NiteFighter
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: At what point is a "Custom", no longer a Custom?

Default Re: At what point is a "Custom", no longer a Custom?

Quote Originally Posted by the_guy_with_no_name View Post
    Sure, that makes sense.
    I visualize what you are saying as something akin to a sword maker, where each item is forged by hand (whether pre-ordered or not) and each is a unique masterpiece.

I guess the more specific the wording, the more concise of an image/definition it creates.

Perhaps in CPF, keeping it somewhat broad allows room for flexibility but you could easily differentiate:
    custom
    customized
    custom-made
    made-to-order
    individually-made (crafted/machined)

Even then, there may be some ambiguity in deciding where to draw the line?
    Using a mass produced led is ok, but not a mass produced body, how about the reflector, lens, switch, etc?

Something to think about

tgwnn
    It's all about the host, I don't know anyone who currently produces their own LED...do you? I know some have machined reflectors from scratch, and others have designed new switches. Let's not even start wondering who is making custom windows.

And yes, the term Custom is a very broad one here on CPF...and that's okay.
    "I am not a Collector" - Tim

Duplicate

Quote Originally Posted by F250XLT View Post
    It's all about the host, I don't know anyone who currently produces their own LED...do you? I know some have machined reflectors from scratch, and others have designed new switches. Let's not even start wondering who is making custom windows.

And yes, the term Custom is a very broad one here on CPF...and that's okay.
    Thanks for the reply

I had spec'ed making a custom led for the CoreTi, though it would have been a few thousand so that would have become a production led.
    I didn't end up doing it because the spec wasn't going to be near where it needed to be.

I know that Michael at OMG (DEFT) works, test and calibrate's each unit by hand, and although the body's are pre-made (mass), at least to me, those are very very custom.

Nice to have so many opinions and viewpoints

tgwnn

Quote Originally Posted by the_guy_with_no_name View Post
    I know that Michael at OMG (DEFT) works, test and calibrate's each unit by hand, and although the body's are pre-made (mass), at least to me, those are very very custom.
    Examples are tricky too. Henry works, tests, and calibrates each unit before shipping. And few would argue that FiveMega isn't custom, with many items produced 50+ at a time.

Bottom line, one of a kind (true custom) lights are $1000+. There has to be some degree of volume/parts uniformity, to be affordable enough for most (or even many) members.

So if we take the purest form of the word Custom: I contact builder X, tell him what I want that doesn't already exist/isn't available/is one of a kind, he builds me one and ships it, then there aren't really very many true Custom Builders around actually. Who would you guys say fall into that category?
    McGizmo Haiku Review Mac's Tri EDC Review MY LIGHTS!! McGizmo: Get It, Use It, Love It. Why buy a cheap bright light when a dim expensive one will do?

Mirage Man comes to mind

Fred, Brian, and maybe Scott if you can get him.

Custom has come to mean alot it does not as a result of knives and lights and cars.

I believe this word is going in the same direction as tactical...toward meaningless awesomeness.

I don't use the word unless I am selling something.

obi
    Stay sharp and bright for life.
    Have your knife and light handy at all times.
    Sent from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

Oh gosh, don't get me started on "tactical"

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    So if we take the purest form of the word Custom: I contact builder X, tell him what I want that doesn't already exist/isn't available/is one of a kind, he builds me one and ships it, then there aren't really very many true Custom Builders around actually. Who would you guys say fall into that category?
    As mentioned, Fred & Brian...Don't forget JHanko & TB

Quote Originally Posted by Obijuan Kenobe View Post
    Fred, Brian, and maybe Scott if you can get him.

Custom has come to mean alot it does not as a result of knives and lights and cars.

I believe this word is going in the same direction as tactical...toward meaningless awesomeness.

I don't use the word unless I am selling something.

obi
    Fred is PhotonFanatic. Who's Brian? Scott (Milky?) Forgot about MM and JHanko, though JH makes some ridiculously cool stuff.

It seems then that there were more true Customs years ago then, hey? Weren't people like TranquilityBase, Morelite, Erin, etc doing a lot of one-off bodies and heads? Who else does that stuff now?
    McGizmo Haiku Review Mac's Tri EDC Review MY LIGHTS!! McGizmo: Get It, Use It, Love It. Why buy a cheap bright light when a dim expensive one will do?

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Fred is PhotonFanatic. Who's Brian? Scott (Milky?) Forgot about MM and JHanko, though JH makes some ridiculously cool stuff.

It seems then that there were more true Customs years ago then, hey? Weren't people like TranquilityBase, Morelite, Erin, etc doing a lot of one-off bodies and heads? Who else does that stuff now?
    Brian is MM, but I wouldn't include Milky in the conversation....And yes, there were more true customs produced in past years.

The only thing missing from this great thread (Thanks Tim) are pictures.

Jason, aka archer6817j DBA Dark Sucks referred to this as a One-off of a limited edition.
    ~ Hat-Tip to owner/photographer easilyled. ~

Custom, or not? I vote custom.

Formerly owned by yours-truly.
    Oveready "customized" Surefire C2 Centurion & 6P. The colors are Oveready HA "Custom Black", and "Custom Orange". Both were bored for an 18650 battery, had McClicky hard press tail switches, SS bezels, and numerous "Custom" drop-ins.

Custom or customized? I vote customized.

~ Chance

'Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
    Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
    What's Montague? it is nor hand, nor foot,
    Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
    Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
    What's in a name? that which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet;
    So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,
    Retain that dear perfection which he owes
    Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name,
    And for that name which is no part of thee
    Take all myself.

~ William Shakespeare ~
    1400 AD
    Last edited by Chauncey Gardiner; 06-24-2012 at 08:35 PM.
    Benjamin Franklin may have discovered electricity, but Albert Einstein was the first to use it to style his hair.

I think the hand crafted lights are worthy of the $$$$ they bring in.At least the ones ive seen in CPFers pics.
    But i wouldnt call them custom.
    And i dont think the word custom carries anything special to it.
    Hand crafted to me carries more value than custom.I also think a factory light can be moded to meet the special needs
    of someone making it custom but not handmade.
    Union Proud IBEW Local 683

is this custom:
    Sometimes, when I'm feeling down because nothing seems to be going right, I like to take a home pregnancy test. Then I can say, "Hey, at least I'm not pregnant

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    is this custom:
    Its beautifull. did you make it and if so did you have a specific need in mind?
    Union Proud IBEW Local 683

Griff,

I'm going to need more information about the custom flashlight pictured in my new desktop background. Please provide a link.

Thank you,

~ Chance
    Benjamin Franklin may have discovered electricity, but Albert Einstein was the first to use it to style his hair.

The Scott to which I was referring is the Scooter that is TranquilityBase. Scott and Fred are my favorite host cutters hands down, and I am currently working with Fred on the next one. I am also waiting on my 2nd Mac light, and the wait has been a long one. Hopefully it will pan out, as the last TriEDC I had was very very nice.

I have a single mule head by MirageMan that I have fancified to make a very nice aspheric flood ala the XRU, but with better wider optics. I run an XML or a Nichia 119 in it and the beam is flawless. I bother Brian with an email every once in a while about making another, but so far it hasn't happened. This head runs on a McClicky pack and counts for me as a McGizmo in this sense.

I did indeed forget Jeff. I have one light from Jeff, and have had more. I can't seem to completely let his work go. The 3D tail design is just so cool, it seems I will always need to have one in house.

Still, my McGizmos (Ti PD, PD Mule, UV mule, and the special MM mule) are those that ride EDC the most. The rest are special events.

obi
    Stay sharp and bright for life.
    Have your knife and light handy at all times.
    Sent from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

Thanks for sharing your opinions guys...

The CPF distinction between Custom and Non-custom lights seems to be that of scale of production and reach of the manufacturer.

In other words, if the manufacturer's aims are to sell large volumes of its lights and to reach the general public, their lights would be regarded as Non-custom as far as CPF is concerned.

If the aim of the manufacturer is to sell limited numbers of lights and to tailor their audience to people who tend to be more knowledgable and selective (such as CPF'ers), then their lights would be regarded as Custom.

Personal definitions will obviously vary since the non-CPF meaning of the word "custom" is subjective at best.
    There will be as many interpretations as there are people offering up opinions.
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine