Lizard / Plants lighting

ever4ever

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to build a light for my terrarium (like aquarium, just for reptiles :p ).
The specs are:
I need about 2500-3000 lumen output (for the plants to grow properly), of natural light + some red light, led of choice: nichia 219, so I figured I'll need about 12 nichia's, perhaps 4 tripple stars and 3 red xr-es?
Max flood, as this thing should cover a very close surface (20" or so) but I dont want too much light 'escaping' through the glass walls, is there anything I can do?
About the input - I live in Israel so its a 220 socket, anything special I should know? Could you point me to specific drivers and adapters I'll need?
About temp managment - All of the leds will be mounted on an aluminium rail with some cooling fins. if that wont be enoguh I can add some active cooling as well.
Another thing, I have no experience at building fixed lights, so any guides/tips will be more than great!

Thanks!

Edit: the tank size is 24/17/17" approx (h/w/l)

Last edited:

mahoney

Enlightened
There are quite a few threads about building aquarium lighting on CPF that should be of help to you...one question though, will you still be using a "reptile light bulb" to provide the IR and UV the lizards need? Or were you planing to try LEDs for that as well?

ever4ever

Newly Enlightened
There are quite a few threads about building aquarium lighting on CPF that should be of help to you...one question though, will you still be using a "reptile light bulb" to provide the IR and UV the lizards need? Or were you planing to try LEDs for that as well?

The type of lizards I have doesnt require UV/IR light so I dont think so, unless theres a hidden value for the plants (?).