EX 11.2 Problem

iamtwon

Newly Enlightened
I was riding down the street with my new bike (Nashbar FB-2) and my Nitecore EX 11.2 strapped to my head, and BOOM, lights out. I pulled over, got a spare (another AW 16340 btw). A minute later, boom lights out. Fresh charges on both batteries earlier this morning. Voltages, mind you not under load voltage readings, look fine on both cells before and after the incident.

Obviously I can't trust this particular setup any longer, it's either the light or the batteries, right? I'll be moving to CR123 primaries tomorrow night and see if it craps out again.

I'm usually pretty good with the search feature, but I haven't found anything that's exactly like this yet.

Worthy notes: The light will function after auto shutoff has occurred by replacing the battery. And even the same battery will work once again when replaced. First time, the light was on max for ~10minutes. Second time, with the new cell, I was running about 75% for about 1 minute.

1. If under load voltage dips too low, is this what happens?
2. Is the flashlight not pairing well with these cells?
3. Your thoughts?

netprince

Enlightened
The Ex11.2 is not a very reliable light. I love the design, but the electronics leave much to be desired. Try your used cells in something else to see how they do. Good luck with the resolution.

radioactive_man

Enlightened
I don't mean to bash Nitecore, but I hear that they discontinued the EX11.2 because of reliability problems. The bumping around on the bike probably knocked some part of the electronics loose.

TweakMDS

Enlightened
I don't mean to bash Nitecore, but I hear that they discontinued the EX11.2 because of reliability problems. The bumping around on the bike probably knocked some part of the electronics loose.

The EX11.2 has been discontinued? It's still relatively new (~1 year, 1 1/2 max?), even nitecore.com lists it with a blinking "new" logo. I can't find any report of it discontinued.
I was considering the light as a replacement for my Fenix MC11 that's going back... Couldn't find much faults with it. Reviews are scarce but good, and this light is said to solve a lot of problems it's predecessor - the EX11 had.

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
before disregarding the light, clean it all up and reassemble it
(it is a complex light and can easily act flaky with time)

disassemble everything

dump out the pill and reflector

clean all contact surfaces with acetone or alcohol

reassemble

radioactive_man

Enlightened
The EX11.2 has been discontinued? It's still relatively new (~1 year, 1 1/2 max?), even nitecore.com lists it with a blinking "new" logo. I can't find any report of it discontinued.
I was considering the light as a replacement for my Fenix MC11 that's going back... Couldn't find much faults with it. Reviews are scarce but good, and this light is said to solve a lot of problems it's predecessor - the EX11 had.

My bad. I didn't read this thread through to the end.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...D11-2-EX11-2&p=3865732&viewfull=1#post3865732

But it seems like a lot of distributors got fed up with the light. Also, the D11.2 is discontinued by nitecore.co.uk, and the EX11.2 is not even listed on their site.