Headlamp or penlight, which light is better for camping ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldrich

Newly Enlightened
I am going to a camping trip next month and I want to buy a camping light. Convenience and light weight are the most important features link removed or link removed , which is better ? Which kind of camping lights are you using ? my friend are using the heavy professional camping torch, but I don't want a heavy one . How about this promotion, I am considering buying link removed.

Links associated with words, penlight, headlamp, and flashlight removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sintro

Newly Enlightened
You're really not saving that much space by taking a penlight. But, what you need depends on what you're gonna be doing. If you just want to find food in the car at night, just get a penlight. If you are going to be searching for wood or setting up a tent at night, get a headlamp. The zebralight H51 is pretty cool, you can actually detach it from the straps and use it almost as thick penlight. It's all complete flood, so no blinding lights late at night. And it's 200 lumens, which is totally fine. It has high, medium, and low. If you want to know more about it, just google "zebralight h51" and click on the zebralight site link. On the site it's only $64. But there are cheaper headlights of course. I got one of those $8 ones off of ebay. Shipping took like 3 weeks, but it's a great light. I'd say it's only around 100ish lumen, but it's never broke and and has a flood to throw. Takes 3 aaa's but on high those last 1.5 hours, I've already had more than that and they are still burning. The light has a high, med, and high strobe. These are gone threw by a clicky. It's one click: high, another click: low, another click: strobe, another click: off. I kinda like this light because of the amount of lumens. When you have really night adjusted eyes, the around 30 lumens low does perfect, does hurt your eyes, even if you just woke up in the middle of the night. Although it wasn't designed to like the zebralight, you can detach the light from the straps, takes 2 seconds. Then you just have the battery housing and the light w/reflector. I actually bought another of these for a friend and he likes em too.

Edit: just realized those were hyperlinks...fail. Don't see why you'd have 7 crees, I would rather just have one, those are going to be very underdriven. Just for looks I guess. But, I would definately get the headlamp. I'm all for a good deal, but I HIGHLY doubt that penlight will survive even one drop on pavement.

Last edited:

FPSRelic

Enlightened
I vote headlamp. Usually when you camp the flashlight will be your only source of light (at least when I camp). Having a headlamp free's up both hands so you can do all those mundane tasks you normally do like packing and unpacking, food prep, cleanup etc. As an example, try switching off the light and use a flashlight the next time you wash the dishes. Not the easiest thing to do.

ScubaSnyder

Enlightened
I vote headlamp. Usually when you camp the flashlight will be your only source of light (at least when I camp). Having a headlamp free's up both hands so you can do all those mundane tasks you normally do like packing and unpacking, food prep, cleanup etc. As an example, try switching off the light and use a flashlight the next time you wash the dishes. Not the easiest thing to do.

Agreed...Headlamp is far more superior than a pen light...Zebralight is what I use. and have been using for a number of years.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are going camping, get a floody headlamp and a throwy flashlight.

You want a headlamp that can illuminate a wide FOV. If you need to spot something in the distance, use the flashlight with focused beam.

Penlights are more suitable for EDC with minimal footprint, not for camping.

ikeyballz

Newly Enlightened
I say if you really care about weight get a AA powered floody light and bring a pack of lithium AAs. The AAA penlights are great and light but you're going to go through batteries fairly quickly if you use the higher power settings..

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
Headlamp. The fenix HL-21 comes with a diffuser lens if you prefer a wall of light. It's IMHO a better option than buying a flood specific light.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need a headlamp as well as a handheld light ...
;)
+ (at least) a few cheap minilamps to lend around
(so You do not have to lend around Your headlamp or handheld light which will not come back in good condition ((IF they come back))

PS: I do NOT believe that it really is this "necessary" to reduce "the weight" or "the packing size" to end up with only one light!
There is much better and much more useful parts to safe on ...

