Is 9005 for high beam use only, if no mod is involved?

geegle

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Glad to meet you all. This is my first post, one step toward three to get rid of long message everywhere. ^^

My car is 2012 Toyota Sienna. I have Xenon Depot's H11 HID kit installed for low beam and stock high beam/daytime running light(9005) and fog light(H11). I started this upgrading after installing HID kit for lower beam as I noticed the color and brightness of stock fog and high/DRL were dull and very yellow and do not match color of the HID kit. By the way, I do not use high beams or fog lights very often, but daytime running light(9005) is running almost full time as it's legally required here in Canada.

For 9005 and H11, I originally started from Sylvania Ultra and GE Nighthawk Platinum and then moved to PIAA and then deleted them from my list after reading threads here about short lifespan and then fianally am looking at Osram's Nightbreakers from Powerbulbs. I was almost to purchase GE NHP and called GE to find out about their warranty policy, but they said 100 hours, a little more than 4 days.

Now, long story short, is 9005 for high beam use ony or is there two types of 9005 for low beam and high beam respectively. At Powerbulb.com, they sell only one kind so I just wanted to make sure if I am buying right one.

Thanks for your help.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

Glad to meet you all. This is my first post, one step toward three to get rid of long message everywhere. ^^

Welcome!

My car is 2012 Toyota Sienna. I have Xenon Depot's H11 HID kit installed for low beam and stock high beam/daytime running light(9005) and fog light(H11). I started this upgrading after installing HID kit for lower beam as I noticed the color and brightness of stock fog and high/DRL were dull and very yellow and do not match color of the HID kit. By the way, I do not use high beams or fog lights very often, but daytime running light(9005) is running almost full time as it's legally required here in Canada.
Illegal. Remove that kit.

The low beams don't need to match anything but the requirements for white light, and in the case of fog lamps, either white or selective yellow.

For 9005 and H11, I originally started from Sylvania Ultra and GE Nighthawk Platinum and then moved to PIAA and then deleted them from my list after reading threads here about short lifespan and then fianally am looking at Osram's Nightbreakers from Powerbulbs. I was almost to purchase GE NHP and called GE to find out about their warranty policy, but they said 100 hours, a little more than 4 days.

The Silverstar Ultras are terrible bulbs; the GE NHP is a decent bulb but to get the extra light it will necessarily have to have a shorter lifespan.

Now, long story short, is 9005 for high beam use ony or is there two types of 9005 for low beam and high beam respectively. At Powerbulb.com, they sell only one kind so I just wanted to make sure if I am buying right one.

There is only one 9005, which is called the 9005 (or HB3). Sure, there are long life and +50 or +80 options or what have you, but a 9005 is a 9005 is a 9005, and with the P20D base it goes only in a 9005 socket, which are typically (if not always) a high beam application. There is no mod for the 9005, any modifications to attempt to make it fit a different socket are not legal, safe, or effective.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
My car is 2012 Toyota Sienna. I have Xenon Depot's H11 HID kit installed for low beam

Welcome to the board. You really need to get that "HID kit" out of your Sienna immediately. You seem to think you have improved the headlamps, but you have not. You have made them dangerous and illegal. "HID kits" in halogen-bulb headlamps or fog/auxiliary lamps (any kit, any lamp, any vehicle no matter whether it's a car, truck, motorcycle, etc.) do not work safely or effectively, and they can interfere with safety-critical electronics in the vehicle, which is why they are illegal. See here.

the color and brightness of stock fog and high/DRL were dull and very yellow and do not match color of the HID kit.

Put the correct bulbs back in your low beams and that "problem" will be solved. If you had real HID headlamps with halogen high beams and/or fog lamps, you might still have this complaint, but you need to realize that halogen and HID are two completely different technologies. They make light in completely different ways, and yes, they are going to look different. You can spend (waste) a ton of money on a bunch of halogen bulbs that claim to match the color of an HID headlamp, but none of them actually look like HID headlamps and all of them reduce the performance of the lamps you install them in.

By the way, I do not use high beams or fog lights very often, but daytime running light(9005) is running almost full time as it's legally required here in Canada.

That is true. And because Toyota chose to operate the high beams at reduced power for the daytime running light function, they will always have an orange/brownish light color. If you put in blue bulbs, they will have a "dirty swimming pool" color. Just leave them alone -- they are safety devices, not fashion toys, and the reality is absolutely nobody cares that your DRLs don't look like HIDs. If you absolutely cannot stand the present setup, then have the high beam DRLs disabled (good luck in Canada; you'd have to take the vehicle to a US dealer service department) and install a turn signal DRL module instead. Bright amber DRLs might be more to your liking than brownish/orange reduced-voltage high beams.

