Since the SC600 all the NEW lights seem so dim...

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
I've seen these threads before, so I guess it's my turn to throw this out there. I bought a Zebralight SC600 last year and have carried it a lot since then. I've been spoiled by how much light this thing produces and how perfectly low the moonlight mode is. I find myself comparing all newly released lights to it and finding they fall short. If it can fit in my pocket, it better have 750 lumens! I'm not interested in a light I can't EDC, because be it at work or in the woods: if it doesn't fit in my pocket I probably won't grab it as I go out the door. The Tiny Monster and "fist of flood" 3x18650 lights do little for me. I almost went for a Sunwayman with the infinite control ring, but it's hard to say anything is more convenient than a single button that accesses high or low depending on how long you press it.

Now the SC600 may not be for everyone. It's a bit large for some for EDC and that's a deal killer if it is.
The point of this thread is the SC600 was released a year ago, yet I have not seen another flashlight released since that even comes close to meeting my needs so perfectly. Brightness, build quality, efficiency, and UI: the SC600 has it all for me.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
*snort* try a Torchlab H3 triple. It's my gardening light, and it makes my little veggie patches daylight at 9pm. I like my SC600W, but it doesn't have the reach of the door Mag Lites. I can shine through the pines in front of the house and across the field - and see the cat in the soybeans.

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my SC600w too but just thought I'd throw this out there...I also have an EYE10 and I can tell you that it is brighter, throws farther, has more levels (can go down far dimmer than the SC600) and is MUCH smaller than the SC600 (heck, it's way smaller than the SC60!) Might be a good addition for you. :cool: Now if they only made it in neutral!

syntax

Newly Enlightened
Am I missing something? EYE10 looks like it's max output is 260 lumens. I have a hard time believing that would be brighter than the SC600 putting out 750 lumens. Also, more levels isn't necessarily always good. I love the SC600 because it has the levels that I use most easily accessible without cycling. If what I just wrote makes no sense I wouldn't be surprised... just woke up.

Up All Night

Enlightened
I felt the same about my SC600 and then I picked up an Eagletac D25LC2. Short of having a true moonlight level this thing covers any needs I have and I find it much easier to edc.
I prefer the white tint across the entire beam in contrast to the ZL's "creamy" hot spot and slightly purple spill. As far as total output, I'd say it's a dead heat but maybe my D25LC2 is an overachiever.
Then there's the fuel issue, SC600 is 18650 only, whereas the Eagletac will take your choice of up to 8.4 volts. That's a lot of options! :thumbsup:

Bwolcott

Enlightened
Am I missing something? EYE10 looks like it's max output is 260 lumens. I have a hard time believing that would be brighter than the SC600 putting out 750 lumens. Also, more levels isn't necessarily always good. I love the SC600 because it has the levels that I use most easily accessible without cycling. If what I just wrote makes no sense I wouldn't be surprised... just woke up.

hes probably running a 16340 battery in which case it will put out much more then 260 lumens

Bwolcott

Enlightened
I felt the same about my SC600 and then I picked up an Eagletac D25LC2. Short of having a true moonlight level this thing covers any needs I have and I find it much easier to edc.
I prefer the white tint across the entire beam in contrast to the ZL's "creamy" hot spot and slightly purple spill. As far as total output, I'd say it's a dead heat but maybe my D25LC2 is an overachiever.
Then there's the fuel issue, SC600 is 18650 only, whereas the Eagletac will take your choice of up to 8.4 volts. That's a lot of options! :thumbsup:

I agree completely if a light can not use primaries and accepts rechargeables only I dont want it, you may not always have the ability to recharge a light

justanotherguy

Enlightened
I agree completely if a light can not use primaries and accepts rechargeables only I dont want it, you may not always have the ability to recharge a light

Ive thought about this many times...and Its so very rare I am That far from some sort of power source, Ive discounted primaries altogether...
Even on a light intensive day at work, I pocket an extra 18650 and never look back...a few days camping? I pack a few 18650's...just like I would pack primaries...

Up All Night

Enlightened
Ive thought about this many times...and Its so very rare I am That far from some sort of power source, Ive discounted primaries altogether...
Even on a light intensive day at work, I pocket an extra 18650 and never look back...a few days camping? I pack a few 18650's...just like I would pack primaries...

