Lithium Ion Charger with LCD - (a hypothetical query)

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Hi folks! It's me again with another one of those "hypothetical" queries. If you've been in the flashlight game for a while, you've discovered lithium batteries and the benefits it provides. Both flashlight and battery technology has advanced by leaps and bounds yet chargers have pretty much stayed the same. Sure, we now have a universal charger that can do NiMH as well but that's about it.

How would you feel if there was a charger that...

Has a form factor of the UltraFire WF-188 (or bit larger)
Charge 16340 to 18700 size 3.7v Li-ion (EDIT REMOVED 10440)
Charge rate 0.5A / 1.0A
2 independent banks
LCD voltage readout
CC/CV charging

Is this something folks are interested in? The ballpark for this will certainly be more than the Pila, but probably than the Maha 9000 (yes, apples to oranges here).

Is there any MUST have? I can think of possibly 26650 support (will make charger bigger) or USB out (nice, but not necessary). NiMH is also nice but there are better full featured chargers for those. Discharging and capacity checking would make it much, much more complex and the price accordingly. Storage charging feature is something I feel MIGHT be of use.

Let's discuss :)

Last edited:

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
You cannot charger 10440 safely with 0.5A and except for the LCD readout you have just described the SP2 (The SP2 also add a 2A range).
The LCD would, of course, be a good improvement.

Mmm good point. I remember those xxxxFire 10440 I have tested to only about 360mAH. Scratch that, I'm going to edit it.

Yes I described the SP2 but the SP2 lacks the USB out functionality and does not accept spacers (hey, magnets don't count :) ) for 16340. So let's put it this way...

SP2 + 16340 + LCD + USB power out = Pila killer and end-all-be-all Lithium-ion charger?

The only thing is to keep this a reasonable size. In that sense a WP2-II size and cost may be better for the masses, leaving out 2A charge rate and 2xxxx size support.

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
Yes I described the SP2 but the SP2 lacks the USB out functionality and does not accept spacers for 16340.

The USB out can be useful, but I prefer a box with both usb out and in.
The is no problem using spacers in SP2, except it does not fit the Xtar ones, you must make you buy some other.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
The USB out can be useful, but I prefer a box with both usb out and in.
The is no problem using spacers in SP2, except it does not fit the Xtar ones, you must make you buy some other.

USB in is being reviewed but it must limit the charge rate to 0.5A intelligently.
Spacers... that's the thing. This charger will need to be independent, no DIY :)

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SP2 will use anything you can stick in there for a spacer. I use the VERY common 15mm aluminum spacers that are included with many chargers (so many of us have a pile of them laying around) or are available from any number of flashlight websites including lighthound.com. They cost about $2 each and it's as simple as dropping one in the slot (much quicker than screwing and unscrewing spacers).

No USB or LCD readout but it meets and exceeds all of your other criteria. It's actually quite a bit smaller than a WF-188 and will accept cells up to 32650 and the ability to charge at up to 2a is a huge feature for many of us.

Last edited:

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
For my usage, take an SP2 and add .1a charge rate for tiny cells plus a voltage readout and I'm happy. Make it 4 or 6 bays and I'm doubly or triply happy. :thumbsup:

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Spacers = wouldn't a simple spring mechanism be easier?

LCD = the big idea here is dual bank dual LCD so you can monitor state of charge or even just 'test' batteries, no useful?

2A and up to 32650 = does many mean masses? I would think the bulk run around 18650/16340 and a few less run 14500... then much less run larger cells

Remember, this thread is about what you want, and not what I need :) All I need is cottonpickers charger in a box.

The SP2 will use anything you can stick in there for a spacer. I use the VERY common 15mm aluminum spacers that are included with many chargers (so many of us have a pile of them laying around) or are available from any number of flashlight websites including lighthound.com. They cost about $2 each and it's as simple as dropping one in the slot (much quicker than screwing and unscrewing spacers).

No USB or LCD readout but it meets and exceeds all of your other criteria. It's actually quite a bit smaller than a WF-188 and will accept cells up to 32650 and the ability to charge at up to 2a is a huge feature for many of us.

Last edited:

Up All Night

Enlightened
For my usage, take an SP2 and add .1a charge rate for tiny cells plus a voltage readout and I'm happy. Make it 4 or 6 bays and I'm doubly or triply happy. :thumbsup:

Ah! Sort of a "the more the merrier" approach. I like it!

Personally, I want it all and I want it now, or I'm taking my ball and going home! :nana:

RIP Freddie Mercury

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Ah! Sort of a "the more the merrier" approach. I like it!

Personally, I want it all and I want it now, or I'm taking my ball and going home! :nana:

RIP Freddie Mercury

Within reason :) this is general purpose so putting all these things in and marking it $200 loses it's appeal fast!

Up All Night

Enlightened
J,
That was just for giggles!
Heck! I'm using a single bay 47's with no backup. Your first post works for me!

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
The dual voltage readout I love. The 2a charge I love. Lots of folks using high capacity 18650s now which can handle that (with some slight extra wear on the cells,sure), 26650s, and IMR cells (18350s and larger can take it). I wouldn't hesitate to charge a 3400mah 18650 at 2a when feeling impatient.

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll stick with my WP2 II over the SP2, since it has that USB out feature and will charge my cell phone in a pinch. It also comes with an optional 12v cigarette lighter adpater, so it's flexible on that front.

I don't really have a personal need for a 2 amp charge rate, but a voltage readout would of course allow me to keep my two DMMs in the cabinet, but checking them IS part of the fun--like the Oscar awards...and the winner is...!

Plus, the thing is small and light in weight, so it's easily transportable.

For $18 delivered, the XTAR suits my needs just fine.

Chris