Thrunite T10 water-resistance issue, o-rings or lubrication to blame?

Mihakinen

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone!

I just sent this e-mail to ThruNite since both of my T10's were not water-resistant out of the package! Here is what I told them:

"I would like to report a problem regarding waterproofing of both of my
Thrunite T10 lights. As you recall from our previous communication one
of my lights exhibited moisture under the lens. Today I took the time
to take both of my T10 lights and do a very simple waterproofing test.
The light with the moisture problem is my EDC while the other one is
brand new, I only keep it in case the first one is damaged and I need
a replacement. I was shocked to discover that the rubber o-ring at the
body of the light is NOT making proper contact. My test was to
submerge the lights in a glass of water, lens side up, with enough
water to cover approximately 1cm over the lens.

This is by no means a pressure test and a light that claims to be IPX8
should not even get moisture inside, otherwise the claim is false.
Immediately after I put the lights in the glass I noticed air bubbles
coming from the dividing line which meant that air was escaping and
water was getting inside! I removed the lights within 30 seconds as
the bubbles were getting less frequent. BOTH lights had small drops of
water on the inside of the battery tube and on the PCB. I assumed this
would be an o-ring problem so I replaced the o-rings with the ones
supplied as spares with the light. I did the test again and the
results were the same! This is a huge disappointment for a light that
claims to be ANSI-tested and has passed IPX8 water-resistance tests.

I then proceeded to clean and re-lubricate the threads and o-rings
with thick silicon grease, McNett brand made in the U.S.A. Both lights
have been under test for 15 minutes and NO air bubbles have escaped.

I hope that the problem was due to bad lubrication and not due to
faulty design, However, I have to note that the o-rings used in this
light are significantly smaller than the diameter of the threads. This
leads to stretching which in turn reduces the thickness of the o-ring
and makes the seal inefficient. I believe this is something you should
seriously consider, most people would expect a light that has passed
IPX8 testing to be water-resistant to at least 2m of water. This is
clearly not the case with both my lights."

What bothers me more than the possible lubricant issue, is the o-ring stretching and becoming thinner. Has anyone ever had a similar problem with lights with thin o-rings?

Racer

Enlightened
I love my T10, and I use it every day, but I wish they would build it to a higher quality standard. I would pay $15 or maybe $20 more for it personally. Mine has an off center emitter, and it only works on high and low with a 14500. I don't normally expose it to water, especially not after seeing this post haha.

The T10 even with its issues is still my EDC because of the firefly mode. I've used my T10 outdoors and camping in the woods, and even in light rain, but if it falls in a puddle and dies then its backup is a BA10 and a Ti. So, I wish it was a better light but I'm not too worried about it.

But .. if the T10 was a $50 light and the quality really showed, then I would buy it.

Mihakinen

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your opinion on this light, I too feel the same with regards to the quality. I think the price based on the problems that I have with not one but two lights is a bit high, if it was a $20 light I wouldn't care that much. I agree that if they bump up the quality a lot and charge more I would buy another one, still I would wait for a proper and thorough review this time. I hope that I get a reply with regards to the lubrication and o-rings, I have had much cheaper lights without such problems...

Racer

Enlightened
The T10 in my opinion is a good light that could be a great light if they bumped the quality up. Same with the Ti. I would pay double for it if they made it more robust.

I am a moonlight mode addict :)

Thrunites.jpg

arnstein

Newly Enlightened
I experienced a similar failure with an LXP brand flashlight. It too is claimed to comply with the IPX8 standard. I submerged it in water for an hour and there was a lot of water in the flashlight body after that. I posted my experience in the Budget forum last night.

I wonder how common this is. This is outright fraud, no error. I find this to be much more offensive than issues of quality or value.

texas cop

Enlightened
Its been my experience that most flashlight o-rings are for decoration. I've used grease on threads, tightened switches, and replaced o-rings with oversized when I can. Sadly o-rings can't always be found in the right sizes. So I tend to apply grease where I can. I'll be trying Teflon tape on anodized threads soon for a test. I've been bored lately and put a few lights in the pool. I like white Lithum grease near the head on threads as it stays put and dosen't thin or migrate as the led heats up.

Mihakinen

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for your input regarding these kind of problems. From lesser known brands I wouldn't expect full ANSI compliance but from ThruNite I pretty much demand it since they claim that they have tested their lights according to the ANSI FL-1 standard. An update regarding my issue with my two T10's:

"Further to my previous e-mail I would like to report that after the
test I described my EDC light still has problems with the lens
moisture while my brand new backup T10 does not. I suspect a fault in
the lens o-ring of my EDC T10, can that be replaced? I would also like
to add that my brand new T10 does not have any hazing from oil
residue, I ran it for two hours on maximum output, frequently
replacing batteries to keep it as hot as possible, there was zero
hazing from oil residue."

While I am waiting for a reply and a solution to this, has anyone else noticed heavy hazing/clouding when the light runs on High for more than 10-15 minutes? I was surprised to find out that my new one is perfectly clean and my EDC is not, I don't work with oils or in dirty atmospheric conditions so I know that nothing could have gotten into the light and stain the lens from the inside. I also noticed humidity inside when I am using the light doing garden work and water from sprinklers frequently hits the light, basically it is not even splash-proof! That's a pretty big difference for two identical lights made only one month apart!

Ian2381

Enlightened
I just received my T10 and I'm really happy with the light, really love the UI and mode spacing.
I just tested its waterproofing a foot submerged with running water for a few minutes and it survives without any problems.

Will definitely getting another once budget permits.:twothumbs

CyberCT

Enlightened
I've done a lot of research before I started buying good quality high powered flashlights not available in stores. After reading lots of waterproof light reviews of IPX7 and IPX8 rated lights, I found Fenix had the best waterproofing reviews. That was a few years ago. Today I have probably about 9 Fenix lights, all rated IPX8. I have used more than half of them for freshwater snorkeling many times, even down to 7 feet or so to sneak up on a turtle or fish. The lights have not shown ANY sign of water penetration. The other ones I have done waterproofness tests and they have also shown to be waterproof to the same standard. Fenix supposedly tests their lights in 30 feet of water at their factory. I also read on this forum that someone with a Fenix TK35 actually tried to go scubadiving with it, and went down to 90 feet. The lights till worked fine until he hit the mode switch, then the light went crazy going through all the modes. But point is the light was fine afterwards and I put my faith in their waterproofness ratings if real waterproofness is what you're after.