I'm never without extra cells/lights and rarely any further than a few hundred yards from an AC outlet. I won't rule out a light because of limited power sources but it never hurts to have options.
Some folks can't be bothered charging cells, especially Li-ions with the monitoring involved. Of course that is until the "ka-ching" of the cash register starts to take it's toll!(pun intended)

Bwolcott

Enlightened

if you have a long power outage you will have no way to charge batteries unless you have a solar charging set up

Grmnracing

Newly Enlightened

IMO, Most people have generators for long power outages. I don't really see a valid draw back of rechargables personally. If your lost in the woods or in some accident stranded somewhere primary's with be the same as rechargables dead once you used them. Sure most primary's will give you longer run times, but it's possible that a higher output is what you need to be rescued.

So in the end who really knows. Now that you read all this you will realize that this post was pretty meaning less.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?3jp2qy

Up All Night

Enlightened
IMO, Most people have generators for long power outages. I don't really see a valid draw back of rechargables personally. If your lost in the woods or in some accident stranded somewhere primary's with be the same as rechargables dead once you used them. Sure most primary's will give you longer run times, but it's possible that a higher output is what you need to be rescued.

So in the end who really knows. Now that you read all this you will realize that this post was pretty meaning less.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?3jp2qy

Hardly meaningless. You bring up a good point. Primary or rechargeable, a dead battery is a dead battery! So carry plenty of both!:thumbsup:
If you're stuck with one light you really should have one that can use either!

P.S. I think we're drifting OT here. Apologies to the OP.

Alternatives to the SC600 it is!

maxrep12

Newly Enlightened

After using 18650's in a sc600, I never wanted to use another type of battery. No love for primary batteries here. An 18650 beats two primary cr123's any day in both cost and run time.

Last edited:

biglights

Enlightened
After using 18650's in a sc600, I never wanted to use another type of battery. No love for primary batteries here. An 18650 beats two primary cr123's any day in both cost and run time.

Yep. Plus it feels like a waste of money!!! SC600 is a little beast also :rolleyes:

Bwolcott

Enlightened

I just prefer lights that take both ( just in case) which could mean a lot of things, I run all my lights on rechargeables but they all can use primaries if I needed them to, which I keep a good stock or primary lithiums

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
I almost did not buy the SC600 because of the 18650 only, but have not once needed more than 2 18650's on a trip (week +). Due to the high cost of cr123's, it's cheaper for me to own 4 nice 18650's and cycle them only a couple times a month. Heck, I have a 2200mAh AW from years ago that still has great capacity. No matter if it's primary or rechargable, I still have to pack it in, pack it out.

Up All Night

Enlightened
I'm using AW 3100's in my SC600 and I have to say the run-times are incredible. I haven't done any "tests" but when I first received the light I was checking voltage every other day and was left scratching my head. I was playing with this thing on high and max several times daily and the voltage was barely dropping.
My cells come off my 47's charger @ 4.15 volts and seem to take forever to get down to 4 volts, it's now to the point that I check voltage weekly and even at that rate I've never seen voltage lower than 3.8. At which time I pop them in the charger.

The Eagletac D25LC2 is eating a button top Eagletac 3100 and it's quite obvious it's not going to be close in run-time to the SC600. I guess a dedicated voltage circuit has it's advantages.

maxrep12

Newly Enlightened
I'm using AW 3100's in my SC600 and I have to say the run-times are incredible. I haven't done any "tests" but when I first received the light I was checking voltage every other day and was left scratching my head. I was playing with this thing on high and max several times daily and the voltage was barely dropping.
My cells come off my 47's charger @ 4.15 volts and seem to take forever to get down to 4 volts, it's now to the point that I check voltage weekly and even at that rate I've never seen voltage lower than 3.8. At which time I pop them in the charger.

The Eagletac D25LC2 is eating a button top Eagletac 3100 and it's quite obvious it's not going to be close in run-time to the SC600. I guess a dedicated voltage circuit has it's advantages.
Ditto on the dedicated voltage. Until you try the sc600 on 18650's, its hard to see why the the current users have no interest in other battery sources. Just have a few extra 18650's around as each provides extremely generous run time.