Black Moon LTD

Thread: Anyone Remember Gene Shermeister?

Flashaholic*

Default Anyone Remember Gene Shermeister?

Anyone else here remember Eugene Shermeister, Apogee Enterprises and The Whole Light Catalog?

I corresponded with him a bit in the early 1980's. He was very experienced and knowledgeable, yet also very open minded and willing to experiment.
    There are two kinds of light - the glow that illumines, and the glare that obscures. ~James Thurber

Default Re: Anyone Remember Gene Shermeister?

Yup, I do remember him. Haven't heard of him (or from him) in many years.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Anyone Remember Gene Shermeister?

In a recent search, I hit on a 2003 discussion forum item that said he'd suffered a massive heart attack i8 years earlier, so that put an end to his business. That would have been in 1985. I would imagine he's gone now; he mentioned auto racing in the 30's, so he'd be really old. He had a "let's try it!" spirit, willing to experiment even if the test was against conventional lighting wisdom. He'd happily share what he'd learned, the good and the bad.

I think my last Whole Light catalogs vanished in moves related to my divorce in 2008. They had enough Cibie, Marchal and Hella data that they were good references.
    There are two kinds of light - the glow that illumines, and the glare that obscures. ~James Thurber