HDS Systems

Thread: Al Mar Rocks!

Flashaholic*

Thumbs up Al Mar Rocks!

A cheerful note on a manufacturer that stands behind its products: I've used an Al Mar SERE 2000 folder for about a decade, and used it hard. It's done a few things not recommended for knives. Not long ago, I contacted Al Mar Knives and arranged to send it back because of an issue with the tiny screws holding the pocket clip and the steel block they thread into. I expected reasonable charges for repair and/or refurbishment. I had a couple of pleasant phone conversations with "Gary," during the last of which he asked if I had any sentimental attachment to that particular knife. I told him "No, only the work it can do." I am right now looking at an invoice that says "1 S2K loose, worn and well used throughout. Per Gary - exchange for a new one. N/C." And there is a brand new Al Mar SERE 2000 clipped into my pocket. I wish there were more companies like that.
    There are two kinds of light - the glow that illumines, and the glare that obscures. ~James Thurber

Default Re: Al Mar Rocks!

Yikes, I would not want a whole new knife for free after a decade of hard use.
    "Push back the night" - Bob Weir

Flashaholic

Yeah. I love Al Mar. I have an Falcon classic that's really nice.

Flashaholic*

They probably could have replaced clip screws that were becoming stripped, fixed the little issue with the block those screws go into, and salvaged that much abused blade. Gary asked if I had a sentimental attachment to that particular knife. I made it clear that I was only interested in what it is and what it can do. So I'm no longer looking at the little dings on the back of the blade where I whacked it, doing things I shouldn't have, starting over at wearing the textured G10 scales until they are almost smooth, seeing fresh screws throughout, seeing the same perfect lockup, and getting used to a dark clip instead of silver.

Anyone who looks at a sample of his product that's been used hard for a decade, and says "it's well worn, here's a new one," when that product has a price in three figures, counts as standing behind the brand. I think there are a good number of such makers in the knife and gun community. I've been thinking about a smaller "gentleman's pocket folder" for when I'm not in work clothes and don't carry the SERE 2000. I'll definitely look at Al Mar.
    There are two kinds of light - the glow that illumines, and the glare that obscures. ~James Thurber