Acebeam
Page 2 of 145 FirstFirst 1234567891252102 ... LastLast

Thread: MBI #3 - Codename: HF

Default Re: MBI #3 - Codename: HF

Quote Originally Posted by emu124 View Post
    Thanks TGWNN
    I prefer a split ring for lanyard attachement. But I think it would need a ring that is shaped like a "D" to move it to the side like the red split ring in the pic above.
    I had (and still have) this problem with Kuku's 38/40/44DD's and it's quite hard to find a ring that works with these tail design.
    But wait... maybe you could provide such a D-shaped ring with the light
    Hi Emu,

Thanks for the reply.
    Excellent idea!!

Let me see if I can track down or make the perfect D shaped split ring!!
    Then the groove at the top is less of an issue, and of course it would be a perfect fit for the Torpedo as well.

There are plenty of D shaped rings available but a split D ring would be awesome.
    Now I have my mission set for tomorrow

Tgwnn

Really nice little design, i'm interested in one.
    Also like the idea of a DLC option but i suspect the minimum unit coating requirement will be a far higher number than you plan to produce.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofty View Post
    Also like the idea of a DLC option but i suspect the minimum unit coating requirement will be a far higher number than you plan to produce.
    Hi Tofty,

Thanks.
    Re: DLC, yes, that may be the case unless its homebrewed
    If you have any examples of products I could use as a reference for the type of finish, please do let me know.

I tested a D-shaped split ring.
    It fits just fine but there is a lot more play (sliding action) on the ring as the mount point is a few mm compared to about 15mm of the ring.

A more standard oval shaped split ring might work better, with less play, and these are more readily available.
    In carry mode, the oval ring would be elongated (vertical), and when you need to tailstand it, just slide it so its horizontal.

I made a quick test version pictured below to give you an idea....

below: oval split ring, in carry mode

below: oval split ring, in tailstand mode

what do you think?

tgwnn

I think that oval ring is a winner! Are they available in ti? Or maybe stainless steel would be easier to find.

-Alex
    -Alex

I was thinking of a coating similar to the one used by leatherman on some of their higher end multitools.

However these chemical vapor deposition (CVD) processes require: Very contolled environments, high temperatures (300-2000 degrees celcius) and complex gases of even plasmas to work.
    And with the diamond-like carbon (DLC) coating being one of the most complex processes i rather doubt it could be achieved anywhere other than in the very expensive machines designed for the purpose.
    Might be worth sending an email to a company that offer a coating service just to confirm that it would be ruinously expensive to have done.

As for the split ring issue; i made a small keychain torch a while ago with a similar tail design that allows the light to be attached to a 20mm mcgizmo clip.

Not really a solution to any split ring issues but could be an alternative way of securing the light which can be easily detached, leaving it free to tail-stand.
    Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by the_guy_with_no_name View Post
    Hi archimedes,
    There's always a chance though beyond using an optical grade epoxy to achieve a DLC type effect, I have not had any further experience with that. Happy to try anything, just about anytime
    ....tgwnn
    Hi Tofty,

Thanks.
    Re: DLC, yes, that may be the case unless its homebrewed
    If you have any examples of products I could use as a reference for the type of finish, please do let me know....
    tgwnn
    ....I was thinking of a coating similar to the one used by leatherman on some of their higher end multitools....

However these chemical vapor deposition (CVD) processes require: Very contolled environments, high temperatures (300-2000 degrees celcius) and complex gases of even plasmas to work.
    And with the diamond-like carbon (DLC) coating being one of the most complex processes i rather doubt it could be achieved anywhere other than in the very expensive machines designed for the purpose.
    Might be worth sending an email to a company that offer a coating service just to confirm that it would be ruinously expensive to have done....
    Sending you a PM, tgwnn
    IF 2 = 1 THEN 1 = 0

Enlightened

Looks great! Will you have a supply of Cottonpickers chargers available for sale when the HF pre-buy page goes up? I remember you mentioned something in the Torpedo thread about getting chargers from him.

Holy !!!
    I'll be after one of these, purely as a spare 10280 battery holder for the Torpedo of course....

Hi,

I also prefer to have lights attached with rings. This is one thing I really like about my 4sevens preon revo SS.

I would really love to see some sort of ring for this light and the torpedo.

I think it is Great that TGWNN takes feedback and looks for a solution.

xpshooter

Quote Originally Posted by climberkid View Post
    I think that oval ring is a winner! Are they available in ti? Or maybe stainless steel would be easier to find.
    -Alex
    Hi Alex,

Stainless looks to be available. Ti would be a custom thing so for now, as speed is important on the HF, I'll try and track down some SS ovals.

I was thinking of a coating similar to the one used by leatherman on some of their higher end multitools.
    Might be worth sending an email to a company that offer a coating service just to confirm that it would be ruinously expensive to have done.

As for the split ring issue; i made a small keychain torch a while ago with a similar tail design that allows the light to be attached to a 20mm mcgizmo clip.

Not really a solution to any split ring issues but could be an alternative way of securing the light which can be easily detached, leaving it free to tail-stand.
    Just a thought.
    Hi Tofty,

Thanks for posting that.
    Looks like an expensive process, perhaps something to consider once I have the HF's and if there is enough demand at such a price point.

In regards to the split ring, I think a standard round type might just fit as well, especially as the production version HF will have a smaller overall diameter. Will test and see what I can find. Happy to included a nicely suited split ring with the HF as the default.

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Sending you a PM, tgwnn
    Hi archimedes,
    Thanks very much. Reply sent

Quote Originally Posted by Flyflash View Post
    Looks great! Will you have a supply of Cottonpickers chargers available for sale when the HF pre-buy page goes up? I remember you mentioned something in the Torpedo thread about getting chargers from him.
    Hi Flyflash,
    Cottonpickers permitting, yes for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by MT_155 View Post
    Holy !!!
    I'll be after one of these, purely as a spare 10280 battery holder for the Torpedo of course....
    HI MT_155,
    Thanks. With zero parasitic drain, the HF makes a perfect battery holder

tgwnn

I'm in for one too. Who needs to eat anyway right!?

Enlightened

Another COOL project! I am up for one and some of those batteries for FULL POWER!!!

Just read the newsletter. Rock On! I am in on this one too!

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Sunnyboy View Post
    I'm in for one too. Who needs to eat anyway right!?
    Hi Orange Sunnyboy,
    Thanks
    No one can tell you've lost weight in the dark,
    but just flash them with the HF and you'll larger than life

Quote Originally Posted by Machinist Man View Post
    Another COOL project! I am up for one and some of those batteries for FULL POWER!!!
    Thanks Machinist Man,
    FULL STEAM AHEAD

Quote Originally Posted by Tixx View Post
    Just read the newsletter. Rock On! I am in on this one too!
    Hi Tixx,
    Thanks and glad to have you onboard again

tgwnn

p.s. I asked the workshop to add 1mm to the tail to make sure tail standing will be stable with the lanyard in the photo a few posts above this one. Also currently hunting down the perfectly sized oval split ring

p.p.s. Looks like I may need to make more than I initially planned.

p.p.p.s. Im thinking of calling this the light'in'bolt as the official name, what do you think?

Enlightened

I like the play on it's shape! What about "Bolt" or "The Bolt?"

Flashaholic

You know, i really want this. I missed out on the 40DD due to work related pay issues. Trying to save money, hadnt purchased a light in a LONG time till i pre-ordered your CoreTi. Now this comes along. You sir, are a genius, and a madman. I love the design though, its unique . Youve done this at a critical point as well. Steam is potentially starting their big summer sale this week. Now i need to not look at Steam at all.

Edit: i also didnt get the update, just manually adjusted my setting though so hopefully ill get other MBI updates.

Brilliant concept TGWNN, just brilliant! Count me in for 1 for sure. I envision a whole curio cabinet dedicated to MBI lights in my future! Thank you for sharing your creativity and products with all of us fellow flashlight enthisiatists here on CPF.

Quote Originally Posted by Sno4Life View Post
    I like the play on it's shape! What about "Bolt" or "The Bolt?"
    Hi Sno4Life,

Thanks. That was my first instinct after coming up with the design but Inova have registered a trademark for "Bolt" and they already have a series of lights by that name. So either something totally different or light'in'bolt, with the lightning logo is arguably different enough to avoid causing confusion to their customers.

Maybe... HotBolt?
    Useful when camping. If you switch a few HF's on high, and drop them in a cold bowl of soup, you might be able to warm it up!!

Quote Originally Posted by GrimCreaper View Post
    You know, i really want this. I missed out on the 40DD due to work related pay issues. Trying to save money, hadnt purchased a light in a LONG time till i pre-ordered your CoreTi. Now this comes along. You sir, are a genius, and a madman. I love the design though, its unique . Youve done this at a critical point as well. Steam is potentially starting their big summer sale this week. Now i need to not look at Steam at all.

Edit: i also didnt get the update, just manually adjusted my setting though so hopefully ill get other MBI updates.
    Hi GrimCreaper,
    Thanks very much
    Glad you like it and I have to be careful, maybe slow down a little before the entire CPF community starves on my account

When you click on the link in the email to update your preferences, you should also see a clickable list of previous updates which you can view in your browser.

Quote Originally Posted by rebelbayou View Post
    Brilliant concept TGWNN, just brilliant! Count me in for 1 for sure. I envision a whole curio cabinet dedicated to MBI lights in my future! Thank you for sharing your creativity and products with all of us fellow flashlight enthisiatists here on CPF.
    Hi rebelbayou,

Thanks and a cabinet will definitely be a good idea
    Pleasure of course is mine and glad to be sharing the light!!

tgwnn

Enlightened

Hi Sno4Life,

Thanks. That was my first instinct after coming up with the design but Inova have registered a trademark for "Bolt" and they already have a series of lights by that name. So either something totally different or light'in'bolt, with the lightning logo is arguably different enough to avoid causing confusion to their customers.

Maybe... HotBolt?

tgwnn

How about some variation of Brightening Bolt? (or possibly frightening bolt when you see how much light it puts out!)
    I don't collect flashlights, I just happen to own rather a lot of them. Honest.

Flashaholic*

HF just about sums it up, I think! I was away hiking all weekend, so I didn't see this, but damn.....
    TGWNN, even your hints about this product didn't stop me from being blown away. I will most definitely take one! I love the idea of this light as a spare battery tube...a 600 lumen spare battery tube (for a 500 lumen, admittedly more practical light)...LOL.

I am, once again (and still), giddy in anticipation of your products. Any guesses as to the dates of first shipment?

Edit: nevermind, just saw your 60 day estimate.
    Last edited by smokelaw1; 07-02-2012 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Endalaus View Post

How about some variation of Brightening Bolt? (or possibly frightening bolt when you see how much light it puts out!)
    Hi Endalaus,

thanks.
    Inline withe BrightningBolt (BB), I was thinking of MicroBazooka!! A little long perhaps

Quote Originally Posted by smokelaw1 View Post
    HF just about sums it up, I think! I was away hiking all weekend, so I didn't see this, but damn.....
    TGWNN, even your hints about this product didn't stop me from being blown away. I will most definitely take one! I love the idea of this light as a spare battery tube...a 600 lumen spare battery tube (for a 500 lumen, admittedly more practical light)...LOL.

I am, once again (and still), giddy in anticipation of your products. Any guesses as to the dates of first shipment?

Edit: nevermind, just saw your 60 day estimate.
    Hi SL1,

Thanks very much. Hope the hiking was good!!
    Funny to think of it that way. A 600 lumen battery holder for a 500 lumen light

Just confirmed that production will be 45 days from the time the titanium arrives.
    I just spoke to my titanium supplier today and verifying the sizes at the moment.
    Hoping to have the Ti at the workshop by next week so 60 days still seems about right.

tgwnn

HF - Ti artists impression

The bolt edges are slightly rounded so you dont hurt yourself and slimmed down to the final spec profile.

Its a little hard to grasp how small this is from the images but in Ti, this will be one very sweet light'in'bolt!

tgwnn

p.s. the lightning bolt logo is optional
    planning to add serial number somewhere unobtrusive.
    the other markings (arrow and off) won't be in the final version.

Serial maybe on bottom of tailcap? Other side of center could just be MBI? I like the idea of having the outside completely untouched, especially if there isn't any knurling. Just my opinion.

-Alex
    -Alex

Flashaholic*

That looks fantastic!! I love the bottom of the tailcap idea, but it might wear pretty fast. Also...what is the UI? Turn for light, turn more for WHAT THE HOLY HELL(?)
    Last edited by smokelaw1; 07-02-2012 at 09:04 AM.

Enlightened

How will you keep it from turning on by accident in the pocket?

At 600 lumen and being that small, how do you think the light will cope with the heat build up, especially since its titanium?

Quote Originally Posted by Clam View Post
    At 600 lumen and being that small, how do you think the light will cope with the heat build up, especially since its titanium?
    I don't understand this obsession with minor differences between titanium aluminum with respect to heat buildup. In a small light you're limited by heat capacity, not heat conductivity. Unless you immerse the light in rapidly flowing water (Or mercury) it will continue to heat up until the LED, driver, or battery fail. Small light and high power ===(A million times equals)=== heating up quickly. Copper would heat up a bit more slowly due to high heat capacity. I don't think a 10280 battery exceeds the ability of a good thermal path to titanium, steel, copper, aluminum, brass, or most metals, to move heat to the body. But no metal will cool it off quickly enough.
    My biggest light-hog is my camera.

Unobtanium will! Saw it in a movie once, so it must be true.
    -Alex

I'm in.
    Malo odiat lux (Latin proverb - Evil hates light)

Really like the artists rendition, color mine gold!

Page 2 of 145 FirstFirst 1234567891252102 ... LastLast