Floundering Lights

bpsealy

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a light/lights for floundering. For those of you who do not know what floundering is I will go in to some details. First off obviously a flounder is a fish who lives on the sea bottom. Where I live you can walk in the shallows (1-3 ft) at night and harvest the delicious fish. For ages we have used the butane lanterns. They are good, but kind of dangerous, hot, expensive etc... Also we like to use a boat in the shallows, but in most cases we need a small generator to power the halogen work lights we use.

I want some lights that are really bright, low power, and penetrate the water well. I would like to power them with simple a 12V deep cycle marine battery to avoid hauling around a generator. I would like to find some LEDs, but i dont know if they will illuminate the sea floor as much as a yellow tinted light. I dont want the surface of the water to reflect the light and make it difficult to see the fish on the bottom. Any advice is appreciated!

bpsealy

Newly Enlightened
mrradlos said:
Never heard of flounder-lights before I saw this.

Have you ever heard of a jubilee? It is a phenomenon where conditions are just right and the oxygen level in the water becomes low and some of the sea creatures (flounder, shrimp, crabs, eels, etc) come close to shore for easy catching! It is awesome! It only happens in two places in the world. The eastern shore of mobile bay in Alabama and somewhere in Japan.

mrradlos

Newly Enlightened
Well, I never seen any sea creaters climbing up the mountain while mountainbikinng at night, I think the sea is to far away here in switzerland ... or I might just nead a stronger light.:huh:

bpsealy

Newly Enlightened
mrradlos said:
Well, I never seen any sea creaters climbing up the mountain while mountainbikinng at night, I think the sea is to far away here in switzerland ... or I might just nead a stronger light.:huh:

You might need a little more throw...

Lon

Newly Enlightened
You could go to ebay and buy some LED offroad lights that run on 12vdc. Really bright and low power dont go hand in hand so much, but guys use them for bowfishing.
I built my own with much higher power LEDs, they work great.

Norm

Retired Administrator
I dont want the surface of the water to reflect the light and make it difficult to see the fish on the bottom. Any advice is appreciated!

You need to get the light under then surface of the water to avoid reflections.

Norm