please recommend me a police flashlight..

MT7

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone,
I want to buy for me a police flashlight,I am not a cop,but I love the design of police flashlights :D(Maglite,Surefire R1 lawman etc.)
the new Surefire R1 lawman looks awesome but the price is much less awesome :thumbsdow 350$ is very very very very very very very expensive for me.
I want a flashlight which throw for at least 400 meters (ANSI FL1 beam distance),it's not matter if it will be a HID,incandescent or LED,but my budget for the flashlight is 220$ if it has built-in rechargeable battery, 200$ if it runs on 18650 or any other rechargeable battery, and 220$ if it runs on non-rechargeable alkaline batteries.
I want a tough flashlight,which I can trust to continue working in any situation,also Maglite drop-in is option for me,if it Meets all my other requirements,and a weatherproof or waterproof flashlight.
the flashlight output (lumens) need to be at least 250 ANSI lumens,but I prefer more than 700 lumens.
it doesn't matter if the flashlight will be a handle flashlight (with shape like all the tactical flashlights) or a flashlight with a shape similar to the shape of the Streamlight Firebox or Surefire hellfighter.
the size doesn't really matter,but I prefer a flashlight with size like the
MAGLITE 2D.
so can you please recommend me a flashlight which fit my requirements?
is there any flashlight which similar to the Surefire R1 lawman but fit my budget?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest the new Streamlight SL-20L. It is a true police flashlight. Thinking of getting one myself. I would avoid the Magcharger 1160. It's a great light but as the bulb is overdriven I would not want to be counting on it in any serious situation.

Last edited:

SoCalDep

Newly Enlightened
The SL20L is a cool light...I have three of the old SL20Xs, and one is upgraded with the multi-mode 600 lumen Terralux drop-in...Which isn't a bad option in itself, but the SL20L will throw much further.

If you want something more "like" the Surefire R1 Lawman, you might check out the Streamlight Stinger LED DS or LED DS HP...The HP has crazy throw, the standard LED DS is a bit more versatile.

ToNIX

Enlightened
Malkoff MD2 with M61 in neutral/warm tint module (M61 219) and high/low ring. If you want bigger lights, I'd probly get either the Malkoff Wildcat or Hound Dog.

You might get a lot of recommendation for the Klarus XT11, which would also be a good choice but it only comes in cool tint, which is a complete turn off for me.

As a LEO myself, you want a warmer tint so you get the real colors when looking inside cars. It makes a big difference.

rambo180

Enlightened
Malkoff MD2 with M61 in neutral/warm tint module (M61 219) and high/low ring. If you want bigger lights, I'd probly get either the Malkoff Wildcat or Hound Dog.

You might get a lot of recommendation for the Klarus XT11, which would also be a good choice but it only comes in cool tint, which is a complete turn off for me.

As a LEO myself, you want a warmer tint so you get the real colors when looking inside cars. It makes a big difference.

The XT11 won't (as far as I know) throw even half of 400m. It might get you 0.25 lux just above 200m but that won't really help you.

If you're looking at a modern day tactical LED (but not a Maglite with a drop-in or a flashlight with an inbuilt rechargeable battery) You'd want something with 2x 18650. That will probably get you 400m throw. Can checkout the search features on goinggear.

ToNIX

Enlightened
The XT11 won't (as far as I know) throw even half of 400m. It might get you 0.25 lux just above 200m but that won't really help you.

If you're looking at a modern day tactical LED (but not a Maglite with a drop-in or a flashlight with an inbuilt rechargeable battery) You'd want something with 2x 18650. That will probably get you 400m throw. Can checkout the search features on goinggear.

Right, but personally I just hate carrying big lights. I know it won't be for real LEO work, but still. I also suggested the Wildcat and Hound Dog though :)

Is the OP plan to use the light in a rural area or more city?

Last edited:

rambo180

Enlightened
Right, but personally I just hate carrying big lights.

Is the OP plan to use the light in a rural area or more city?

good questions. btw nothing against the xt11. EVERYONE loves it. highly reccomended for LEOs.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XT-11 is probably about as good as it gets for belt carried lights. It is bright, well built and has an amazing interface. It is what I have been reccomending for some time now. It also runs on several battery sources

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want something in the size category of Mag2D that meets your throw awnd output requirements; ThruNite Catapult V3

750 lumens and 400+ meters of throw. Takes both primary CR123As or rechargeable 18650s.

It can be had for around $150, cheaper with CPF discounts on some sites, so you'll be able to invest in some batteries and charger with the leftover budget.

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened
You may wanna look at the Fenix TK41. I'm not sure what others think of the durability, but mine has been rock solid so far (a couple weeks of drops and rolling around in a truck) It puts out 800 lumens and shoots 400 meters no problem. The cost is just over $100 leaving you plenty of money for rechargeable AA's (sanyo eneloops) and a charger. It takes 8 AA's and the size is right on par with a 2D mag. I use this light nightly while I work and with a cheap diffuser you can have tons of flood and throw in one package. You can even attach the diffuser to the lanyard. It pops on and off quickly and easily so you can go from flood to throw pretty much as easily as flipping a switch. Basically, you'd be coming in comfortably under budget for the light, batteries, charger and diffuser. My only uncertainty is durability. I've beat mine up a bit but it's only been maybe 3 weeks. It's hard to guess how it will perform 2 years from now. Still, I wouldn't hesitate to crack someone over the head with it if I had to, and I KNOW I could put someone to sleep with it should I ever be in a less than favorable situation.

I don't have a lot of experience with fancy expensive lights (not much beyond mags with drop-ins), but I do have more than my share of experience working on dangerous streets at night. This light has become a great partner.

R1LAWMAN

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to make a suggestion to you.. Get the Surefire R1 Lawman. I know you said its out of your budget, but if you are willing to spend $220 at this point, why not save up for just a bit longer, and buy it. I own 3 surefire lights, and the lawman is, by far, my favorite. I'm a Police Officer with the New York City Police Dept (NYPD) and have used this light a great deal since I got it. I have used it for rescues, searches, car stops, foot pursuits, ect. It's a great light, just the right size, not bulky, and bright as hell. Good luck with whichever light you choose.

MT7

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to make a suggestion to you.. Get the Surefire R1 Lawman. I know you said its out of your budget, but if you are willing to spend $220 at this point, why not save up for just a bit longer, and buy it. I own 3 surefire lights, and the lawman is, by far, my favorite. I'm a Police Officer with the New York City Police Dept (NYPD) and have used this light a great deal since I got it. I have used it for rescues, searches, car stops, foot pursuits, ect. It's a great light, just the right size, not bulky, and bright as hell. Good luck with whichever light you choose.

OK,thank you very much.
what about the throw? I need a flashlight which throw for at least 350 meters. what is the throw of the Lawman? how his throw compared to other throwers like Sunwayman T40CS?

rambo180

Enlightened
You may wanna look at the Fenix TK41. I'm not sure what others think of the durability, but mine has been rock solid so far (a couple weeks of drops and rolling around in a truck) It puts out 800 lumens and shoots 400 meters no problem. The cost is just over $100 leaving you plenty of money for rechargeable AA's (sanyo eneloops) and a charger. It takes 8 AA's and the size is right on par with a 2D mag. I use this light nightly while I work and with a cheap diffuser you can have tons of flood and throw in one package. You can even attach the diffuser to the lanyard. It pops on and off quickly and easily so you can go from flood to throw pretty much as easily as flipping a switch. Basically, you'd be coming in comfortably under budget for the light, batteries, charger and diffuser. My only uncertainty is durability. I've beat mine up a bit but it's only been maybe 3 weeks. It's hard to guess how it will perform 2 years from now. Still, I wouldn't hesitate to crack someone over the head with it if I had to, and I KNOW I could put someone to sleep with it should I ever be in a less than favorable situation.

Can you please give more detail on your homemade diffuser? Cheers

Ezeriel

Enlightened
How about a Romisen RC-T602 II from shiningbeam?

$28.75.. at that price how could you go wrong?

For $29.75 he has scratched and dent ShiningBeam Blaze's... people are saying the scratches and dents are very minor

ToNIX

Enlightened

Only comes in cool?

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey. Can you tell your boys to stop pulling me to the side for questioning just because I carry this (and prints through my shirt when covered) in the subway :D

http://oi46.tinypic.com/35jyo83.jpg

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Only comes in cool?"

Huh? Not sure what this means...???

R1L, any thoughts about some nyc pedestrian 'armed' around the city with this? Light and a can of OC spray.

http://oi46.tinypic.com/35jyo83.jpg

Would you, "central, male stop put me on citywide"
biggrin.gif

People seem apprehensive around me when I carry it. What gives?

It's just a flashlight folks.

Last edited: