Daytime runnings lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

viper37

Newly Enlightened
I'm interested in adding DRL's to my daily driver. I'm not looking to simply low volt the headlights to accomplish this as I want these lights to be completely separate. I've seen LED modules for sale by various mfg's such as Hella. Any input anyone?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The various Hella and Philips add-on LED DRLs are very good. There are a lot of others out there, but I wouldn't dink around with the off-brand stuff, which generally has poor quality, performance and durability. There's also a (much less expensive) non-headlight option like this (probably also available from other vendors, too)

viper37

Newly Enlightened
There's also a (much less expensive) non-headlight option like this (probably also available from other vendors, too)
I can accomplish the same thing by simply turning my parking lights on. Also, that module would be illegal in California, as it is illegal to drive with only parking lights lit.
[h=3]V C Section 24800 Lighted Parking Lamps[/h]
[h=4]Lighted Parking Lamps[/h]24800. No vehicle shall be driven at any time with the parking lamps lighted except when the lamps are being used as turn signal lamps or when the headlamps are also lighted.

Amended Ch. 58, Stats. 1961. Effective September 15, 1961.

You are in violation of Rule 11.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I can accomplish the same thing by simply turning my parking lights on.

No, you cannot; you've misunderstood the linked page. Parking lamps are not legal (or effective, or safe) as DRLs. The linked DRL module operates the front turn signals (not parking lamps) as DRLs, which is all three: safe, effective, and legal. Many vehicles are so equipped from the factory -- Corvettes and Cadillacs and Lincolns and Toyotas and various others.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depending on what your daily driver is and what your aesthetic concerns are, you can also mount some 6" oval F/P/T lamps on the front of your vehicle. Amber lens incan, amber LED, clear LED that's amber when lit, lots of choices. Even white incan or LED might be legal. You would probably want to check w/ SWM about the photometrics of a reverse light or utility light being used as a DRL. Use a relay to switch the DRLs. Connect the positive side of the coil to an ignition-on source, and connect the negative side to the positive supply for your parking lamps. The relay will ground just fine through all the parking lamp bulbs, and when you turn on the parking lights the relay will be receiving positive on both legs of the coil, and will turn off. This option is considerably less expensive than dedicated external DRL's and parts are widely available.

viper37

Newly Enlightened
No, you cannot; you've misunderstood the linked page. Parking lamps are not legal (or effective, or safe) as DRLs. The linked DRL module operates the front turn signals (not parking lamps) as DRLs, which is all three: safe, effective, and legal. Many vehicles are so equipped from the factory -- Corvettes and Cadillacs and Lincolns and Toyotas and various others.
Easily accomplished by putting a switch inline with the tail lights, so that only the turns signals illuminate. Far less $$ then that little device.

I'm going with either Hella or Blitzpro units.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The DRLs can emit white light or, if the DRL function is provided by the same lamps that provide the front turn signal function, they can emit amber light. Separate amber DRLs that do not also provide the turn signal are not permitted.

Reverse lamps are photometrically incompatible with the DRL function, so that's a no-go. "Utility lights" are unregulated, all over the map and generally do not meet the requirements for a DRL.

Be careful if you decide to try to make your own DRL out of off-the-shelf lamps made for other functions (turn signal, etc.); most of them do not meet the minimum intensity requirements for the DRL function (500 candela on axis). The only LED units I'm aware of that meets the requirement is this Signal-Stat unit, which comes in at 600 candela on axis. But here again, to be legal they'd also have to be wired up as the vehicle's turn signals, and since they were not designed for DRL service there might well be thermal issues with prolonged operation in the bright mode. I don't know of any dedicated DRLs in any of the US-standard truck/bus form factors (4" round, 2" x 6" oval, etc.).

There is a reason the (name brand/real) dedicated LED DRLs are expensive -- it takes a lot of engineering and top quality components to make one that works well and lasts an acceptably long time.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Easily accomplished by putting a switch inline with the tail lights, so that only the turns signals illuminate. Far less $$ then that little device.

No, you still aren't grasping it. The parking lamp function (dim amber or white, at front of car) is not legal or effective as a DRL. The front turn signals (bright amber, at front of car), operated in a steady-burning mode except when actually flashing as a turn signal, are effective and legal as a DRL. To operate them as DRLs and as turn signals, you need either a logic module or a messy bank of five relays.

I'm going with either Hella or Blitzpro units.

Go with Hella or Philips, if you're buying LED add-ons. "Blitzpro" appears to offer non-certified/non-approved generic LED toys, and since you appear to be very concerned about having an effective and legal DRL, you would want to avoid the "Blitzpro" items.

Last edited:

viper37

Newly Enlightened
No, you still aren't grasping it. The parking lamp function (dim amber) is not legal or effective as a DRL. The turn signals (bright amber), operated in a steady-burning mode except when flashing as a turn signal, are effective and legal as a DRL. To operate them as DRLs and as turn signals, you need either a logic module or a messy bank of five relays.
Lol, so wrong. You are assuming that I have bi level amber flashers on all corners, which I don't.

My parking lamps are my brake lights. I do not have rear amber flashing lights. With the headlights on the tail lights turn off one filament in both tail lamp bulbs to accomplish the flashing effect. In the front I have single filament bulb in an amber housing.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
My parking lamps are my brake lights. I do not have rear amber flashing lights. With the headlights on the tail lights turn off one filament in both tail lamp bulbs to accomplish the flashing effect. In the front I have single filament bulb in an amber housing.

I think you have a misapprehension of how incorporated tail, stop, and turn lamps work; not to mention a misapprehension of how the turn signal DRL module works.

Perhaps you should post the make, model, and year of your vehicle, as that can help us clear up any misconceptions for you.

viper37

Newly Enlightened
And I think you're wrong. I understand how the vehicle I've had for 11 years works. This thread is done.

rob3rto

Newly Enlightened
And I think you're wrong. I understand how the vehicle I've had for 11 years works. This thread is done.

:)

ferraritoys-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts