Unique Titanium
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 96

Thread: Prometheus Lights - The Showcase Gallery

  1. #1

    Default Prometheus Lights - The Showcase Gallery

    Hi All,

    I thought that we could share here about your fine lighting instruments and creations by Jason "Dark Sucks" Hui of Prometheus Lights.

    Allow me to get the ball rolling with my #109 Alpha MC18-B.





























    I duly apologize if my pics do not meet your expectation as all pics were taken with my iPhone 4 camera. Maybe I'll take cool pics like the Alpha in the snow, sands, etc. someday.

    A brief summarization on why I got the light:

    I was in the market for a high-end light with the following criteria:

    • runs on Li-Ion cells
    • solid, top-notch build quality
    • looks like a well-sculpted piece of art
    • balance of form vs. function
    • value for money, I have limited budget of $300
    • excellent customer & after-sales service
    • multi-mode, at least 500 lumens

    Naturally, I am happy that the Alpha meets and exceeds my requirements. Jason is a blast to deal with too.

    Hope you are as happy with your Prometheus Lights' products as I do.
    Last edited by Raze; 06-24-2012 at 10:36 AM.
    Salving Light in a Bastion of Darkness

  2. #2
    Flashaholic sassaquin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Concord, Massachusetts
    Posts
    441

    Default Re: Prometheus Lights - The Showcase Gallery

    Great photos, they highlight your Alpha very nicely. I especially love the Shorty and wish I had bought one when I had the chance. Hopefully Jason will make another run of them.

    I have two of Jason's zipper pulls and the craftmanship is top-notch, I can only imagine the quality of his lights.

    Good luck with your light and thanks for sharing the photos. Hopefully more Alpha owners will join in.

  3. #3
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    41

    Default Re: Prometheus Lights - The Showcase Gallery

    #110 here

    Today I anodized my Clip blue. The flame coloring was nice, but I wanted it with more blue.







    Quote Originally Posted by archer6817j View Post
    If there is enough interest, then I have interest. Is there interest ?
    Is this the same for Shorty Bodies? And how many do we need to get another batch?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Prometheus Lights - The Showcase Gallery

    Quote Originally Posted by Ore View Post

    Is this the same for Shorty Bodies? And how many do we need to get another batch?
    I'm in!

  5. #5

    Default Re: Prometheus Lights - The Showcase Gallery















  6. #6

    Default

    Awesome pics bigmac! Thanks for the eye candy.
    Salving Light in a Bastion of Darkness

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ore View Post
    #110 here

    Today I anodized my Clip blue. The flame coloring was nice, but I wanted it with more blue.








    Is this the same for Shorty Bodies? And how many do we need to get another batch?
    I love what you did that clip! It looks really cool and matches the light perfectly.
    Salving Light in a Bastion of Darkness

  8. #8
    Flashaholic CrazyIvan2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: Prometheus Lights - The Showcase Gallery

    Here is my Alpha. Not been used to much yet...but I love it, I mean, what a beam!

    Sat with some of its new friends...



    Such a nice fit in the hand...

    \

    The business end, and 'makers' stamp...

    \

    Its companions...




    The fantastic clip...



    Just a great piece of engineering that is built for purpose! I really love my new Alpha...it just ticks all the boxes.


  9. #9
    *Flashaholic* fyrstormer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northern VA, USA
    Posts
    5,732

    Default Re: Prometheus Lights - The Showcase Gallery

    What size battery does the Shorty tube hold? 18350?

  10. #10
    Flashaholic* climberkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Goldsboro, NC
    Posts
    2,045

    Default





    -Alex
    -Alex

  11. #11

    Default Re: Prometheus Lights - The Showcase Gallery

    Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    What size battery does the Shorty tube hold? 18350?
    Yup (or 16340 w/sleeve):

    I now have an IMR to test with so will be adding that to the runtime in my review. Rest of Alpha gallery here.

  12. #12
    Flashaholic* climberkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Goldsboro, NC
    Posts
    2,045

    Default

    That shorty is perfect. Guess I'll have to wait for someone to bore of theirs...


    -Alex
    -Alex

  13. #13
    Flashaholic* run4jc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Back in Sweet Home Alabama
    Posts
    2,739

    Default Re: Prometheus Lights - The Showcase Gallery

    I'll play... borrowing these from a post I did in the LED section... here without the commentary





























    Thanks for building such an outstanding new tool, Jason!

  14. #14
    Flashaholic* scout24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    N.Y.
    Posts
    2,980

    Default Re: Prometheus Lights - The Showcase Gallery

    Pretty lights... Mmmmm... I broke down and ordered a readymade, which should be here Monday...

  15. #15
    Flashaholic* climberkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Goldsboro, NC
    Posts
    2,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Pretty lights... Mmmmm... I broke down and ordered a readymade, which should be here Monday...
    Good choice! What kit did you order?


