Right (or better) tool for the job...

jdhermit

Newly Enlightened
It's 2am. Just woke up to LOUD noise. So I grab quark and protection...
turns out its not human or animal, but fallen LARGE tree.
but...
I'm more hacked off that my bedside PA40 was in another room, and I just grabbed the quark which is my bumping around the house light. The extra couple lumens would have served me well when outside trying to figure out what the crap it was.
So what's the better practice? Have several different tools handy, or always have the big hammer at the ready in case ya need it?

This alone might convince me to move beyond AA lights, if only for a smaller package with higher lumens!

The quark wasn't "bad", but the PA40 would have been more comforting...
Thought about getting a large spotlight by the bed, but seems it would be awful large with one hand occupied with protection and then also trying to open doors...

(sorry for any lack of coherence, it's Late and I'm tired)

Jd

litzerski

Newly Enlightened
Personally, I only use AA & AAA cells in keychain lights. Every other light that I use is either 18650 or (R)CR123A driven. Quite simply, they are better tools for just about any job.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep a TM11 and a couple of Surefire M4 and M3 lights handy for the quick inspection of any bump in the night. I keep several much smaller lights under the pillow to wander around the house. I hope the tree did not fall on your house.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are bright AA lights out there. Fenix has a few (TK 40 and TK 45), ITP does as well (A6 Polestar can still be found). Notto mention all the incarnations of the custom maglights. Probably others I just can't think of at the moment, but AA can pretty much fit all needs. Just some needs will use more of them.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of my "good" lights live on/under/near the nightstand, along with my EDC

If i hear a noise outside i have the choice of a Surefire M3, M4, M6, U2 and a few other reliable lights to choose from

The nightstand makes a nice area to keep my good lights easily accessible

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
My SPY007 is perfect for this. Low Low for the usual middle of the night stuff, but it will light up the front yard if needed.

FPSRelic

Enlightened
I prefer my walking around the house light and bump in the night light to be the same light. I tried having a bigger light for bump in the night tasks, but found that when I actually had a bump in the night that woke me up, instint took over, the light I grabbed was the one I use the most - the walk around the house light.

For me it's a first light tomahawk, which I find works well in both roles.