mini 123W, 2 olight M20 Warriors, Alu ITP A3 & Ti ITP A3.

Quote Originally Posted by notsofast View Post
    812 views. Looks like a lot of us are quietly waiting.
    +1 i'm one of those eagerly waiting the results

As am I.

Welcome guys.

There's plenty of and to go around!

96 hours and counting!

Yay! 120 hours!

Nice!
    Did they both go about the same time? Or are they still going?

Bump for runtime. The drive circuit can give what, 20% variance on runtime?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnbeck180
    Nice!
    Did they both go about the same time? Or are they still going?

Ha, good question, I didn't make that clear sorry. Now we are 129.5 hrs and they are still running.

Well, they both konked out since I last checked them about 6:30 pm, which means they got somewhere between 138-144 hrs of runtime.

Once I discovered this, I tried to click them back on to their turn-on level and both came on. They're set to something like 20 lm or so upon initial activation. They both ramped up to find their max output level, which looked to be 5-10 lm. Now they have been on a few minutes, and are periodically dropping down a level at a time. It seems that the rest they got allowed the cells to recover a bit and are trying to squeeze a little more out of them.