XML power source question

cwloo

Newly Enlightened
I am trying to drive a single XML T6 with a spare 5v 2A adaptor. It runs fine but I noticed the cable heat up considerably. Is the heat coming from the extra 2v ? Is that safe to run such condition?

I am trying to drive a single XML T6 with a spare 5v 2A adapter. It runs fine but I noticed the cable heat up considerably. Is the heat coming from the extra 2v ? Is that safe to run such condition?

I'm assuming you are not direct driving this?

You need a regulator, constant current, preferably one that does not dissipate the extra energy as heat.
[h=1]6-18V 3000mA 3-Mode Circuit Board for XM-LT60 Emitters[/h]
5$ at DX. There are other options.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
An XM-L pushes more than 2A at 5V, so right now your adapter is being run pretty much in 'fault' mode and might as well be shorted. It won't last long (the adapter).

Easiest way to drive a single XM-L is with a DC/DC driver as per listed above. You then feed the DC driver from an appropriate source, which is typically any 12volt adapter with sufficient amperage.

If you want to drive multiple XM-Ls there are other options.

cwloo

Newly Enlightened
I'm assuming you are not direct driving this?

You need a regulator, constant current, preferably one that does not dissipate the extra energy as heat.
6-18V 3000mA 3-Mode Circuit Board for XM-LT60 Emitters

5$ at DX. There are other options.

Yeah, I am direct driving this . Any other option available ?

cwloo

Newly Enlightened
An XM-L pushes more than 2A at 5V, so right now your adapter is being run pretty much in 'fault' mode and might as well be shorted. It won't last long (the adapter).

Easiest way to drive a single XM-L is with a DC/DC driver as per listed above. You then feed the DC driver from an appropriate source, which is typically any 12volt adapter with sufficient amperage.

If you want to drive multiple XM-Ls there are other options.

Is there any different running the meanwell LED driver APV-12-5 (http://www.trcelectronics.com/Meanwell/apv-12-5.shtml) which is also rated at 5v @ 2amp ?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i guess voltage sag of the adapter saves the led, cuz at 5v it should fry like right away,

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mean Well looks like it's designed to drive another driver downstream. Fixed voltage in this circumstance won't help you.

For driving multiple XM-L's Mean Well makes a whole pile of AC drivers in the 2-3amp range. Not sure where to start.

For DC/DC applications looks at some of the flashlight drivers on Kaidomain or DX that Purduephotog mentioned.

cwloo

Newly Enlightened
The Mean Well looks like it's designed to drive another driver downstream. Fixed voltage in this circumstance won't help you.

For driving multiple XM-L's Mean Well makes a whole pile of AC drivers in the 2-3amp range. Not sure where to start.

For DC/DC applications looks at some of the flashlight drivers on Kaidomain or DX that Purduephotog mentioned.

I found a cheap source for AC-DC adaptor with 3.3v 2.5amps output. I think those are produced for network router which is quite a good candidate for driving a single XML without much complication. Will be testing it once I receive the shipment.

For DC/DC application, there's a chip call GS6300 (http://www.shoptronica.com/images/GS6300.pdf) which is capable to provide constant current up to 3amps with input from 4.5V to 40v. Any electrition which is good at the diagram and provide a simple guide on resistor required for 2 & 3 amps ?