Are expensive 18650 worth the $$?

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
I have three 18650 flashlights. L2P with a DD XML T6, L2T with an XML U2 3 mode @4.2 amps and a Skyray 3X XML T6. Trustfire 2400mah in the Solarforce lights and 4000mah Ultrafire in the Skyray. Would I notice any difference with better batteries such as the AW 18650's? $5 or $20 for a battery is quite a difference.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
You can get good batteries for less than $20. Look for batteries based on the Panasonic 3100 mAh cell.

Most of the time the cheap batteries are not very good, but sometimes you can get lucky. The difference is in capacity and how much current they can deliver.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Cheap batteries are cheap for a reason, quality batteries are far better value.

Norm

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
Ok, so it sounds like I will notice a difference right? Found the Panasonic 3100's for $13.99. Working 6.2amp discharge rate.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Ok, so it sounds like I will notice a difference right? Found the Panasonic 3100's for $13.99. Working 6.2amp discharge rate.

You will get longer runtime and probably also more brightness.
What out for protected or not protected batteries, the protected is much safer (and Panasonic is much safer than xxxFire).

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a look at some of HKJ's comparison charts. Normally it is worth paying over $10 a cell, some cheap batteries are reasonably good, e.g. genuine Trustfire 2400 'flames', but most are rubbish. You are taking a risk going cheap. But HKJ is right, find out what cell is in the battery and you can get a top quality one for well under $20.

I recommend searching for the 'keeppower 3100' ones on HKJ's charts to compare to others, and on ebay to find the best price. They are at $25 a pair atm I think. If you find similarly protected genuine panasonic 3100 based cells from a non-shady seller for cheaper, then go for those instead.

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the Sanyo 2600mah from Intl outdoor. Good price and pretty good cell for the money. Their internal resistance seems to be a little higher than protected aw Panasonic. So they might get just a little warmer but they seem to be quality cells.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trustfire 2400 black/flame has never let me down. I always get very similar runtimes on known lights I see tested with better cells. It does not suffer from high output impedance as some budget cells do. Personally, I'd rather have 6 or more TF 2400s than a couple premium cells.

tandem

Enlightened
+1 on buying protected Panasonic cells as a baseline recommendation, or protected Sanyo cells if available. Sanyo's cell manufacturing division was purchased by Panasonic, by the way.

In addition to what's been discussed I wanted to point out:

... and 4000mah Ultrafire in the Skyray. Would I notice any difference with better batteries such as the AW 18650's?

Currently there is no such thing as a 4000 mAh 18650 cell, not from a bad nor from a good maker. Whoever is making / marking / distributing these cells is participating in fraud, marking cells up with fictitious capacities to appeal to the buying public's "more is better" instincts.

My advice on these matters is always the same: get good quality cells and dispose of the fraudulent cells (or cells of unknown heritage) safely. Don't use them.

Last edited:

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
Hope to get the Panasonics soon. I've been fairly happy with the TTF 2600's. The Ultrafires really are junk. Tried them in the Skyray and the light shuts off after a few minutes. Can't wait to try the Panasonics.

AW batteries are the way to go - as you will see from most commentators here. I also use Redilast 18650-3100 which are remarkably 'even' both when charged and discharged - almost uncanny how all three of them used in my TrustFire X6 discharge to within 0.1 - 0.2v of each other.

Having said that, I also have 3 TrustFire 'flame' 18650-2400 which while not used as much have always seemed good too - as also reported here. So I guess if you are goung to buy 'cheap' batteries, these are the ones to get.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Actually XTAR 18650 offer a better value for similar or performance/quality exceeding that of AW. Not their 16340 cells though, they are too long so AW all the way for those.

To be more blunt though, say no to xxxxFire batteries :)

Last edited:

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
..and for 3100mAh cells, Eagletac, Intl-Outdoor, Orbtronic and Keeppower all offer superior value to AW batteries.

Of that list the Keeppower and Intl-Outdoor are longer than the AW and XTAR, making it work but not as compatible (same comment as the XTAR 16340s). Unsure of the others though.

Shadowww

Banned
Of that list the Keeppower and Intl-Outdoor are longer than the AW and XTAR, making it work but not as compatible (same comment as the XTAR 16340s). Unsure of the others though.

Yeah their length varies because there is no fixed standard for protected 18650's (wikipedia says it's 70mm though).
Length.png

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Woooo I just noticed something. I was prepping lights for my wife and noticed the diameter of the XTAR 3100 varied enough that they fit snug or not at all in the TK15. All 20 AW (2900 and 3100) fit perfectly. Something to think about :)

For the XTAR length they're just about the same as the AW (only talking about the 3100, also in bang for buck)

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have three 18650 flashlights. L2P with a DD XML T6, L2T with an XML U2 3 mode @4.2 amps and a Skyray 3X XML T6. Trustfire 2400mah in the Solarforce lights and 4000mah Ultrafire in the Skyray. Would I notice any difference with better batteries such as the AW 18650's? $5 or $20 for a battery is quite a difference.

As has been pointed out here many times, you can go to amazon.com and pick up 2 Orbtronics 2900 mah Panasonic 18650 batteries for about $23.99, or 2 - 3100mah Orbtronics Panasonic 18650's for about $26 or so. They are top-quality Panasonic batteries, and they are protected.

Read the reports at cpf about people who had disasters or near disasters with cheap rechargeable batteries.....