• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Four McGizmo's later...

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
It took four McGizmo's but I finally found my dream "house" carry. Having several dozens of options (nearly all CR123 size), I've finally found the perfect house EDC (ok... HDC).

Nichia 119 Mule with 2xAA McClicky

I didn't really enjoy the Mule until the 2xAA came in and I found that the extended length was just perfect. Couple with the ringed body, it felt really good in the hand. The Mule is perfect to light up just about anything. It should be the perfect house carry, especially in the hallways. On that note, I was blown away and the super wide near field illumination when I took it down an alleyway.

d83a1a2a-28f2-37cc.jpg

The search for the dream outside of the hosue EDC ensues. I currently carry the Preon 1 Ti High CRI everywhere and some other Ti light (no including the E15 on the keychain and L0D in the bag). I was hoping the Sundrop would be it but here are my thoughts...

Nichia 089 Sundrop - Too dim for my liking
Cree XML Sundrop - Too square and too cold. Granted, it might not seem as cool if you don't constantly have 'non' cool lights to compare to.
Nichia 119 Haiku - Too narrow. That spot is actually quite small at a couple dozen feet.

Having said that, when I tried the XML Sundrop and 119 Haiku side-by-side, I vehemently choose the latter (for tint).

Where does this leave me? Maybe the 119 Haiku isn't so bad for general purpose outdoor. On the other hand, maybe the 119 Sundrop is the perfect mid-field outdoor light? If I need more throw I'd grab a bigger light like Fenix TK21 U2 SE.

Given I just got the XML Sundrop head, perhaps I'll just return and swap for a 119...

Here are hypothetical uses for me:

119 Haiku: General throw/spot illumination.
XML Sundrop: Police clearing a house or home inspector.
89 Sundrop: I don't... know.
119 Mule: Night time use around the house, all the time.

Having said that... the 89 Sundrop XRU will be going, possibly followed by a return of the XML Sundrop XRU head.

Last edited:

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
After reading this I'm even more torn between which McGizmo I should get as my first....
Still want the SD the most but the Mule is kind of calling my name too...

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
After reading this I'm even more torn between which McGizmo I should get as my first....
Still want the SD the most but the Mule is kind of calling my name too...

If the XML SD had a round beam then I would have no hesitation. I might learn to love it...

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Sounds as if you might really like the Haiku warm XP-G :devil:

Or maybe a Makai for outdoors ... ?

For outdoors I have Fenix, Sunwayman and Xeno options. For example, camping I would sooner take a Xeno E03 with diffuser and Fenix than the Makai (big!) or Haiku.

Is the warm XPG an available current option and does it give a bigger or softer spot?

nbp

Flashaholic
For outdoors I have Fenix, Sunwayman and Xeno options. For example, camping I would sooner take a Xeno E03 with diffuser and Fenix than the Makai (big!) or Haiku.

Is the warm XPG an available current option and does it give a bigger or softer spot?

No longer available from Don, but you could have it modded to put any XP-G in there you wanted pretty easily.