anyone know about mint error coins

200fr

Newly Enlightened
i came across a 1996 dime with a "D" mint on the face of the dime there is a half moon shaped cut going through the I and the B of LIBERTY, also there is a N stamped in the center of the head, anyone see one of these befor? what would it be worth $2.00?

200fr

Newly Enlightened
not tonight, mabey tomorrow i can get a pic up,"i will try"to see if i can still do it right

200fr

Newly Enlightened
not to night mabey tomorrow i can get up a pic if i can still figure out to do it

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
well.. i'm looking around for you..

it's hard to figure the cost of a coin with a misprint.. depends on how fine the coin is and how rare the misprint is..

right now i'd say $2 is a close guesstimate.. but i'm not really qualified to say.. i'm a real amateur

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

i'd see if you have a local appraiser.. 'cause as far as i'm aware, misprints aren't really sought after by coin collectors..

BF Hammer

Enlightened
Start asking around at local coin shops. Typically there will be one shop around that deals in coins with minting errors, and the other shops will be able to steer you there so you can get an appraisal. The value of these coins don't fluctuate a lot. I have a Kennedy half-dollar that was not centered in the die and the ridges on the edges were not imprinted. When I finally found the error-coin dealer in my area he said that he would likely pay $16 for it and sell for around $20. Pretty good for a coin I received as change from McDonalds. I hung on to it because I do collect coins on a small scale.