Foxfury Breakthrough

Thread: Help with bin tint and which led to buy to start modding with

Default Help with bin tint and which led to buy to start modding with

So can somebody help me with choosing the right leds to mod my torches with.

I prefer warmer tints but would settle for a neutral tint if lumens increase.

So what do all the letters mean, can i put an XML in place of an old cree emitter wi no change to the stock driver? Or am i better sticking with xp-g and xp-e's

Please help me out guys its driving me mad not knowing how to choose
    'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Help with bin tint and which led to buy to start modding with

Seems that High CRI is the buzz at the moment, CRI being Colour Rendering Index; so rather than focusing on how brightly an emitter can light, it's essentially how well it can light, how close the colours are to daylight rather than being a washed out mess that you can't pick any detail out of. Seems the two main contenders are the High CRI Cree XP-G and Nichia 219.

The new emitters are more efficient, so you may have to be careful depending on the driver of your old Cree; with the lower required Vf for the same current, there could be potentially quite a significant difference in power required, eg. I think the XR-E had a Vf of around 3.5V @ 700mA, whereas the XP-G and XT-E are about 3.05 @ 700mA, and the XM-L is down to around 2.9V @ 700mA; I guess not an issue if your driver is a true constant-current driver, otherwise you may well find you're now driving with 1Amp+ (for example)