    -Alex
    -Alex

  16. #16
    Flashaholic* run4jc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Back in Sweet Home Alabama
    Posts
    2,739

    Default Re: Prometheus Lights - The Showcase Gallery

    I believe I can speak for Scout24 and say Master Package - it's such a cool value. My Master Package is awesome!

  17. #17
    Flashaholic* scout24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    N.Y.
    Posts
    2,980

    Default Re: Prometheus Lights - The Showcase Gallery

    Yup! The whole enchilada... Spare switch will fit a bunch of my lights, an extra 18650 is always good, the USB charger will probably live in my truck, spare lens just in case, and the tools would probably cost me more to source individually, even just from a time standpoint. Plus, it supports a maker I expect to see a bunch of cool stuff from in the future!

  18. #18
    Flashaholic* scout24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    N.Y.
    Posts
    2,980

    Default Re: Prometheus Lights - The Showcase Gallery

    Well, the postal service must have known I wanted it for the weekend... Ready-Made, #0183 arrived here today. One heckuva solid chunk of light! Quick first impressions: Very nicely packaged, cool bag for the "extras" that would fit, nice instruction card. The machining is superb. I'd be hard pressed to find fault with the threads, despite the Blue lights being tighter tolerance... SMOOOTH... McClicky is as good as ever, solder on the contact springs in the head and tail is a great touch. Clip is nice and strong. Looking forward to dark, but the beam indoors is fantastic! Nicely spaced levels with a serious High... with awesome tint. Nicely done, Jason!
    Last edited by scout24; 07-14-2012 at 06:01 PM.

  19. #19
    Flashaholic CrazyIvan2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: Prometheus Lights - The Showcase Gallery

    I love the tint on mine...I mean I have a few neutral lights, and a Nicha 219 drop in...but the tint and beam on this is much better! The flood is just amazing, with a perfect transition from spot to spill. Well it does'nt seem like it has a spot, just a wall of creamy light!

    run4jc - could I ask what camera / settings you used for your pics...they are amazing.
    I struggled to get any half decent ones of mine. I was trying in a room that was not greatly lit, but the cam did not like it (its just my poor knowledge)

  20. #20
    Flashaholic* run4jc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Back in Sweet Home Alabama
    Posts
    2,739

    Default Re: Prometheus Lights - The Showcase Gallery

    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyIvan2011 View Post
    I love the tint on mine...I mean I have a few neutral lights, and a Nicha 219 drop in...but the tint and beam on this is much better! The flood is just amazing, with a perfect transition from spot to spill. Well it does'nt seem like it has a spot, just a wall of creamy light!

    run4jc - could I ask what camera / settings you used for your pics...they are amazing.
    I struggled to get any half decent ones of mine. I was trying in a room that was not greatly lit, but the cam did not like it (its just my poor knowledge)
    CrazyIvan2011 - I agree with your comments on tint - it betters everything I've seen, and the beam quality is soooo good.

    Thank you for your comment on my photos - so nice of you to say!! For those photos I used a Canon EOS 40D and 2 lenses. For the close up shots I used a Sigma Macro lens, and for the others I used a Sigma 18-50. Most of the photos I processed with a technique known as HDR processing. You may already be familiar with this, but for those who aren't, you basically shoot 3 or 4 (or 5) 'bracketed' exposures of the same image. Under exposed, normal exposure, over exposed, greater depth of field, etc., then the software combines the images. You can then choose from various forms of processing (I use inexpensive software - Photomatix Essentials) that give you a number of ways to combine the image. You can make the photo appear to be a painted image - you can increase the dynamic range / contrast, etc. Do a web search for "HDR Processing" and you can find much better explanations than mine!
    I did a series of photos with that processing over HERE that I really like. Again, thank you for your kind words!!

  21. #21
    Flashaholic CrazyIvan2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: Prometheus Lights - The Showcase Gallery

    No problems, they are great shots...and so are the ones of the Spy! I have heard of the process (HDR), but not used it my self.

    I only have a Nikon D40, any a couple of lenses. I use to be into landscapes / seascapes etc. I found them easier to shoot, macro etc is more involved I find.
    I want to 'buckle' down and learn more...and all my new flashlights give me something to photograph at hand

    I have a 18-50 lens, but it always says it is too dark, when I use common settings suggested in a few threads I have read in here before. I think I need to try and take some at day time instead.

    But I though if I took a longer shot (to put it crudley), it would simply gather more light and show up?
    Could you suggest some common settings for macro shots (exposure, aperture etc)?

  22. #22
    Flashaholic* run4jc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Back in Sweet Home Alabama
    Posts
    2,739

    Default Re: Prometheus Lights - The Showcase Gallery

    There are a lot of great tips over in the The Dark Room. And out of all the lenses I have, that little Sigma 18-50 2.8-4.5 is the one I use most. I don't want to take the thread TOO far off topic, but it's worth noting that the photos of the Alpha were done OUTSIDE in daylight and holding the camera free hand. Even at 8FPS you must hold very still to capture 3 images without moving.

    The Spy was shot indoors. ISO was set at 1600, and I used a combination of a Canon EZ530 (I think) flash bouncing off of piece of paper taped overhead, and used a Zebralight H502d for supplemental lighting. When no extra lighting is used, I put the camera on a tripod and trip the shutter with a remote release.

    It's really hard to recommend any settings - there are so many variables. You just have to play with it - makes us appreciate digital photography since we can shoot all we want until we get it the way we want it - with no waste!

    And yes, long exposures will capture that light! One technique that is often discussed in the Dark Room is "light painting" - put your subject in a totally dark environment, set your camera on a tripod with a long exposure (1 to 4 seconds - you really have to experiment), and while the shutter is open 'paint' the subject with your chosen light. You can get some really cool effects, or simply provide totally even lighting in the photo by moving the light source at all angles to ensure no shadows are 'seen' by the camera.

    Now, to get back on topic, I can't wait to see some of your new shots of the Alpha with your D40!

  23. #23
    Flashaholic CrazyIvan2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: Prometheus Lights - The Showcase Gallery

    Quote Originally Posted by run4jc View Post
    There are a lot of great tips over in the The Dark Room. And out of all the lenses I have, that little Sigma 18-50 2.8-4.5 is the one I use most. I don't want to take the thread TOO far off topic, but it's worth noting that the photos of the Alpha were done OUTSIDE in daylight and holding the camera free hand. Even at 8FPS you must hold very still to capture 3 images without moving.

    The Spy was shot indoors. ISO was set at 1600, and I used a combination of a Canon EZ530 (I think) flash bouncing off of piece of paper taped overhead, and used a Zebralight H502d for supplemental lighting. When no extra lighting is used, I put the camera on a tripod and trip the shutter with a remote release.

    It's really hard to recommend any settings - there are so many variables. You just have to play with it - makes us appreciate digital photography since we can shoot all we want until we get it the way we want it - with no waste!

    And yes, long exposures will capture that light! One technique that is often discussed in the Dark Room is "light painting" - put your subject in a totally dark environment, set your camera on a tripod with a long exposure (1 to 4 seconds - you really have to experiment), and while the shutter is open 'paint' the subject with your chosen light. You can get some really cool effects, or simply provide totally even lighting in the photo by moving the light source at all angles to ensure no shadows are 'seen' by the camera.

    Now, to get back on topic, I can't wait to see some of your new shots of the Alpha with your D40!
    I got some of the settings I tried from the dark room

    I just need to experiment as you say. I might try using one of my other flashlights to help while indoors.

    My new V10R Ti+ should arrive today...so I am hoping to take some shots of the shinny Alpha next to the shinny Ti+

    Thanks for the advice...I am going to have another look through the dark room. The Alpha deserves top notch photos to make it look its best!

  24. #24

    Default

    Awesome guys! I noticed that apart from Ready Mades, Jason has sold off all of his lights! Wish that the proud owners could share their Alphas here.

    I can't wait to see Jason's Oct batch of lights. I am looking forward to snag my second Alpha.
    Salving Light in a Bastion of Darkness

  25. #25

    Default Re: Prometheus Lights - The Showcase Gallery

    Here's mine. A hard-use, practical review is in the works. I'll be reviewing a few prototype pieces from Jason as well.


    20120714-DSC_5184.jpg by -eth-, on Flickr
    Last edited by MoreToasties; 07-17-2012 at 08:01 AM.

  26. #26
    Flashaholic* ico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    554

    Default

    Can you guys post the wonderful beam I keep on hearing from this beauty?

  27. #27
    Flashaholic* climberkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Goldsboro, NC
    Posts
    2,045

    Default

    Toasties, I can't view your pic on Flickr. It's set to private.


    -Alex
    -Alex

  28. #28
    Flashaholic CrazyIvan2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: Prometheus Lights - The Showcase Gallery

    Is that an Alpha ICE? It looks awesome!

    I look forward to your review, sounds interesting!

    I think I want a bespoke one next

  29. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by climberkid View Post
    Toasties, I can't view your pic on Flickr. It's set to private.


    -Alex
    Oops, sorry! I'll fix that tonight when I get home.

    EDIT: It should be viewable now.
    Last edited by MoreToasties; 07-17-2012 at 08:02 PM.

  30. #30
    Flashaholic* scout24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    N.Y.
    Posts
    2,980

    Default Re: Prometheus Lights - The Showcase Gallery

    Okay, some very quick Alpha Ready-made pictures...


    The business end: 4500k MC-E.


    The other business end.



    Groovy, man...



    Head, with Prothemeus stamp, detail of different machining.



    Body/tailcap/clip junction, with clip profile. BEEFY...



    Broad daylight here in NY, overhead lights on, light coming in through west-facing window on left in pic. Light maybe 4 feet from wall, on high, camera compensating for ambient light. Brighter in person, definitely every bit of 400+ lumens. SWEET... Jason should have quite a list when he gets back, these are solid, awesome lights...

    Last edited by scout24; 07-17-2012 at 02:33 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •