Need a general purpose camping light

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking about purchasing a flashlight for use on camping trips and am looking for recommendations. Here are the criteria I've decided on:

Under ~$100
Must run on rechargeable Li-Ion batteries that can be charged by the Nitecore/Sysmax I4 Intellicharger
At least 600 OTF lumens
As much throw as possible while still having decent flood
Ability to add colored lenses would be nice, but not necessary
7" or under in length, less than 2" diameter head

Thanks for your help!

jonnyfgroove

Enlightened
The Eagletac G25C2 is a few bucks over your budget, but it looks like a great light that meets your criteria.

ETA: Also, the SF Fury is about the same price.:rock: You can run that on a 17670 AFAIK.

Last edited:

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, forget to mention I would rather not buy a Zebralight since I already have an SC60 as my EDC and would like to try some other brands. That Eagletac looks really nice though.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I think I've narrowed it down to the following:

Klarus XT11
Eagletac G25C2
Sunwayman T20CS
Lumintop TD15-X
Olight M21-X

Out of those, which would have the best throw?

Last edited:

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
After reading some lux numbers in Selfbuilt's reviews I've decided to scrap all of those and go with a 2 x 18650 light. Right now it looks like either the Jetbeam BC40 or Sunwayman T40CS, depending on how much money I can justify spending.

tubed

Enlightened
After reading some lux numbers in Selfbuilt's reviews I've decided to scrap all of those and go with a 2 x 18650 light. Right now it looks like either the Jetbeam BC40 or Sunwayman T40CS, depending on how much money I can justify spending.

As an owner of a T40cs, I'm not sure it's your best light for camping. It's a bit large and the low is pretty high - so if you need to putter around camp you're going to be lugging out a large light - really need a holster - and lighting up the whole campsite. Also - it's designed as a thrower and so it's lowest setting gives a very non-floody beam - (hard to describe). I would get something smaller (like a single or double cr23 light) that is light and you can clip onto something quickly. ( I have a 1x cr123 quark that i like) (I can clip it onto my hat brim quickly to make it a headlight). Many of these can still throw hundreds of yards.
As a place to start - go to GoingGear and select for 2x cr123 lights- then take you pick.

biglights

Enlightened

Take a look at the Olight SR51, retail is more than you wanted to spend, but I have seen them go for $80 shipped recently. Very sturdy and huge throw for its size. Also comes with a diffuser which will work well for flood. I just ordered a blue and green lens for mine, so it also has that going for it. Plus it comes in a cool carrying case!

Last edited:

rambo180

Enlightened
Ok, I think I've narrowed it down to the following:

Klarus XT11
Eagletac G25C2
Sunwayman T20CS
Lumintop TD15-X
Olight M21-X

Out of those, which would have the best throw?

I'd probably say the M21x, the sunwayman and the eagletac are more desinged for throw out of your list. Another option is the shiningbeam blaze, currently only $29 but worth a whole lot more, considering it is sold as a damaged model and mine looks brand new - no damage. Throws about a 7 or 8 out of 10, floods really well.

rambo180

Enlightened
also something like the eagletac or the thrunite tn11s come with extenders, so you can run 2x18650s if you want. the klarus xt11 is VERY popular too, and best runtime. so a compact light and you might not even need 2 batteries since it runs so well on one.

you cant go wrong!