SYSMAX Ind./Clike to find more about Nitecore flashlights!
Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: Since the SC600 all the NEW lights seem so dim...

  1. #1

    Default Since the SC600 all the NEW lights seem so dim...

    I've seen these threads before, so I guess it's my turn to throw this out there. I bought a Zebralight SC600 last year and have carried it a lot since then. I've been spoiled by how much light this thing produces and how perfectly low the moonlight mode is. I find myself comparing all newly released lights to it and finding they fall short. If it can fit in my pocket, it better have 750 lumens! I'm not interested in a light I can't EDC, because be it at work or in the woods: if it doesn't fit in my pocket I probably won't grab it as I go out the door. The Tiny Monster and "fist of flood" 3x18650 lights do little for me. I almost went for a Sunwayman with the infinite control ring, but it's hard to say anything is more convenient than a single button that accesses high or low depending on how long you press it.

    Now the SC600 may not be for everyone. It's a bit large for some for EDC and that's a deal killer if it is.
    The point of this thread is the SC600 was released a year ago, yet I have not seen another flashlight released since that even comes close to meeting my needs so perfectly. Brightness, build quality, efficiency, and UI: the SC600 has it all for me.

  2. #2
    Flashaholic* AnAppleSnail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    South Hill, VA
    Posts
    4,040

    Default Re: Since the SC600 all the NEW lights seem so dim...

    *snort* try a Torchlab H3 triple. It's my gardening light, and it makes my little veggie patches daylight at 9pm. I like my SC600W, but it doesn't have the reach of the door Mag Lites. I can shine through the pines in front of the house and across the field - and see the cat in the soybeans.
    My biggest light-hog is my camera.

  3. #3
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    ROLL TIDE!
    Posts
    1,010

    Default Re: Since the SC600 all the NEW lights seem so dim...

    I love my SC600w too but just thought I'd throw this out there...I also have an EYE10 and I can tell you that it is brighter, throws farther, has more levels (can go down far dimmer than the SC600) and is MUCH smaller than the SC600 (heck, it's way smaller than the SC60!) Might be a good addition for you. Now if they only made it in neutral!
    SPY 007 XM-L2, BVH 150w Vec192 HID, Gen III Maxabeam, Barn Burner, FireFox III, Mac's Customs 3840L & Damascus/Cu/Al Tri-EDCs, ma_sha1 FrankenMag, Drake, MF Scorpion 4x XM-L2, Tri-219 EYE10, XP-G2 X10

  4. #4

    Default Re: Since the SC600 all the NEW lights seem so dim...

    Am I missing something? EYE10 looks like it's max output is 260 lumens. I have a hard time believing that would be brighter than the SC600 putting out 750 lumens. Also, more levels isn't necessarily always good. I love the SC600 because it has the levels that I use most easily accessible without cycling. If what I just wrote makes no sense I wouldn't be surprised... just woke up.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Since the SC600 all the NEW lights seem so dim...

    I felt the same about my SC600 and then I picked up an Eagletac D25LC2. Short of having a true moonlight level this thing covers any needs I have and I find it much easier to edc.
    I prefer the white tint across the entire beam in contrast to the ZL's "creamy" hot spot and slightly purple spill. As far as total output, I'd say it's a dead heat but maybe my D25LC2 is an overachiever.
    Then there's the fuel issue, SC600 is 18650 only, whereas the Eagletac will take your choice of up to 8.4 volts. That's a lot of options!

  6. #6
    Flashaholic* Bwolcott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    564

    Default Re: Since the SC600 all the NEW lights seem so dim...

    Quote Originally Posted by syntax View Post
    Am I missing something? EYE10 looks like it's max output is 260 lumens. I have a hard time believing that would be brighter than the SC600 putting out 750 lumens. Also, more levels isn't necessarily always good. I love the SC600 because it has the levels that I use most easily accessible without cycling. If what I just wrote makes no sense I wouldn't be surprised... just woke up.




    hes probably running a 16340 battery in which case it will put out much more then 260 lumens

  7. #7
    Flashaholic* Bwolcott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    564

    Default Re: Since the SC600 all the NEW lights seem so dim...

