PK Design Lab

Thread: Why no love for thrunite T21??

Default Why no love for thrunite T21??

found this light on the thrunite site and cant find reviews on it anywhere, no posts no vids, nothing.
    its a tiny 350lm U2 light with firefly and strobe, like the eagletac D25 or RRT01 could probably get to 500/600+ lumens with an RCR. its brighter and smaller than the RRT01.
    dam..typing this just sold my self on it lol. anyone have one?

Default Re: Why no love for thrunite T21??

For my own preference, any light with strobe/SOS/beacon/UFO-signals mode in the main UI is an immediate deal breaker.

and why does there has to be love, for every single light???
    “Videre Nec Videri”

hello members,
    still no one own this flashlight ?
    im thinking about it..
    not sure if to choose nitecore ec1 or thrunite t21

Looks quite nice for the size and price, and 33 grams is nice and light.
    Although I'm not so sure about a tiny smooth reflector with an XM-L light. I'd guess that wouldn't have the prettiest beam around and I can't imagine they'd get much throw from it. A LOP would possibly be better. Another issue would be the relatively big gap between moonlight and the low mode of 22lm.

Quote Originally Posted by jay_rush View Post
    found this light on the thrunite site and cant find reviews on it anywhere, no posts no vids, nothing.
    its a tiny 350lm U2 light with firefly and strobe, like the eagletac D25 or RRT01 could probably get to 500/600+ lumens with an RCR. its brighter and smaller than the RRT01.
    dam..typing this just sold my self on it lol. anyone have one?

the light is new just barely released

Flashaholic

I have one. It's CUTE!

its a cool wee light getting 40 mins on high with eagletac rcr 16340 750mah ,bezel was a bit loose tried tightening but still does not sit flush with body..

In all honesty, it's nothing new. The output is good but nothing to get everyone too excited. The memory feature and flashy stuff would keep me away especially.

Small smooth reflector + XM-L = ugly beam. Also, it appears to have a conventional twisty switch (like on a Quark mini). I much prefer clicky or magnetic ring switches.

It looks like maybe it would be a great light, but Thrunite doesn't seem too interested in selling it. Their promotion is pushing the T20 not the T21, and there's not a single review I could find. It would make sense for them to kickstart the process by sending some review samples out, but I'm assuming that if they did that, there would be reviews out there.

At least I did ask them on Facebook and the Marketplace here if they would include the T21 in their Ti giveaway - no answer. I'd probably take a chance on the T21 if it came with a free Ti.

I received my T21 last week and it has a very yellow tinge to the beam, The t20 throws better and is a more neutral white.

Thumbs up Re: Why no love for thrunite T21??

Some guys have made review of ThruNite T21. It looks sound good.

ThruNite T21

Low, #2, #3:

High:

Tree at 15 meters:

Low, #2, #3 with LiIon:

High with LiIon:

Tree at 15 meters with LiIon:

I have the T20 and is a flashlight that suprised me, with liIon is a little canyon.

Flashaholic*

XML are prone to have greenish/yellow beam tints in the normal bins. The U2 is particularly showing these bad tints pretty commonly right now in the lights which have them, and also the U3.
    T6 is the better bet for decent tint in an XML.

As for the light, there are a variety of similar things at similar prices from Olight, Fenix, etc.
    They are all okay, but it's not a new or exciting thing.
    Last edited by twl; 12-29-2012 at 07:20 AM.
    Brawndo. It's got what plants crave!

Enlightened

I bought a T21 which I received on 2012-12-03. I have used it maybe 20 minutes in total, and now it doesn't function properly. Tried all the usual tricks at no avail. I have emailed Thrunite to see how they will handle it.

Edit: Reply from Thrunite:

"Dear customer
    this is a little problem about design, try to move the spring so let the negative pole of the battery have a better contact with the spring."

Do they mean the spring doesn't make good contact with the battery tube?
    Last edited by CathastrophiX; 01-16-2013 at 08:31 PM.

Enlightened

i have sent two more emails wit several questions, these are the answers:Answer 1:
    "my mean is that the spring did not contact well"

Answer two:
    "Dear customer
    I am very sorry ,is it true?
    in general ,T21 is not likely bad"

This doesn't help me, so I wonder if any T21 owner can help me and check their lighthead? Is the Driver circuit board mounted flush wit the retaining ring, and is there any solder making contact between the two?
    On my T21 the retaining ring is about 0,5 mm lower than the driver and I can't see anything making contact between the two. I think the problem is there, not in the battery tube.

i have problems too, i have to srew the head on veeery thight to make it put out some light. My T10 can be used one handed, with my T21 need both hands an lots of power :P

Enlightened

Thrunite is replacing the faulty light, thums up!

I have the T20 and think it is great but I've had problems with energizer lithium cells probably due to the length. It works fine when I use surefire cells or 16340 flames. The best things about these are the good knurling, low-low, and the compactness of the light itself.

I also wanted to order one for seeing their recently lower prices but then I decided to stop. These battery crusher type lghts may be picky about the battery length and protected 16340 batteries are usually fatter and longer than regular cr123s. Since I don't plan to stich with CR123 on a powerful flashlight that can run them down in half an hour, I would like to have a light less picky about cell sizes. I'd appreciate if any could confirm the cell compatibility of this flashlight, and then it may find its place in my pocket.

PS, there is the Saber 1c version with XPG2 led and I believe that one would be more throwy and have a better tint.

i ended up buying one of these. for alot of the 16340s i used it had to be tightened up VERY tight. the ones that didnt were fine for a while but i noticed that every time it was tighened to change modes the oring got caught and moved and after a while then the oring got stuck and the light cut it in half. then i put in the spare oring and more lube and cycled through all the modes real quick and it cut that oring in half also. i was very pissed off i threw i the whole light in the bin, its my thrunite tradition

Quote Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
    I also wanted to order one for seeing their recently lower prices but then I decided to stop. These battery crusher type lghts may be picky about the battery length and protected 16340 batteries are usually fatter and longer than regular cr123s. Since I don't plan to stich with CR123 on a powerful flashlight that can run them down in half an hour, I would like to have a light less picky about cell sizes. I'd appreciate if any could confirm the cell compatibility of this flashlight, and then it may find its place in my pocket.

PS, there is the Saber 1c version with XPG2 led and I believe that one would be more throwy and have a better tint.

The T21 is not a battery crusher because of the spring. My T21 functions fine on Eagletac 16340, SF/Duracell Primaries, XTAR 16340, XTAR 16340 w/ PCB removed, along with some other various primaries, all have worked fine. The T21 throws a ton of light, but i will also say that mine has a very yellow/green tint....while its not terrible, it is the worst of all the lights I have.... Despite being more of a flood light, it still out throws the more focus T20 due to sheer lumens.

The T20 is much more picky about batteries. Mine works fine with SF Primary, Tenergy LiFePO4 RCR123, and XTAR 16340 w/o PCB (but barely). It is very VERY finicky with Eagletac/XTAR 16340's with the PCB, to the point of it barely working, and the head wont screw down. I have not found ANY 16340 that will work decently on the T20, and when on Li-on the medium mode flickers terribly. If you have a T20, the best bet it to use the tenergy LiFePO4 batteries, they work great.

Flashaholic*

anything that small with xm-l i think is a little pointless, also there are many small lights to choose from.