5* Cree drop in LED

hjvooijen

Newly Enlightened
Dear readers,
I am new in this forum, and I hope to find some help, and to give some support where I can.
I am diving for +30 years, and up till now making my own UW lights.
So far happy with Solux daylight spots, but now heading for LED's.

Bought one 5*Cree 2R drop in : http://www.dealextreme.com/p/5-cree...drop-in-led-module-52-7mm-42mm-8-4v-max-35241
Applying power 8,4 V on it + centre, -body, and the other way around.
No light!

Does anyone know how to wire it?
Thanks for helping.
Henk van Ooijen

Quest4fire

Enlightened
I own one of those modules. It is installed in a WF-500 host. It has good output and respectable throw. I would never dive with any light this module was in. The reliability factor just isn't there. Go to the dive lights sub forum and see what is popular among those who are knowledgeable (Not me for sure). :welcome:

hjvooijen

Newly Enlightened
Are you sure applied power was not over 8.4 volts?
Are you sure your negative was connected to brass part of module (not alminum)?

You may burn the module.
thanks for your reply,
I did +on the centre spring, - on the outer spring which is connected to the brass part.
8,4V exactly.
Can this unit be switched by power on and off several times on these springs?
Hope I can get it alive

hjvooijen

Newly Enlightened
I own one of those modules. It is installed in a WF-500 host. It has good output and respectable throw. I would never dive with any light this module was in. The reliability factor just isn't there. Go to the dive lights sub forum and see what is popular among those who are knowledgeable (Not me for sure). :welcome:

Thanks for your reply,
Is, in your opinion, the low reliability caused by the driver quality?
For me this unit is my first try with these super leds. I hoped to avoid to difficult electronics to for me to work with.
I'll consult the people in the forum you mention, Thanks.
Henk

Quest4fire

Enlightened
Is, in your opinion, the low reliability caused by the driver quality?

Where to start. First, these modules are mass produced often with poor quality control. Most problems with bargain stuff from china seem to be related to poor/cold/dead solder

joints, poorly performing driver circuits, excessive heat, or not working on arrival. Don't get me wrong, I've bought two of these and they both perform well. I just don't personally

think it should be a drop-in in any flashlight the goes under the water and may quit if bumped or for no apparent reason. To me, that's like having your light fail while in a tight spot

caving. Talk about the stuff nightmares are made of! I would want a light that is bomb-proof.