upgrading from princeton tec remix to ZL H51W or H51FW ?

monkeybutt

Newly Enlightened
I would prefer the more diffused lamp but need at least as much 'throw' as the remix. I realize this is a very subjective example but I can get somewhat useful light (can tell if my dog is eating something she shouldn't be) at ~ 20-25 yards. If someone who has both of these lights could comment that would be excellent,but any and all perspectives would be greatly appreciated.

Thank...Rob

August West

Newly Enlightened
I am really far from an expert, I just upraded from a Wally world 19.95 energizer headlamp to an H51. Only thing I wanted to say is that you will be for sure be able to see what your dog is doing at 20 yds with an h51. Chris

August West

Newly Enlightened
Not sure if this helps at all, like I said this is my first ZL and am knew this high end flashlight thing. Anyway here is a couple of pics, one natural light in my house the other with my h51. If you want tonight when it gets dark I can take a pic in my backyard at a measured 25yds. Chris

IMG_1591.jpg

IMG_1592.jpg

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own either, although I did give an H51F to my brother last year (I know, not one of the ones you're asking about).

All of this might already be redundant info for you, but the ZebraLight "F" versions have a frosted lens, so if you need to see a bit farther I think the H51w would be a better choice than the H51Fw. The H51Fw will give you a nice diffused effect as you seem to like, for a more even spill with barely detectable hot spot, but won't (I don't believe) reach as effective far as the H51w.

The difference might be small enough that you could live with it, but if you're talking about what you can see clearly at 60 to 75 fee out, it might be make enough of a difference to consider not going with the frosted glass version. Again, this is the opinion of a non-owner. I do own both F (frosted) and non-F versions of the H600, so have a little bit of frame of reference for what's probably a decent guess (but still just a guess).

monkeybutt

Newly Enlightened
That would be great chris, I really appreciate you going out of your way to post beamshots!

Anyone have any input on the H51F or H51FW ?

monkeybutt

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Varuscelli,

I have never owned a good headlamp let alone any of the lights in question, so all info is good info.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the H51 and the H51f. The H51f is my favorite by far. I've even put a piece of tape over the H51 to diffuse it. I think, given your description, that you probably want the H51f.

You will see your dog I believe. Where you can tell what he is eating from that far away I don't know :)

You can always carry a smaller aspheric handheld thrower if you really need to check out your dog further away than that.

The choice is subjective of course. I really find it annoying to have a headlamp at night that isn't diffused as that sharp outer edge of the spill (the sharp cut-off) is very distracting to me. That's why I put tape over my H51.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're welcome (for whatever my input is worth).

One slight bit of interesting trivia about the ZebraLight designations/model numbers has to do with the F designations. When I first started perusing the ZebraLight products list and tried to interpret all the model designations, I found the "F" in the model numbers confusing.

I originally thought the "F" meant "flood" and it took me a while to see that the "F" really just meant "frosted" or "floody" (with quite a difference existing between "floody" and "flood" beam types). Back at that time -- when I was looking at my first ZebraLight -- the only flood was the H501/H501w.

Given that all the "F" designated lights have frosted lenses and are shown as "floody" rather than "flood," "F" for frosted seems to make sense, and any ZL lamp that's listed with an F has a frosted lens and represents using the frosted lenses to achieve the floody description in the beam type. Really, in the ZebraLight designations, "frosted" and "floody" might as well be used interchangeably -- if it's frosted, it's floody...if it's floody it's because it's frosted. The truer floods (H501, H502) have no such designation in their model number, but those that are made floody by virtue having frosted lenses do carry the "F" designation.

Again, I originally found that really confusing (what the heck does "F" mean?)...especially when trying to figure out which ZebraLight I wanted when I was really unfamiliar with their offerings.

OP, I think you already know this stuff, but I think anyone who goes through the learning curve with ZL offerings struggles at least a bit understanding the model numbers and what different parts of those numbers mean.

August West

Newly Enlightened
Varuscelli I'm not monkeybutt but I sure appreciate it, being a noob I didn't know what those letters meant. My light is just the plain h51 I think, is there any way to tell? Chris

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're welcome, Chris. It was amazing how many threads I had to read and how many times I went over the ZebraLight spec sheets to get comfortable enough to make a choice on my first ZL headlamp -- and decisions on "what headlamp is right for me" or "which next headlamp" are always seemingly difficult with so many choices.

I'm not sure what to tell you on your version other than to look at the original receipt, where I think it would be spelled out as far as exact model number. I don't think it says anywhere on the lamps themselves.

jinya1004

Newly Enlightened
Its good to know you found my video to be helpful. I have the PT Remix as well and it is actually bit different to the 70lm Eos IMHO.

If I wanted something with as much throw as a Remix but a bit more diffused, I would probably go with a H51 and put some magic tape over the lens as many do.

If you were to tell us what kind of activities you were planning on doing it would help us give you more insight on the light we would recommend.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Varuscelli I'm not monkeybutt but I sure appreciate it, being a noob I didn't know what those letters meant. My light is just the plain h51 I think, is there any way to tell? Chris

One more thing on identification of your H51 (if you still have the original box). The ZebraLight box should have an identification label on it with the specific model identified. However, I notice that when ZebraLight ships their lamps in the small boxes that have the product information label on them, the mailing label typically covers the product information label.

If you've still got your original ZebraLight box, the info should be on it...but perhaps under the mailing label (if you bought directly from ZebraLight). If you bought from another vendor, the ZebraLight box might have been inside another box and the ZL product info label should be visible (likely).

monkeybutt

Newly Enlightened
Hey jinya1004, thanks for the video!

I'll be using the light for walking my dog (off leash) in large open fields and on the beach. I always carry a medium range thrower but if I can see what my dog is doing, raccoons, and most importantly skunks @ ~20 yards
then I don't have to use my thrower constantly. Functionally the remix suits my needs, but the tint makes an otherwise beautiful environment rather drab. I would rather not use tape (I,m kind of a big baby that way) if I can get the 20 yards from the H51fw, if not I'll just have to man-up and break out the tape. When you say 'magic' tape I assume your talking about cellophane (scotch) tape.no?

Thanks,
Rob

tychoseven

Newly Enlightened
As a headlamp, the H51Fw is going to be more versatile than the unfrosted version. I'd describe it as "directional flood"; the light can illuminate objects at 25m depending upon ambient lighting with a soft, diffuse beam.