I was almost to purchase GE NHP and called GE to find out about their warranty policy, but they said 100 hours, a little more than 4 days.

Your math is not correct. The high beam bulbs are operated at approximately 6.8 volts for the daytime running light function. Because bulb lifespan is exponential to the power -13 with voltage input, a bulb rated for 100 hours at 14.0v, such as the 9005, will have essentially infinite lifespan at 6.8 volts (OK, not quite infinite, but it might as well be: 1,194,122 hours, which is several orders of magnitude longer than the vehicle will last). So you'd only be taking time off that "100 hours" when operating the high beams at full voltage (as high beams).

Now, long story short, is 9005 for high beam use ony or is there two types of 9005 for low beam and high beam

There is only one 9005 (also known as HB3) specification. There are many varieties of 9005/HB3 bulb from many manufacturers. Some of them have relatively long life and low output, some of them have relatively short life and high output, and none of them have relatively long life and high output.

viper37

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Thanks for your help.
Considering that you asked for advice regarding legal halogen lighting, and not HID's I'll actually answer your question. A 9005 is a 9005, it contains a single 65 Watt filament. A good guide to get you set in the right direction for what bulbs you need is Sylvania's bulb guide. It can be found here:http://www.sylvania.com/en-us/applications/automotive-lighting-systems/Pages/lrgmain.aspx

Happy hunting!

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Sylvania's guide is good for determining what type of bulb is used in what application on a particular vehicle, but it also contains a great deal of propaganda about their "upgrade" bulbs, none of which -- except the Xtravision -- is an actual upgrade; all the rest (Silver Star, etc.) are actually downgrades in terms of actual, real performance.

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
I find that the HIR bulbs are a great choice for 9005 high beams and 9006 low/fog lights. The HIR 9011 and 9012 are worth looking into.

Concerning H11, I thought that many were simply modding H9.

HID kits??? That money is better off spent on beer and ...

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find that the HIR bulbs are a great choice for 9005 high beams and 9006 low/fog lights.

The HIR1 is not a 9005. The HIR2 is not a 9006. The OP refers specifically to the 9005, and refers specifically to not modifying anything.

The HIR2 has no business being in a fog lamp whatsoever, nor does it have any business being installed in a reflector low beam headlamp that does not have a full cap bulb shield. Installing the HIR2 lamp in a non-HIR2 headlamp cannot be recommended blindly; there are many factors involved including original lamp design, presence of the bulb shield, etc...

ChaudMasterFlex

Newly Enlightened
900's don't have the coating on the tip of the headlight bulb and the 9006's do. The coating is what keeps the light from blinding oncoming traffic. 9005 for highbeam and 9006 for lowbeam.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
900's don't have the coating on the tip of the headlight bulb and the 9006's do. The coating is what keeps the light from blinding oncoming traffic. 9005 for highbeam and 9006 for lowbeam.

The 9006 does have blacktop and the 9005 does not, that's correct, but a 9005 is the correct bulb for a low beam designed to use a 9005 bulb. There have been several such low beams I can think of offhand, and probably some that I'm not aware of.

The blacktop is a glare-control element, but it is not the only one -- the reality is more complicated than "9005 bulbs will cause glare because of no blacktop and 9006 bulbs won't cause glare because they have blacktop."

superjoe83

Newly Enlightened
The 9006 does have blacktop and the 9005 does not, that's correct, but a 9005 is the correct bulb for a low beam designed to use a 9005 bulb. There have been several such low beams I can think of offhand, and probably some that I'm not aware of.

hella uses a 9005 in the low beam and high beam version of their 60mm headlight modules, just FYI

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=1800

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Yep, the 60mm Hella single-beam modules take a 9005 in both the low and the high beam version. The Hella BiHalogen projector used in the US-market Saturn Astra (and maybe some other vehicles?) likewise takes a 9005. The Lincoln Mark 8 uses 9005s in its (woefully undersized) low and high beams. The upmarket "Yukon" models of the GMC version of the GMT800 use 9005 in the reflector high beam and projector low beam. There are probably more.

gladis

Newly Enlightened
I think it's worthwhile mentioning that if the OP really wants HIDs he can ask the dealer for a pair of OEM Toyota HIDs. I think in the US they only come packaged with the highest trims (XLE or XLE Limited) or might be an option even then. Obviously cost is a factor, but it still wouldn't be as much as getting the package with all the extra stuff you might not need.

But having said that, I was under the impression that the H11s are pretty decent bulbs, and though I'm not sure if the projector optics in the 2012 Sienna are good or not, I can't imagine them being poor enough to warrant a change from the OP (other than the obvious aesthetic motivations, of course). As for the 9005s, I find that most high beam DRLs are decent, they don't look particularly orange/brown.