Close call - almost lost my EDC flashlight!

d337944

Enlightened
Hey all, I'm sure many of you've almost lost a valuable flashlight you were EDC'ing at one time or other, so I thought I'd start a thread about almost losing my favoured Surefire LX2 yesterday! I've read many threads about "lost" flashlights, but nothing general about "almost losing" flashlights.

As IT Network Engineer and PC Support / Home Entertainment installer, I always EDC a flashlight as I need one to peer inside gloomy patch rooms or cabinets, sort out network cabling, or check the insides of machines etc. I've been happily EDC'ing a Surefire LX2 for about a year now, clipped to the inside of my pants pocket, and have never had any "close calls" until yesterday ...

After work I dropped by a local charity organisation to donate some bags of unneeded clothes. I picked up 3 large bags of clothes from the back of my car and then carried them to one of the large clothing bins at the back of their store. As I lifted the first bag over the bin I heard something hard knock against the bin. I was puzzled as I knew there was only soft clothing in the bag, so I swung the bag back away from the bin, checked the bin and the bag to ensure nothing was in the way, then lifted the bag back over the bin. Once again I heard a knocking noise!

This time fully puzzled, I brought the bags away from the bin, lifted the first bag up to fully inspect all around it, and there clipped to the bottom of the bag was my LX2! Somehow my LX2 had dislodged from being clipped to the inside of my pocket, and become snagged to the bottom of the bag, tearing a small hole! :ohgeez:

IF I had not heard the LX2 knock against the donation bin, I would have dropped the 3 bags off without thinking twice ... and later when I discovered the missing flashlight I would never have guessed it to be at the good will store! :faint:

So, there's my close call story for you all. I'm now reconsidering my carrying technique, or maybe upping my "checking technique" where I should always check my EDC equipment whenever I enter or exit a vehicle or building.

I hope anyone else with similar experiences will like to share their story, so that maybe others can learn some DOs and DON'Ts from our collective experiences.

Cheers
d337944

yliu

Enlightened
Glad that you didn't loose your light!

I never had close calls, but I have had several lights (small ones) just disappear and I never even get to find out how I lost them.

I even had a Maglite that never left my house missing :S

LGT

Enlightened
While being seated at a restaurant my HDS 200 rotary fell out of my pocket. My Wife said,"you dropped your flashlight" If not for her noticing this, it would have been lost.

B.B.

Newly Enlightened
I've dropped my EDC blade a few times. I used to have a spyderco police model. I carried it clipped in my right front pocket, but I dropped it at a friends house and my parents house and in my car. All three places I got it back from, more than once, but I knew one day it would be gone if I kept it up.

I loved that knife, but just sitting down made it worm it's way outa my pocket, like it didn't love me back. LOL

d337944

Enlightened
Yeah, besides my "close call", I've had my LX2 (with deep carry clip in my front pocket) come a little lose at times but I've always been able to discover it before it fell out! I'm beginning to wonder whether it's just safer with a pouch instead of clipped inside my pocket?

I've also had a small swiss army knife, clipped to my keychain on my belt, that fell off whilst at work ... turns out the clip had broken, and luckily my boss spotted it on the floor of the office! :ohgeez:

d337944

Enlightened
While being seated at a restaurant my HDS 200 rotary fell out of my pocket. My Wife said,"you dropped your flashlight" If not for her noticing this, it would have been lost.

Far out - that was a close call mate! Boy you would've felt sick if you'd lost that one LGT ...

jacksmith

Newly Enlightened
I've had my LX2 come a little lose at times but I've always been able to discover it before it fell out!:naughty:

fyrstormer

Banned
I haven't had a close call with my flashlights yet, even though I loaned multiple McGizmos to people in the past (I think telling them the purchase price inspires them to be more careful), but I *did* once lose a USB flash drive with mortgage and tax documents on it. I sweated really hard about that for a few weeks until my friend found it plugged into his work computer, where I had plugged it in so I could print some financial documents. Scary stuff.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Great thread here !

One time, my seat belt managed to "catch" onto the pocket clip of my 1xAA light.

This pulled it OUT of my pocket.

Then, after opening the car door, and exiting the vehicle . . . .

I hear a metallic " crack " noise on the concrete driveway.

Looked down, and was utterly AMAZED that my Very Secure, Deep-Pocket Carry flashlight
had managed to be "accidently extracted" so effortlessly !

:eek:

Had i parked on dirt or grass (rather than pavement),
I never would have HEARD it fall on the ground !

:eeksign:

And it would've been LOST forever !

:awman:
_

Ishango

Enlightened
This happened to me a few times with my SC51w/ sc30w. Since the ZebraLight clips turn outwards quite a bit at the end it hooked to my clothing (jacket, shirt) a few times while EDC'ing it. I also had it happen with my work backpack gripping the end of the clip. Since I love my ZL lights I keep an extra close eye to them. I also experienced this problem with my iTP A3 EOS a few times (the clip has become a bit loose after EDC'ing it a lot. I now usually just pocket carry it when I use it as EDC. With my other lights I haven't experienced this problem.

d337944

Enlightened
Great thread here !

One time, my seat belt managed to "catch" onto the pocket clip of my 1xAA light.

This pulled it OUT of my pocket.

Then, after opening the car door, and exiting the vehicle . . . .

I hear a metallic " crack " noise on the concrete driveway.

Looked down, and was utterly AMAZED that my Very Secure, Deep-Pocket Carry flashlight
had managed to be "accidently extracted" so effortlessly !

:eek:

Had i parked on dirt or grass (rather than pavement),
I never would have HEARD it fall on the ground !

:eeksign:

And it would've been LOST forever !

:awman:
_

Mate, this also happened to my HDS Clicky Hi Cri almost two years ago! I'd only just purchased it, and was using the standard black clip (not the old huge clips but the current ones) clipped onto my belt. I was parked in front of my folk's house and opened the door to get out ... after I released my seatbelt I heard my new treasure hit the asphalt! :faint:

I didn't count that as a "close call", but you've got a good point - had it flicked out over dirt / grass I wouldn't have heard it! Anyway, the new black Ti bezel was scratched, as well as some of the ano on the body. After a mourning period of a few days, I got over the "damaged" finish, and have enjoyed it ever since.

Still ... I'm considering carrying my EDCs in pouches from now on ...

mat_the_cat

Newly Enlightened
Not had any close calls with lights to rival the above, but very nearly lost my (at the time) EDC knife which I've had for 20 years now. I was on a motorcycle camping tour when I stopped for a bite to eat. When I finished with my knife I placed it down on my top box, and 5 minutes later set off without a second thought. Several miles down the road, with a sense of dread I realised I couldn't recall putting it back safely. Needless to say it was no longer there so I sadly continued on my way. On reaching the camping spot later that day, imagine my surprise at finding my knife just resting in the V between my rolled up sleeping mat and top box - it had sat like that for maybe 100 miles!