HDS Clicky 140, 200 & N170 Low Mode Runtime Tests

nbp

Flashaholic
Who doesn't love runtime tests?!?! :rock:

There has been considerable discussion about the lowest level runtimes of the new HDS Clickies. So, for your enjoyment, I'm doing runtime tests on my two Clickies: both are new firmware ACME style lights. One is a 140, with Osram GDP, one is a 200 with XP-G. They are stock from Henry, no mods.

I have programmed them both to the minimum level, .07 lm. and then loaded them with unused SF primaries, EXP 02/2013. The test began at exactly 12:00 AM, 6/19/2012.

I'll let you know how it goes. Feel free to talk amongst yourselves in the meantime. :grin2:

The result for the two lights noted above was somewhere between 138-144 hours.

Edit:

I am adding a third test now that there are new emitters and firmware being used. I am doing a runtime test on a new Clicky N170 with Nichia 219b on its new lower low, .02 lm with a fresh Battery Station CR123.

Last edited:

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: NEW HDS Clicky 140 & 200 Runtime Tests

Well while we're waiting for the results, can y'all go over the programing thing again?

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast

This should be interesting, I look forward to seeing the results.

nbp

Flashaholic
I got them last December or so. They were warranty replacements for some wonky lights I had. I waited maybe 8-10 weeks for them at the time after sending in the originals.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Who doesn't love runtime tests?!?! :rock:

There has been considerable discussion about the lowest level runtimes of the new HDS Clickies. So, for your enjoyment, I'm doing runtime tests on my two Clickies: both are new firmware ACME style lights. One is a 140, with Osram GDP, one is a 200 with XP-G. They are stock from Henry, no mods.

I have programmed them both to the minimum level, .07 lm. and then loaded them with unused SF primaries, EXP 02/2013. The test began at exactly 12:00 AM, 6/19/2012.

I'll let you know how it goes. Feel free to talk amongst yourselves in the meantime. :grin2:

So you are using SF batteries that are roughly 9 years old?

ScottFree

Newly Enlightened

Seems a good place to start. I would be quite interested in the runtimes of batteries that are that old. I've got a few batteries at home with expiry dates of 2016. The rest are 2020.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Retaining capacity after being stored this long shouldn't be a problem... The oft-tossed about figure for CR123's is 10 years to about 80% original capacity. I believe it's 20 years for Energizer Lithium AA's.

luceat lux vestra

Enlightened

How can you survive that long without two of your flashlights :tired:

nbp

Flashaholic
RobertM said:

Yes.

Send me any cells you want and I'll do the test with them.

AFAIK, SF is the only brand that even puts expirations on their CR123s so you may be using 9 yr. old cells and not even know it.

Anyways, I used these because I figured no one would question the quality of the cells as SF cells are universally accepted as high quality. And if their engineers feel that the cells are still good after 10 years, I guess I'll take their word for it.

I could do it again later with other cells if these are questionable to folks. :shrug:

luceat lux vestra said:
How can you survive that long without two of your flashlights :tired:

I have more lights. :grin2: To be honest, these don't get a ton of carry anyways.

ico

Enlightened

The good thing is when we arrive at an answer to how long the runtimes are. We can expect to have an even longer rumtine when using newly produced batteries

nbp

Flashaholic
someguy4747 said:
Will these runtimes be relevant to people with rotaries? Or is that completely different?

I think It's the same firmware so it will probably be close, although some have mentioned that they feel the Rotary switching mechanism eats some power. I'm not smart enough to answer that question. ;)

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think It's the same firmware so it will probably be close, although some have mentioned that they feel the Rotary switching mechanism eats some power. I'm not smart enough to answer that question. ;)

Once my new-style rotary arrives (August? Fingers crossed) and I can let go of it for a few days, I'll give it a shot and share data. Even if I have to blow $10 for a non-rechargeable cell at Wal wart, it'll be good to put this question to rest. Now, who can do it sooner than that?

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast

As I understand it, the Rotaries are less efficient because of the circuitry in the dial.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

As I understand it, the Rotaries are less efficient because of the circuitry in the dial.

128 hours is enough for most of my uses. Although I'm interested in a mechanism I saw once in a dream?

An RCR123-sized device. It sacrifices half its capacity for a spinning top. I recall the visceral feel of spinning it and feeling the dynamo humming, which can't be true. Rotating the top (Like a pepper grinder) spins a dynamo, charging the Li-Ion cell in it (16170 size?). In this odd daydream, I remember having my battery die, and calmly opening the flashlight to sit in a dark tunnel spinning the top of this battery for a couple of minutes. I then proceeded on 'low' level.

nbp

Flashaholic
Thought there'd be more interest in this. Oh well, that's OK.

80 hours in this morning. :)