Oldrich

Newly Enlightened
You need a headlamp as well as a handheld light ...
;)
+ (at least) a few cheap minilamps to lend around
(so You do not have to lend around Your headlamp or handheld light which will not come back in good condition ((IF they come back))

Well, thank you ,you really give me important reminder, indeed , I care to much about the weight and space, but safe is the most important. In this way, maybe the convenient headlamp and the handheld flashlight which is bright enough are both necessary. One site from china is making promotion about the camping lights,which is better ?

Link to web store removed, also hot linked image from same store removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

JNieporte

Enlightened
+1 to any headlight for camping. Right now, the best one I've found is the Fenix HL21. Only uses one AA battery. $35.

rambo180

Enlightened
+1 to any headlight for camping. Right now, the best one I've found is the Fenix HL21. Only uses one AA battery. $35.

headlamp. you can get better, but i'll tell you about mine.

- frees your hands. great for camping.
- energizer ,only $16 on ebay
- red lights for night vision (some people will disagree, ok maybe it may not preserve vision, lets not get into this please)
- spot and flood modes and dual spot/flood.
- only around 50max lumens i suspect, but still great for a headlamp. get a brighter one made by a proper light company for $50 or less and You're SET!

stona

Newly Enlightened
As others have said, between those 2 options go with the headlamp. Last time I went camping I took along a headlamp (fenix HL21), a single AA light (sunwayman v10a), and a 2 AA light (eagletac p100a2). The headlamp got the most use, by far, since I could use it hands free.

rambo180

Enlightened
I am going to a camping trip next month and I want to buy a camping light. Convenience and light weight are the most important features , headlamp or penlight, which is better ? Which kind of camping lights are you using ? my friend are using the heavy professional camping torch, but I don't want a heavy one .

There is a sticky thread at the top of the "reccomend me a light " link. if you haven't got your answer yet, please fill out to give us more info. btw my $16 energizer rocks, for the price. can highly reccomend it. the same light costs 40 at my hardware store . so it isn't cheap chinese rubbish. ebay!

Onthelightside

Enlightened
Well I had a long post in the recommend me a light forum, the best solution and what works the best for me is a Quark X 123^2 Tactical in a fenix headband. A useful accessory is e fenix light cone which will diffuse the light which is very useful for in the tent or reading. I also carry a Preon 2 as a backup because when you really need your light something will be wrong with it mo matter how well built.

fishndad

Enlightened
I dont see a pen light as an option for camping outdoors at night.
Unless you already have a Headlamp ;)

However, I get alot more active at night fishing or cleaning the things after a day of activities.
A headlamp is irreplacible for me while working with both hands at night.

I use a 2xAA LED headlamp.It doesnt have a name on it, probably paid $5. and ive had it 3 years or more.
Wow! thats sad. I need a new headlamp...:D

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
My two camping/hunting lights are a headlamp and a Preon II. I like the headlamp for around camp chores which need two hands and the Preon penlight gets used for everything else. The size of both and the common battery type make them companion pieces not competing.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
You all seem to never have camped anywhere where mosquitos and such are around.
;)
thats when one immediately looses his enthusiasm in headlamp only and revises the thinking that penlights make no sense

PS: for longer camping a plain old technology candle is very nice.
Long running, nicest light one can think of (except for an open fire of course), small, light

Sintro

Newly Enlightened
Just about a month ago, a cheap nobrand xml t6 headlamp came out. Only problem with xml is that you need two 18650's. So, it's 18 for the light, and 16 for some legit trustfires. So 34 total for an xml on your forehead.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, there's no beating a headlamp for tasks requiring your hands, but for kicking back and relaxing, I much prefer using my flashlight tailstanding (or clipping to a tent window) as a lantern.

7414303408_ae05cc592d_z.jpg

For versatility, I also rather use a regular flashlight with a headband than dedicated headlamp which can't be easily pocketed. (I consider ZL H series to be angle flashlights not dedicated headlamps)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts