PK Design Lab

Thread: Am I the only one who keeps being linked to this dumb light on youtube?

Thinking Am I the only one who keeps being linked to this dumb light on youtube?

Here it is:

500 LED Extreme flashlight

I have repeatedly gone on youtube to look at all sorts of different things over the last 4-6 months or so, and even when I'm not even searching for a subject relating to LED flashlights, I keep getting this dumb video showing up in the searches at least 30% of the time!

I even left a post on that video about this, and other people said they too keep getting linked to it.... Whats up with that? Was this thing built by the CEO of youtube or something? I have never kept getting a certain video sent to my searches, but I keep getting this one. I didnt even bother watching the stupid video at first, but I still kept seeing it, so I finally looked at it, and its the most impractical light on the planet, and probably took a long time to build too.

Go away stupid video and stop haunting me!

Default Re: Am I the only one who keeps being linked to this dumb light on youtube?

OMG, about died when I read the last part of your post!!!

Default Re: Am I the only one who keeps being linked to this dumb light on youtube?

If I may toss in a youtube link to a video that is similar in its "strangeness" -
    The MagLite Burner!

And BTW - That 500 LED monstrosity shows up in my youtube searches quite a lot too!
    Last edited by zenbeam; 07-01-2012 at 08:48 PM.
    EagleTac D25C S2; P20A2 MKII S2; P100C2 Q5; Fenix TK21 U2; LD01 R4; E05 R2; E01
    JETBeam BC10 R5; Romisen RC-G2 II NW; RC-T601 II U2; Inova X5
    Xeno E03; Zebralight SC600; Crelant 7G5-V2 U2; 4Sevens Quark Tactical 123^2 R5

Flashaholic*

Shows up for me too hmmm maybe if I buy one they will go away

Lol, I don't even have to click the link to know which video you are talking about. I seem to get that video a lot as well.

SENT FROM MY HTC THUNDERBOLT USING TAPATALK

Most likely, a profile about you says you like flashlight stuff and this is youtube's favorite flashlight 'content'. See EZO's posts to learn more about how they're tracking you/us:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...acy-truly-gone

Flashaholic*

Yeah, I get annoyed with the same video.

Quote Originally Posted by zenbeam View Post
    If I may toss in a youtube link to a video that is similar in its "strangeness" -
    The MagLite Burner!

And BTW - That 500 LED monstrosity shows up in my youtube searches quite a lot too!

LOL! $200! Sorry, but that's funny, when you can make one for less. Although, I am somewhat surprised nobody sells a kit to make the ROP,
    Last edited by bstrickler; 07-01-2012 at 11:51 PM.
    Mag 1D, 2DL, 3DL, 6D hotwire+extension... Fenix E15... Surefire Z2, E1e, 6P, U2 modded with T5 XM-L... Just to name a few

It's happened to me many times.
    I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness. Jesus Christ - John 12:46

Quote Originally Posted by HighlanderNorth View Post
    I have repeatedly gone on youtube to look at all sorts of different things over the last 4-6 months or so, and even when I'm not even searching for a subject relating to LED flashlights, I keep getting this dumb video showing up in the searches at least 30% of the time!

It's Karma for your posting/linking that darn $2 2D plastic flashlight!
    My modest collection HERE & 55w HID spotlight project HERE

Flashaholic*

It sounds like you have a Flash tracking cookie or Malware on your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by M@elstrom View Post

There might be something to that^.........

Flashaholic

are you talking about that annoying person that puts links up to the facebook page with the $5 amazon yellow 2D light. really starting to get irritating, amongst other things...

Quote Originally Posted by rambo180 View Post
    are you talking about that annoying person that puts links up to the facebook page with the $5 amazon yellow 2D light. really starting to get irritating, amongst other things...

Yes I am indeed... I thought it was a $2 torch
    Last edited by M@elstrom; 07-03-2012 at 05:20 AM.

Flashaholic

Yes I am indeed... I thought it was a $2 torch
    maybe it was. you might be right. anyway, that guy should get over it. joke is no longer funny.

as a side note, for a $2 or $5 torch, it may be quite useful for some people. As a backup emergency torch for only a few dollars, it will do just fine. I know people that have backups that cost over $100, that is at least TWENTY times more! Is this yellow torch REALLY that bad?

Flashaholic

Oh geeze, I think this is the flashlight everybody needs to be linked to. Take special note of the power supply: http://youtu.be/OcdVaslktBE

You all really need to check out this one. Amazing engineering mated with great ergonomics! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkkU0UO3sek

And yes, that 500 LED one has shown up many times in my search results. Its just the perfect example of good use of keywords!

Flashaholic*

I see the 500 LED way too often as well.

it is garbage. My 70 dollar 3-XML skyray blows that thing into the ground
    posted by jh333233
    Dont cheat me, im expert in using crap light

It's got to do with our virtual footprints, marketing, cookies and our lack of web anonymity... those results are more often than not "tailored" to match your profiled interests

Quote Originally Posted by rambo180 View Post
    maybe it was. you might be right. anyway, that guy should get over it. joke is no longer funny.

as a side note, for a $2 or $5 torch, it may be quite useful for some people. As a backup emergency torch for only a few dollars, it will do just fine. I know people that have backups that cost over $100, that is at least TWENTY times more! Is this yellow torch REALLY that bad?

^You've made the same point twice now about the same topic. LMAO

Thats the same number of times I posted a cheap light, and it was like 3 weeks ago, and it wasnt the same light even. But sorry you had such a huge problem with it that you have to keep droning on about it... Maybe YOU should get over it!

Anyway, since I posted the OP about the "500 LED flashlight", I have not been linked to it since. Maybe its over...
    Last edited by HighlanderNorth; 07-05-2012 at 12:07 PM.

It's got to do with our virtual footprints, marketing, cookies and our lack of web anonymity... those results are more often than not "tailored" to match your profiled interests

Yep. You and a few others have hit the nail on the head. They now have software in place that monitors your interests, and caters to those interests. I just wish that software could figure out that I'm not interested in the 500 LED flashlight. Maybe if I went on to the video and clicked onto the thumbs down icon, I wonder if they have software that acknowledges that, and understands that you dont like the video, so therefore they need not link it to you? Probably not yet.

I wonder if they have software that acknowledges that, and understands that you dont like the video, so therefore they need not link it to you? Probably not yet.
    Like most things in life, likelihood comes down to incentive structure. They are currently incentivized to provide positives (pay me to find surfers more likely to want your product). Negatives are a harder sell (pay me to find surfers less likely to want your product).

The incentive would only work if the advertiser saved money by not showing certain products. But customers who are pickier about one set of products are also less likely to want other things. So the result is a less valuable viewer - who no one wants to pay to avoid. Better just to sell them ad blocking services.

Try turning on the setting 'Tell websites I don't want to be tracked".

Flashaholic

LMAO
    When people tell you that you're annoying and should stop repeatedly posting stupid stuff, is it really THAT funny? I think we have issues...