    Quote Originally Posted by Up All Night View Post
    I felt the same about my SC600 and then I picked up an Eagletac D25LC2. Short of having a true moonlight level this thing covers any needs I have and I find it much easier to edc.
    I prefer the white tint across the entire beam in contrast to the ZL's "creamy" hot spot and slightly purple spill. As far as total output, I'd say it's a dead heat but maybe my D25LC2 is an overachiever.
    Then there's the fuel issue, SC600 is 18650 only, whereas the Eagletac will take your choice of up to 8.4 volts. That's a lot of options!

    I agree completely if a light can not use primaries and accepts rechargeables only I dont want it, you may not always have the ability to recharge a light

  8. #8

    Default Re: Since the SC600 all the NEW lights seem so dim...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bwolcott View Post
    I agree completely if a light can not use primaries and accepts rechargeables only I dont want it, you may not always have the ability to recharge a light
    Ive thought about this many times...and Its so very rare I am That far from some sort of power source, Ive discounted primaries altogether...
    Even on a light intensive day at work, I pocket an extra 18650 and never look back...a few days camping? I pack a few 18650's...just like I would pack primaries...

  9. #9

    Default Re: Since the SC600 all the NEW lights seem so dim...

    Quote Originally Posted by justanotherguy View Post
    Ive thought about this many times...and Its so very rare I am That far from some sort of power source, Ive discounted primaries altogether...
    Even on a light intensive day at work, I pocket an extra 18650 and never look back...a few days camping? I pack a few 18650's...just like I would pack primaries...
    I'm never without extra cells/lights and rarely any further than a few hundred yards from an AC outlet. I won't rule out a light because of limited power sources but it never hurts to have options.
    Some folks can't be bothered charging cells, especially Li-ions with the monitoring involved. Of course that is until the "ka-ching" of the cash register starts to take it's toll!(pun intended)

  10. #10
    Flashaholic* Bwolcott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    564

    Default Re: Since the SC600 all the NEW lights seem so dim...

    Quote Originally Posted by justanotherguy View Post
    Ive thought about this many times...and Its so very rare I am That far from some sort of power source, Ive discounted primaries altogether...
    Even on a light intensive day at work, I pocket an extra 18650 and never look back...a few days camping? I pack a few 18650's...just like I would pack primaries...

    if you have a long power outage you will have no way to charge batteries unless you have a solar charging set up

  11. #11
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Anaheim, CA.
    Posts
    1,914

    Default Re: Since the SC600 all the NEW lights seem so dim...

    but if you stock enough 18650 batteries, and have them charged you will have plenty of back up power.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bwolcott View Post
    if you have a long power outage you will have no way to charge batteries unless you have a solar charging set up

  12. #12
    Flashaholic Grmnracing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    CT USA
    Posts
    193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bwolcott View Post
    I agree completely if a light can not use primaries and accepts rechargeables only I dont want it, you may not always have the ability to recharge a light
    IMO, Most people have generators for long power outages. I don't really see a valid draw back of rechargables personally. If your lost in the woods or in some accident stranded somewhere primary's with be the same as rechargables dead once you used them. Sure most primary's will give you longer run times, but it's possible that a higher output is what you need to be rescued.

    So in the end who really knows. Now that you read all this you will realize that this post was pretty meaning less.


    ---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?3jp2qy

  13. #13

    Default Re: Since the SC600 all the NEW lights seem so dim...

    Quote Originally Posted by Grmnracing View Post
    IMO, Most people have generators for long power outages. I don't really see a valid draw back of rechargables personally. If your lost in the woods or in some accident stranded somewhere primary's with be the same as rechargables dead once you used them. Sure most primary's will give you longer run times, but it's possible that a higher output is what you need to be rescued.

    So in the end who really knows. Now that you read all this you will realize that this post was pretty meaning less.


    ---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?3jp2qy
    Hardly meaningless. You bring up a good point. Primary or rechargeable, a dead battery is a dead battery! So carry plenty of both!
    If you're stuck with one light you really should have one that can use either!

