Why didn't you buy the last light you 'almost' bought?

Ezeriel

Enlightened
I can tell ya why I didn't buy the last three lights I considered buying...

The first one had 6 modes (and I was all like Woo-Hoo!), but then I saw 3 of those modes were strobe.. s.o.s... beacon... forget it...

the second one had pwm... I've decided that I really don't like pwm

the last one was kinda redundant, but usable!, but it was also over $65 u.s. and since I don't really have to have it.. that's just too much money to blow on a new toy.

allyourblood

Newly Enlightened
I almost bought the Olight T10, but opted instead for the 4Sevens Quark QTLC (Q123-T). At the last second, I decided I wanted a light that didn't require me to step through the various modes in sequence in order to find the setting I like. I like that the T10 remembers your last used mode, but getting to a different mode again requires clicking through the whole sequence again. I might try one anyway (or get it for a bedside light, etc.) but the UI ultimately prevented me from making the T10 my first choice.

It was close, though!

Duraflametree

Newly Enlightened
I almost bought an HDS Rotary, but the long wait times changed my mind. I would reconsider once they are in stock and not on back order(which is very nebulous on actual wait time)

I pre-ordered a SureFire P2X, but fluctuations in pricing, along with mediocre performance made me kind of shaky about it. I had some unexpected expenses, and canceled my pre-order. I may never get one, it's just too "meh". Normally SF understates their output, but I've got a 1xCR123 pocket light I built up that is brighter.

jdavis

Newly Enlightened
I almost bought a Zebralight off the CPFMarketplace forums yesterday, but I had no post yet and by the time it was approved the light was already sold. :shrug:

There will be other opportunites I'm sure...

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ready to push the EagleTac D25A ti buy button until I found out that on a 14500 it's either moonlight or direct drive only. And DD get's hot too fast for much use. All other non-blinky levels are lost. For me, the brightness with NiMHs isn't enough for me to to justify the purchase.

välineurheilija

Enlightened
Does it count if i bought the light but they didnt deliver it because its not in production anymore but the webshop is still selling it even six months after they found out that they dont have a chance of getting them anymore :mad: It was a Surefire G2 nitrolon.sorry that was a bit offtopic.Okay now the last light i almost bought was a Maglite ML-100 led and it was just too expensive for my wallet at that time and also i dont need it(but who needs tens or hundreds of flashlights anyway :ironic:)

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
But I did buy it. And the two before that. ...Which may not have been the best idea because now I'm pinching due to some unforeseen expenses.

Torchaddict

Newly Enlightened
I had a really tough time deciding between the Arc6 or the comparatively priced HDS Systems 120/140 EDC clickies. After a lot of back and forth, I went with the Arc6 due to the following reasons (in order of magnitude):

1. The HDS was larger (3.7" compared to 2.9" for the Arc6). I figured that once you get into the 100mm length range, there are flashlights that use 18650s with 4-6 times the capacity instead of CR123a's (Zebralights are practically just as durable as well).
2. Immediate access to 2 levels. The piston drive UI can be a hassle at times (I really wish Don made the back of the light with a screw down end cap instead of the front so you don't have to switch your grip to access constant-on; similar to the UI on some SureFire lights), but what's important is that it allows immediate access to two out of the customized levels from OFF. You want super low from off; push the button. You want super high from off; push the button. As I read the HDS reviews, it became apparent that only 1 level was accessible from off (I may be wrong though, so feel free to correct me). Once you clicked it on, you were then free to execute the "shortcuts" like click-hold to get high and etc...
3. Looks. Don't get me wrong, I like the looks of the HDS lights. Kind of reminds me of my favorite laptop line - Thinkpads; utilitarian and durable. But a McGizmo inspired flashlight is like jewelry. It's hard to take your eyes of a piston drive rear end. I hated most of the online pics of the Arc6 and the color of the light (HA natural) doesn't do the light justice. Holding it in your hand is a different story.
4. Lack of a great discrete, elegant, screwed in clip. I want my clips to be strong and immobile (although flipping it around has benefits). But that's just me. McGizmo clips are the best in execution and function IMHO.
5. Tritium slot compatibility. My Arc6 already came with one and is extremely easy to locate on the nightstand. The beacon setting on a HDS would drive me crazy.
6. Uniqueness. Everyone knows and has a HDS. Not so much the Arc6.
7. Switch simplicity. As an engineer, I can really appreciate the piston drive. Simple and elegant although it requires some maintenance. I can appreciate Henry's electrical skills too although to a lesser extent (Arc6 was electrically inspired by Henry/HDS I believe).
8. Sapphire Glass. Never having to worry about scratches is a godsend. My watch has a sapphire crystal, so why shouldn't my torch? OK, this is an option for HDS lights, but it isn't standard. Minor grip here, but I considered it.

Anyways, I still would like a HDS EDC :D

Last edited:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a really tough time deciding between the Arc6 or the comparatively priced HDS Systems 120/140 EDC clickies. After a lot of back and forth, I went with the Arc6 due to the following reasons (in order of magnitude):

Anyways, I still would like a HDS EDC :D

Buy the HDS as well :twothumbs

P1010656.jpg

=================================================================================

I was giving the Olight X6 some serious consideration but I was put off by the battery pack using non replaceable cells

PCS

Newly Enlightened
Why didn't you buy the last light you 'almost' bought?
Because I spent too much money on the light I previously bought.

This has happened to me on several occasions. I spent far too much money on a discontinued or difficult to find bright, shiny object, an even harder to get brighter, shinier object appears on the Marketplace, and I just can't afford it.

If only I were psychic.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I almost bought an HDS Rotary, but the long wait times changed my mind. I would reconsider once they are in stock and not on back order(which is very nebulous on actual wait time)

+1 I've been wanting to buy one for a long time but am holding out until they are no longer vaporware. Maybe next year.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
After seeing a SF P6 with a M60 MCE drop in I was impressed and started looking at the Elzetta M60F for a work light. I backed off because the drop in is almost four years old and I'm thinking an upgrade is due, the output was half of the MCE so I figured it might not be as impressive, and the price for the whole set up topped $150 which for that money I'd like better specs. Was close but I think I'll wait.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I almost bought a 7 XML led light on ebay,
found out that the seller was selling bogus products.
The description was advertized as XML, in fact the light
was an old Q5 model.

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because I just can't decide!
Had a zebralight h502d and c in a shopping cart.
Had a eagletac d25lc2 in another.
And had a eagletac g25c2 in yet another.

All 3 completely different uses but for some reason I still can't decide.
Just got a swm v11r hi cri w/AA extender but it's very niche.
Need a headlight bad, but can't decide on a tint between what the 502 offers now.
Want another little pocket light with versatility like the d25lc2 but don't need it.
Want a light that replaces the spot my old Fenix tk10 filled years ago, but can't convince myself of any of it.

not asking for help with the lights, but I may need help in general. Haha

-Alex