Quark 123 question pro or tactical?

jzmb

Newly Enlightened
Hi, thanks to all the great info on this forum i ben able to narrow down my new edc light to a quark x 123x2 but now i see there is a pro and tactical..which do you guys recommend thanks

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
I prefer the 'regular', which they now call the 'pro' interface on a general purpose light. With the head loosened, the pro comes on at very low moon mode and you click it up to low, medium, high, then sos. Tighten the head and you get maximum first, then one more click gets you strobe. For all-around use, I like this. Its nice that it comes on at moon mode if you want to keep your eyes night adjusted and its easy to get in the habit of clicking 2 or 3 times if moon mode is too low for what you need. On the other hand, it can be a pain if you are working on something and need to turn the light on and off frequently and you need a level other than max.

In the tactical version you pick any two of those modes and program one mode for head loosened and one for head tightened. Many people prefer this. It is nice if you are doing mechanical work or security work, but if only two modes doesn't do it for you then you might not like that. You can reprogram it, not hard, but also not practical to do it at the moment of need.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
I only buy these in the "Tactical" UI. I want the ability to program in my two favorite modes, and then knowing they will come IMMEDIATELY on when the button is pressed. I HATE cycling through different modes. But that is JMHO of course.

If you can live mostly with two modes (more available with re-programming) then go "Tactical".

Good luck. :rolleyes:

EDIT - oh BTW, I would recommend the R5 emitter over the XML or S2. Yes, I have them all..........

-

Last edited:

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:
4Sevens recently changed the naming system of the Quarks. The pro used to be called the regular & the tactical was thankfully always the tactical.

That said, here are some handy links for your consideration -
Outdoorsman5 Quark UI Explanation
Quark regular vs tactical?

I hope these help you with your decision. I keep going back & forth on my preference leading to the dangerous CPF motto, "buy both".

jzmb

Newly Enlightened
thanks guys esp. for the links i tried searching for some info on the subject but couldn't find any

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you like to use the higher modes more frequently, then the tactical is probably better since it gets to be a pain to cycle through the lower modes.

I personally am a low lumens fan and like to use the lowest level to accomplish a given task, and for me, that's often moonlight and low so I like the regular interface. Also the regular interface is equivalent to a tactical set to moonlight & max, which is just one click away from where I set all my tactical UIs anyways - low & max.

One thing I really do like about the tactical version is that you can set your most frequently used level to tight bezel - I just prefer the feeling of a light is tightly screwed down most of the time (no loose head).

Zen Ape

Newly Enlightened
I'm a fan of their pro mode simply because I generally have a need of 3 modes (moonlight, 20-40 lumens, and Turbo). Pro allows for very easily getting to those modes quickly. Tactical, you are stuck with 2 modes.

tubed

Enlightened
i recently got a quark single cr123. love the light but hate the UI (the standard) way too complex for me for easy use. Hate the twist and click combo- way too many strobe modes. Even when I did get everything all figured out, I found that if I ever handed the light to someone else it completely confused them. It was my first foray into complex UIs with mult settings and I was intrigued by all the different settings. From now on all lights I buy will be with the simpler UIs. So ....long answer to your question, I would go with what ever one you can reduce your clicking options with... i think that's the tactical.

PointSpecial

Newly Enlightened
I have a 1232 Quark Turbo (which has the same UI and clicky as the tactical).

I bought it to EDC... but I'm seriously considering buying another Quark, this time in the pro version... and I'm not sure if I'm going to get the 1232 or the single cell 123.

Each has pluses and minuses. It really depends what you want to use it for.

If you want to know without a doubt which two modes you want, then the tactical might be for you. The thing about the tactical UI is that you can set in two (and just two) modes... one with the bezel tightened, and one with the bezel loosened. I have my Turbo set to the highest brightness and the moonlight brightness, so I know what I'm getting right when I turn the light on (moonlight) and which mode I can switch to right away.

I'm considering getting the pro version because I want to be able to more easily access the other modes and because I want a little smaller flashlight to be able to EDC (the Turbo is just too big... I've already ruined an old pair of jeans because I sat down with the light in my pocket... and RIIIIIIIIIIP!... bye bye jeans!).

The pro UI has advantages too. With the loosened bezel, you can step through the different modes, from moonlight all the way up to the brightest brightness and the special modes (SOS, strobe, etc). With the bezel tightened, you have instant access to either the brightest brightness or the strobe.

I have been trying to decide between the single and multi-cell version of the 123 quark. I came into this not knowing much about lithium batteries and I've heard horror stories of multi-cell flashlights that have had their lithium batteries vent on them... which can lead to serious health issues. Also, the 2-cell version is larger, making it more difficult to EDC.

On the other hand, the multi-cell will give you more performance and longer run-time... so there definitely is a give and take.

Ultimately, it comes down to how you think you will use it and what you want easy access to. If you think that you will only want a couple (i.e. 2) of modes, then the tactical might be for you.

If you want to be able to access all of the modes, then the pro model might be for you.

Also, if you want to tail-stand, you can only do that with the pro, not with the tactical.

Onthelightside

Enlightened
i see there is a pro and tactical..which do you guys recommend thanks

This really comes down to personal preference but in my search for a light I picked the tactical UI. I have my light mounted in a headband most of the time and the tactical version makes sense because I don't have to mess with a bunch of modes when it is in the head band it is either low or high (or whatever I have it set to).

If you want to be able to access all of the modes, then the pro model might be for you.

I was hesitant to get the tactical because I was an owner of a 4Sevens Preon 2 and liked how the modes cycled and I could get to strobe pretty quickly if I needed it, but once you get used to the tactical I can switch to any mode pretty quickly almost as fast as pro. For the headband the simplicity of the tactical made sense and I could always change the modes with a little time.

Some other things to think about are tail standing and momentary on/off. The tactical can not tail stand because the button is not recessed in the housing but on the other hand the tactical can do momentary on/off which I find useful sometimes especially if you were going to put this into an EDC role and only needed it for a quick moment.

I have been trying to decide between the single and multi-cell version of the 123 quark. I came into this not knowing much about lithium batteries and I've heard horror stories of multi-cell flashlights that have had their lithium batteries vent on them... which can lead to serious health issues.

This was a big consideration when I bought my 4Sevens Quark X 1232​. I am mounting this in a fenix headband so safety was a big consideration :caution:. To solve this problem I went with a single Li-ion rechargeable 17670 battery which takes the place of two CR123 cells. This eliminates the problem of uneven voltages and significantly reduced the venting risk.:poof:.

allyourblood

Newly Enlightened
I just dealt with this decision myself, just a few days ago. I spent 2 or 3 days agonizing over which to buy, since at this time I really could only afford one or the other. I liked the tailstanding ability of the Pro (Regular) and I liked the quick access to all modes. However, I did not like having to ever set eyes on the strobe/SOS modes (might be helpful someday but I find them to be useless at this point in time) and I didn't like that the Pro version lacks momentary on, although this is really only a minor issue for me.

The Tactical, on the other hand, has ultra-quick-to-access dual programs which is great when you want the light to come on in the same mode every time; no fuss, no muss. I also like that the tailcap switch is easy to reach and engage, as is the momentary on ability. The rubber boot on the switch is obviously more exposed than that of the Regular version; if you're pocketing it, it might be best to relegate the light to its own pocket to avoid wear and abrasion from other items (like keys). Another downside to consider is that there will probably be times that you'll want one of the modes that aren't programmed, in which case you'll be bezel-twisting and clicking like a madman to get the one you want.

My choice ended up coming down to availability, which is nice: I was so torn between the two that I was relieved when my chosen online store only had the Tactical version in stock. Now that I have the Tactical, I'm confident I chose the right model for me. I don't think I'd like the Pro as much. I definitely appreciate the protruding tail switch as it's very easy to engage and the momentary on is a nice feature, even if it's not crucial to me. I also immediately came to appreciate not having to swim through the strobe modes to get to where I want. I wasn't entirely sure how important this was going to be but now I don't think I could live with the alternative. I only wish the Tactical hid the strobe settings completely, but I know then it wouldn't really fit the "tactical" moniker as well.

I've got my Tactical set up for Moonlight mode and Hi. I do wish it had a third setting for max, but that's pretty much my only gripe. I also came to realize that while tailstanding is a nice feature, it simply isn't that useful to me, day to day. There are all kinds of things I can do to stand my light on its end, regardless of the switch type. I'll gladly take the two program modes of the Tactical over the Pro's tailstanding any day.

I started typing this before I left for work this morning and just finished it now, so some of what I stated is probably redundant, but there ya go. Hope it helps!

allyourblood

Newly Enlightened
I have been trying to decide between the single and multi-cell version of the 123 quark. I came into this not knowing much about lithium batteries and I've heard horror stories of multi-cell flashlights that have had their lithium batteries vent on them... which can lead to serious health issues. Also, the 2-cell version is larger, making it more difficult to EDC.