    P.S. I think we're drifting OT here. Apologies to the OP.

    Alternatives to the SC600 it is!

  14. #14

    Default Re: Since the SC600 all the NEW lights seem so dim...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bwolcott View Post
    I agree completely if a light can not use primaries and accepts rechargeables only I dont want it, you may not always have the ability to recharge a light
    After using 18650's in a sc600, I never wanted to use another type of battery. No love for primary batteries here. An 18650 beats two primary cr123's any day in both cost and run time.
    Last edited by maxrep12; 06-29-2012 at 10:53 PM.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Since the SC600 all the NEW lights seem so dim...

    Quote Originally Posted by maxrep12 View Post
    After using 18650's in a sc600, I never wanted to use another type of battery. No love for primary batteries here. An 18650 beats two primary cr123's any day in both cost and run time.
    Yep. Plus it feels like a waste of money!!! SC600 is a little beast also

  16. #16
    Flashaholic* Bwolcott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    564

    Default Re: Since the SC600 all the NEW lights seem so dim...

    Quote Originally Posted by maxrep12 View Post
    After using 18650's in a sc600, I never wanted to use another type of battery. No love for primary batteries here. An 18650 beats two primary cr123's any day in both cost and run time.
    I just prefer lights that take both ( just in case) which could mean a lot of things, I run all my lights on rechargeables but they all can use primaries if I needed them to, which I keep a good stock or primary lithiums

  17. #17

    Default Re: Since the SC600 all the NEW lights seem so dim...

    I almost did not buy the SC600 because of the 18650 only, but have not once needed more than 2 18650's on a trip (week +). Due to the high cost of cr123's, it's cheaper for me to own 4 nice 18650's and cycle them only a couple times a month. Heck, I have a 2200mAh AW from years ago that still has great capacity. No matter if it's primary or rechargable, I still have to pack it in, pack it out.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Since the SC600 all the NEW lights seem so dim...

    I'm using AW 3100's in my SC600 and I have to say the run-times are incredible. I haven't done any "tests" but when I first received the light I was checking voltage every other day and was left scratching my head. I was playing with this thing on high and max several times daily and the voltage was barely dropping.
    My cells come off my 47's charger @ 4.15 volts and seem to take forever to get down to 4 volts, it's now to the point that I check voltage weekly and even at that rate I've never seen voltage lower than 3.8. At which time I pop them in the charger.

    The Eagletac D25LC2 is eating a button top Eagletac 3100 and it's quite obvious it's not going to be close in run-time to the SC600. I guess a dedicated voltage circuit has it's advantages.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bwolcott View Post
    if you have a long power outage you will have no way to charge batteries unless you have a solar charging set up
    Pila makes a car charger adapter. Perfect for long camping trips.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Since the SC600 all the NEW lights seem so dim...

    Quote Originally Posted by Up All Night View Post
    I'm using AW 3100's in my SC600 and I have to say the run-times are incredible. I haven't done any "tests" but when I first received the light I was checking voltage every other day and was left scratching my head. I was playing with this thing on high and max several times daily and the voltage was barely dropping.
    My cells come off my 47's charger @ 4.15 volts and seem to take forever to get down to 4 volts, it's now to the point that I check voltage weekly and even at that rate I've never seen voltage lower than 3.8. At which time I pop them in the charger.

    The Eagletac D25LC2 is eating a button top Eagletac 3100 and it's quite obvious it's not going to be close in run-time to the SC600. I guess a dedicated voltage circuit has it's advantages.
    Ditto on the dedicated voltage. Until you try the sc600 on 18650's, its hard to see why the the current users have no interest in other battery sources. Just have a few extra 18650's around as each provides extremely generous run time.

