Common LED Datasheets, Binning and Information Reference

Bigpal

Enlightened
Hey everybody,

I know there are some color charts floating around pertaining to flux and binning, etc, but I often found myself in a tedious search when trying to determine exactly what LED was being referred to.

When I was searching for a neutral white flashlight, many of the codes I know now, I didn't know then. I'd see that this was the LED and didn't know what temperature or type it was.

So, here is some imformation on some popular LEDs in one place. If something like this is posted, I'm not stepping on your toes. I just wanted to consolidate some links, info and images and it works for me. It is not an exhaustive post, but I included some links where you can find more info if you don't see what you need. I hope some will find it useful - if you find a mistake, please let me know:

POPULAR CREE BIN COLOR TEMPERATURE RANGES

XB-D datasheet

XP-C Datasheet

MC-E Datasheet

If the Cree LED that you are looking for is not here, you can find the whole Cree family here.

Other popular LED datasheets
For more Luxeon information, click THIS LINK for Rebel or THIS LINK for Star. Select the LED > 'Learn More' > 'Detailed Specifications' for datasheets.

SST-50

SST-50 Binning

SST-90

SST-90 Binning

Color, Flux and Vf Charts and Links
(from LED Threads of Interest - DFiorentino)​

Last edited:

Bigpal

Enlightened
Re: Common LED Datasheet, Binning and information Reference

Reserved for more info

IlluminatedOne

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for doing this, makes it much easier to pick the one you want :).

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Biggest thing that catches my eye is Luxeon is claiming a CRI of 85 for the 5000k LXW8-PW50. Does Cree have anything close? So, either Luxeon is exagerating and/or using a slightly different chart, or there's a one heck of a tech gap.

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast

Biggest thing that catches my eye is Luxeon is claiming a CRI of 85 for the 5000k LXW8-PW50. Does Cree have anything close? So, either Luxeon is exagerating and/or using a slightly different chart, or there's a one heck of a tech gap.

Eyeballing the Luxeon datasheet I'd say it's a minimum vs average. As per the sheets Bigpal has put up, Cree's 90-CRI White means a minimum CRI of 90, while the Luxeon datasheet indicates their LXW8-PW50s have a minimum of 80, typical of 85. Their 3000K LEDs sound similar to the Crees though, minimum of 90, typical of 95.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast

As per the sheets Bigpal has put up, Cree's 90-CRI White means a minimum CRI of 90, while the Luxeon datasheet indicates their LXW8-PW50s have a minimum of 80, typical of 85. Their 3000K LEDs sound similar to the Crees though, minimum of 90, typical of 95

?

Maybe I'm missing something, but where in the posted data sheets does Cree have a cool white LED with a CRI of 90, or any LED with a CRI of 95? The Rebel LXW8-PW50 has a 'typical' CRI of 85 at a CCT of 5000, which is higher than virtually all the Crees except for warm white. So, is Luxeon using a different reference standard (??) because that's a pretty huge discrepency.

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe I'm missing something, but where in the posted data sheets does Cree have a cool white LED with a CRI of 90, or any LED with a CRI of 95? The Rebel LXW8-PW50 has a 'typical' CRI of 85 at a CCT of 5000, which is higher than virtually all the Crees except for warm white. So, is Luxeon using a different reference standard (??) because that's a pretty huge discrepency.

My apologies for the confusion, in regards to your original question I was only indicating where the discrepancy appears to be. When I typed about Cree's 90-CRI White I was merely noting the CRI that they're described as having, not any particular CCT. When Cree says something is 90-CRI White they're saying the minimum CRI is 90, while when Luxeon saying something is 90 CRI they're saying the typical CRI is 90, so it follows that Cree looks worse off (similar to describing OTF vs emitter lumens).

In short, yes they're using a different reference standard, average vs minimum. By Luxeon's standard of using the minimum, then yes Cree would have LEDs with a CRI of 95 (pretty much all the datasheets for high CRI LEDs I've seen have about a 5-7 point difference between minimum and typical/average CRI), but by Cree's own standards then no they wouldn't.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
By 'reference standard' I'm referring to the chart used to establish the actual CRI calibration of the emitter.

Getting past the grammar nuances, Luxeon claims a 'typical' CRI of 85 for the LXW8-PW50 at 5000k, and Cree claims a 'typical' CRI of 70 or 75 for the XPG at 5000k depending on what family the emitter belongs to.

Given the extreme competiveness of the two companies and the almost surreal vacancy of higher CRI emitters in anything marginally over 4100k, the 85 CRI claim of Luxeon seems pretty extraordinary. Either Luxeon is using a reference that makes the emitter seem better than it is, or there needs to be a lot more discussion about it. Pretty much what I was getting at.

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh, I get you now.

I think that might be chalked up to Cree's relative newness in the CRI area. E.g. the recent batches of high CRI Nichia 219s that have become available recently were ~4500K and with a typical CRI of 92, so Luxeon having some Rebels at 5000K and a CRI of 85 doesn't seem that far off to me.