I wrestled with this a bit before deciding on the QTLC (single 123 cell). I wanted the high lumens of the multicell models, but I didn't want to deal with the venting risk. I'll likely buy a higher-powered light down the road just because (right?), but for EDC and around-the-house purposes, the 85 Hi and 205 Max modes are more than adequate. And just like you said, the 2-cell version is long and bulkier which starts to edge it out of the realm of reasonable everyday carry.

Oh and to the OP, remember that you can purchase a recessed tailcap switch for the Tactical version. You'll lose momentary on from what I've read, but you'll be able to tailstand (reverse clicky now) and still enjoy the dual programs of the Tactical.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that a lot of trouble in decision making could be saved if 4Sevens could combine the features of both and unify them into one model. The model that will appeal to me definitely would be one with a forward momentary clicky (could package with a reverse clicky as well), tightened for only max output, loosened to cycle from moon mode all the way to high. Do away with all the disco modes as I think they are lame and useless.

Onthelightside

Enlightened
Do away with all the disco modes as I think they are lame and useless.
I really like the strobe, sos and beacon modes. I think they really come in handy when you are camping /backpacking. They are useful for marking your campsite and signaling to friends. Also while in the city I had to cross a busy 4 lane street and while there was a cross walk there it was dark and it is not used often. I pulled out my light and put it on strobe and every car stopped for my light :laughing: (now this was only a preon 2 so not a huge amount of lumens 150 or so not 400)

allyourblood

Newly Enlightened
I think that a lot of trouble in decision making could be saved if 4Sevens could combine the features of both and unify them into one model. The model that will appeal to me definitely would be one with a forward momentary clicky (could package with a reverse clicky as well), tightened for only max output, loosened to cycle from moon mode all the way to high. Do away with all the disco modes as I think they are lame and useless.

I also wish there was an "all in one" model. If it was possible, I'd like a recessed slider switch in the bezel or tube that toggles between Pro and Tactical modes. Yeah, it's an extra switch, but then we could still leave in the strobes as I imagine more than a few folks use them regularly. Or maybe they could tuck those settings away in a third cycle of modes, like on the Preon 2.

I definitely don't like that choosing a recessed or protruding switch means you also get a completely different UI.

Bl@ckR0ck

Newly Enlightened
I've got the tactical version and really like the UI. The moon setting is actually a bit too dim for me around my house in the evenings with other light that filters in from neighbors and street lights, so the two setting option is ideal. I've got mine set to one above moon when tight and then full beam as the secondary option though I could probably drop the high intensity a single notch as well.

The other thing I like about the tactical is the clicky push button. It's nice to walk around the house and be able to simply depress the button partially and kick the light on. For that reason alone I like the tactical. Then again, that push button sticks out the back which doesn't allow you to stand the light on end in candle mode. I thought the button was supposed to be recessed and could stand on it's end but it can't. That's the only drawback of the design I don't like, but then I've got other lights to use if I want something that can stand up on it's end.

MU22

Newly Enlightened
I have been unable to decide whether to buy the regular or tactical AA2. I like the idea of not having to cycle through multiple modes and being able to jump right to the mode I want with the tactical, but feel the two settings would be limiting. Does anyone with the tactical ever wish they could have quick access to more than two modes?

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been unable to decide whether to buy the regular or tactical AA2. I like the idea of not having to cycle through multiple modes and being able to jump right to the mode I want with the tactical, but feel the two settings would be limiting. Does anyone with the tactical ever wish they could have quick access to more than two modes?

I have both and would choose the Tactical over the Pro for EDC. In fact I just ordered a 2CR123 Tactical to replace my old 2AA Tactical as it's been relegated my emergency bag. My 2AA Regular (now Pro) resides beside my bed. It's good for midnight adventures because it doesn't blind you as it turns on in moonlight mode every time. It's not so great as an EDC light, for me at least.

presidentsdad

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered a QP2L-X (the pro interface) because I didn't want to be limited to two modes without reprogramming. I also went with it because of the moonlight mode. It seems that there are only a couple of manufactures with an ultra low mode (<1Lm).

El Camino

Newly Enlightened
Question: Does 4-7's have a model that is forward clicky and still has all of the modes. I like multi-mode lights, but momentary on as well.