For those using titanium clips on their LF2XTs

bobjane

Enlightened
The following was done using a 3rd run Steve Ku titanium LF2XT shell and Moodoo titanium clip. However it should also apply to other LF2XT shells and the Darksucks titanium clip.

It always bothered me how these clips often become uncentered, especially when clipping and unclipping from thicker fabrics.

What I initially planned to do was to place an O-ring between the clip and body to prevent it from shifting around. Turns out that an O-ring by itself wouldn't work because where the clip sits above the tailcap threads, it is a sloped surface. This causes the O-Ring to slip out from under the clip and towards the tail end.
Then I came across X-rings (aka Quad-rings) which are O-rings with a X shaped cross profile. I wanted to do this with it:

Problem was that I couldn't find any X-rings thinner than 1/16" and this was too thick to sit under the clip.

The good news is that the X-rings provided a different solution. The size 010 (1/4" ID x 3/8" OD x 1/16" thick) X-ring completely fills the gap below where the clip sits. As opposed to using a normal O-ring to fill this gap, it provides a flat surface for another O-ring to sit on:

A thin O-ring can now sit between the clip and body, preventing it from shifting. The X-ring keeps the O-ring in place. The O-ring can be any size small enough to fit, I used one from the DQG AAA.

Now the clip stays firmly in place and perfectly centered during use. As an added bonus the X-ring seals up the wire clip holes, providing extra water resistance.

The #010 X-rings are available in small quantities on eBay.
The O-ring should be 1/2" (12mm) or less in OD and 1/32" (1mm) in thickness.