  21. #21
    Flashaholic* burntoshine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    the local group
    Posts
    853

    Default Re: Since the SC600 all the NEW lights seem so dim...

    yeah, i have to say that the SC600w has become my favorite flashlight (my other favorite is the MiNi CR2; for different reasons). i have two of them. two SC600w's on the handlebars and a H600w on the noggin makes for great night rides through the woods.

    at night i have been keeping one of them on the nightstand, head down, with moonmode on. my nightstand has a thick layer of glass on top of the wood, so the SC600w has a glow around it; this way i can easily find it in the middle of the night.

    ideal size and nicely contoured body (which makes it really comfortable to hold), geat UI (all with one perfectly recessed side soft-click electronic switch), amazing runtimes, awesome light!
    i like flashlights.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Since the SC600 all the NEW lights seem so dim...

    burntoshine,

    Are the SC600w and H600w essentially the same light in different forms? Is one brighter, or runs longer than the other? Thanks.
    EDC: Zebralight H52w; Backup/loaner: Olight i3S
    Zebralight Mods: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=293092
    The only useful tool is the one you have with you when you need it.

  23. #23
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    388

    Default Re: Since the SC600 all the NEW lights seem so dim...

    Just got back from a week of camping. Brought along a Mini CR123 HCRI, SC600w with spare batteries, and a Nitecore Universal charger with car adapapter. Did a couple of night hikes with the SC600 mostly using the medium setting, but when needed, the high had more than enough throw for my needs. When hiking a rocky trail through pines, you can only see so far anyway and the bright flood was actually better for finding a rather poorly marked trail. The Mini was my toss in the pocket, around camp light.
    Deus Vult

  24. #24

    Default

    I like lights that run a variety of primary and rechargeable batteries, AA sized though, not 123s. I've based all my portable elctronic devices (cellphone backups, GPS, radios, UV water purifiers, flashlights) around NiMh AAs and it's so nice to be able take one small charger and one set of spare batts to feed everything. After the spares are gone, the ability to cannibalize between devices and then go store bought leaves you with a deep deep back-up bench. Also have a nice 4oz/2-cigarette-pack-sized solar charger that will take care of my emergeny electrical needs indefinitely.

    I'm playing with 14500s just to show-off with, but I suspect the added monitoring with Li-ions will wear me out. I'm a low lumen enthusiast and mostly use 0.3, 3, 24 lumens as my LMH, so 1xAA NiMh already last too long and end up pulling good batts out just to cycle them.

    By the way, the worst thing you can do to a Li-ion, after exposure to high temps, is to use it as a back-up (effectively storing it at 100% charge)... if you're not currently using a Li-ion, it's much better to let it sit at 40% capacity.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Since the SC600 all the NEW lights seem so dim...

    Quote Originally Posted by reppans View Post
    I like lights that run a variety of primary and rechargeable batteries, AA sized though, not 123s. I've based all my portable elctronic devices (cellphone backups, GPS, radios, UV water purifiers, flashlights) around NiMh AAs and it's so nice to be able take one small charger and one set of spare batts to feed everything. After the spares are gone, the ability to cannibalize between devices and then go store bought leaves you with a deep deep back-up bench. Also have a nice 4oz/2-cigarette-pack-sized solar charger that will take care of my emergeny electrical needs indefinitely.

    I'm playing with 14500s just to show-off with, but I suspect the added monitoring with Li-ions will wear me out. I'm a low lumen enthusiast and mostly use 0.3, 3, 24 lumens as my LMH, so 1xAA NiMh already last too long and end up pulling good batts out just to cycle them.

    By the way, the worst thing you can do to a Li-ion, after exposure to high temps, is to use it as a back-up (effectively storing it at 100% charge)... if you're not currently using a Li-ion, it's much better to let it sit at 40% capacity.
    If there's one battery that's ubiquitous it's the AA!

  26. #26
    Flashaholic* burntoshine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    the local group
    Posts
    853

    Default Re: Since the SC600 all the NEW lights seem so dim...

    Quote Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
    burntoshine,

    Are the SC600w and H600w essentially the same light in different forms? Is one brighter, or runs longer than the other? Thanks.
    to me, they are nearly identical as far as brightness, beam pattern and throw are concerned. and yeah, that's basically how i think of them in my mind; the same light in different forms. i've just done some quick comparisons in the dark. there are probably some differences between them, but they're not significant enough for me to notice with my usage.
    i like flashlights.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •