Recommendations for a Tough, Powerfu,l Duty-Style Rechargeable

Positrack

Newly Enlightened
Hello all! I'm looking for a tough, fairly high-output rechargable flashlight for my worktruck/trail rig/tow rig/firewood hauler. It needs to be heavy-duty, highly water, mud, and dust resistant, rechargeable, and fairly powerful with a reasonable run time that can take being knocked around. Durability and reliability are paramount but I'd also like some decent light out of it (considerably more than my reliable but sort of anemic 3D Mags). I know, I'm not asking much...:rolleyes: Here's my checklist:

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I would like to purchase the light from a brick and mortar store. I am located in ______________.
____I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.
_X__Don't care

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Less than $25.
____Less than $50.
____Less than $100.
_X__Less than $150.
____Less than $300.
____I have no limit.
_X__I'm flexible, tell me what you got.
____Other, please specify ________

3) Format:

_X__I want a flashlight.
____I want a headlamp.
____I want a lantern.
____I want a dive light.
____I want a portable spotlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

____Keychain size.
____Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
____Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).
____Holster carry.
____Big enough to need its own travel case.
_X__I don't care.
____I don't know.
____N/A

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
_X__I don't know (though LED would probably be best due to efficiency, longevity, and shock resistance).

6) Manufacturer:

_X__I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
_X__I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

____I intend to use alkaline batteries (AAA, AA, C, D) (disclaimer, while it does not preclude all choices, these are not recommended for many of today's most powerful lights)
____I intend to use rechargeable nickel chemistry (NiCad, NiMH, NiZn)
____I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)
____I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery. (Note: these choices may be very limited unless you are looking at spotlights)
_X__As long as they're rechargable (I guess I don't really know enough about it to strongly prefer one over another)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (0-10 lumens).
____I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
_X__I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____I want ridiculous amounts of lumens (800+ lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
_X__5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
_X__30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
_X__50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
_X__150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)
_X__(I'd really like a variable beam such as what Maglites have. I know they're beams aren't the best or cleanest [by a long shot], but they are versatile
)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
_X__90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
_X__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
_X__Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
_X__I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________________.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
____I want a strobe mode. (Blinks to show location.)
____I want SOS mode.
____I want a beacon mode.
_X__I don't care but I need reliability and like simplicity.
____I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
_X__I don't care as long as it's tough and well built.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Pocket/belt clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Crenulated bezel
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments
_X__Other:__a secure charger/mount that can be screwed to the floor of my pickup. I like the simple MagCharger design that has no wires to unhook/rip loose, no plugs/recepticles to get plugged with dust and mud, and that works regardless of light orientation. This is a big deal to me and may end up being the deciding feature.

As you might have guessed by reading this, so far I'm leaning toward the MagCharger. I've owned a lot of Maglites in the past and, though they certainly do leave something to be desired in terms of output, and power-to-weight, they are simple, durable, well built, and resistant to the elements (at least in my limited experience; I'm no flashlight expert). Supposedly the MC is considerably more potent than the standard 3D Maglite I'm used to carrying? Also, I'm not at all against some simple mods so long as they don't affect durability/reliability or drastically reduce run time to an unuseful level.

All that said, I'm open to anything, but the MC is the only rechargable I could find that has the output and rubustness I'm looking for with a holder/cradle type charger. But like I said, I'm open to anything if it fits the bill.

I guess the main thing holding me back from just getting the MC is my own inexperience with high-perf. flashlights (I have no real idea how bright 10 or 100 or 1000 lumens is, etc...). I have read a dozen different specs and opinions on the MC in my searching, and I'm thoroughly confused.

I am also somewhat concerned with the new electronic switch they're now evidently using. I'm not sure I like the idea of having to click through several choices of lighting to get the thing on or off, and I have real concerns about the reliability of an electronic switch. Also, can a new MC still be modified or will the new switch limit modifications or ultimate output?

I've been researching this on and off all weekend (yeah, I get fixated sometimes... :crazy:), but for every question I answer I find two more to ask. So what do you folks say; is the MC my only real choice or are there alternatives I have overlooked? Will the new style MC with the electronic switch still lend itself to modification like the old one and prove equally reliable? Thanks, and you have a very interesting site here.

SoCalDep

Newly Enlightened
I would take a look at the Streamlight SL20L rechargeable. I, along with thousands of other cops, use Streamlights and they have proven highly durable. The SL20L is a newer version of the older SL20X and is now LED powered. It is advertised at 350 lumens and has a very long throw due to the fairly narrow beam profile. The light also features multiple modes allowing more versatility in use. I'm not sure you'll care much about the ability to strobe, but some people say it comes in handy for traffic stuff, so it might not be such a bad feature for a truck light. It charges in a cradle by simply dropping in. While the orientation must allow contact with the charging pads and the charger, the light only goes in one way so it's super easy. The charger is also car/truck mountable.

Another light to check out (and I want to see as well) is the Mag ML125...It's Mag's new rechargeable LED light, and I think it's around the size of a 2C to 3C Mag. The big drawback I see to it based on your specs is the charger seems AC only and I don't see DC accessories available, and you charge the battery out of the light.

Positrack

Newly Enlightened
Hey, that sounds pretty good; I'll definitely check that out. Thanks for the suggestion!

Anybody have an opinion on the new MagCharger (good or bad)?

SoCalDep

Newly Enlightened
I've heard lots of good about the MagCharger, but it's an older, incandescent design (unless they changed something and I don't know about it) and has the ringy mag beam. You might check out the incandescent forum here at CPF...I know they've had some fairly recent threads about it. I have little experience with it other than seeing deputies running it during our low-light courses. It works as well as a ringy incan can be expected to work. When I went into LE, the Streamlight SL20X was the light to have so that's what I chose.

Positrack

Newly Enlightened
Well, after some research, I believe I will go with the SL-20L. It looks to meet my requirements as well as anything and, except for the lack of a variable focus, appears to outperform the MagCharger in every category (lumens, throw, candella, run time, charge time, bulb style, it's regulated, etc...). I'd still like to get a MagCharger to hot-rod someday, but the SL-20L seems to fit the bill for my reliable truck light.

For the record, the Wolfeyes looked like one bad light, but it doesn't use a cradle charger. I know that might seem like a small thing, but if it's gonna be rechargeable, held in place, and kept reliably charged, it's gonna have to just live in its charging cradle when not in use.

Thanks to everybody for the suggestions!

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several SL-20L lights. I find them very useful when working on the car or "sweeping the yard." The 4 dim LEDs are good for long run time. I have noticed that the incandescent bulb/reflector vary from sample to sample. Some are good throwers, some not so much. If you don't like the beam, buy another lamp assembly. Streamlight warranty is very good should you have any problems. Compared to modern LED lights they are a little old school, but they are very reliable.

SoCalDep

Newly Enlightened
I have several SL-20L lights. I find them very useful when working on the car or "sweeping the yard." The 4 dim LEDs are good for long run time. I have noticed that the incandescent bulb/reflector vary from sample to sample. Some are good throwers, some not so much. If you don't like the beam, buy another lamp assembly. Streamlight warranty is very good should you have any problems. Compared to modern LED lights they are a little old school, but they are very reliable.

The light you are describing is actually the SL20X LED....The SL20L is a new light introduced in 2012...It's all LED, rated at 350 lumens high with three modes and a strobe.

Rafael Jimenez

Enlightened
Hey, that sounds pretty good; I'll definitely check that out. Thanks for the suggestion!

Anybody have an opinion on the new MagCharger (good or bad)?

They last forever. The incan.bulbs last about 50hs. But you can install led in it. The switch went bad in mine after about 7 years and was replaced at no charge. The batery pack lasts for a bit over 5 years.

Latest posts