• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Throw of the Logan vs Eiger Narrow optic?

GrimCreaper

Newly Enlightened
Im really interested in that Logan from OR with a nichia 219, but how good in the throw on a logan?

My warm eiger has taken to basicly work use/secondary edc only as it doesnt have enough throw for me to feel comfortable when walking home at night. I want something more compact than my solarforce M8 and I have decided im not into 18650 cells anymore after a friend had one explode recently.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Logan has decent throw for a small keychain light. The key points over the Eiger are brightness and longer runtime with a 17500, and with the cell adapters multiple cell options. I strongly recommend getting it in Al because it doesn't overheat quickly. Just keep in mind the heads on both lights are small so don't expect a ton of throw.

18650 cells are safe as long as you stick to a quality brand, use undamaged cells, recycle old cells, check voltage periodically and don't use cells with mismatched voltages. This is true for any battery chemistry or brand.

Last edited:

GrimCreaper

Newly Enlightened
The Logan has decent throw for a small keychain light. The key points over the Eiger are brightness and longer runtime with a 17500, and with the cell adapters multiple cell options. I strongly recommend getting it in Al because it doesn't overheat quickly. Just keep in mind the heads on both lights are small so don't expect a ton of throw.

18650 cells are safe as long as you stick to a quality brand, use undamaged cells, recycle old cells, check voltage periodically and don't use cells with mismatched voltages. This is true for any battery chemistry or brand.

Thanks for the heads up and the info :)

Ive always been careful with my 18650's but the brand i use is Solarforce. How is brass verse aluminum for heat dissipation? looking online it seems entirely dependent on the composition of the brass and i dont know what peak uses.

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
What dudemar said. For longer use, Al is certainly warranted in the smaller lights. But for momentary or shorter duration use the material may not make much difference. Remember, though, that once heat is drawn away from the source and to the body, it must still be dissipated and this requires surface area which smaller lights lack. In this respect the Logan, particularly with the 17500 body, is certainly superior. Two other important factors to consider are the use of the QTC to reduce output and heat, and, of course, the fact that polished Brass (and for that matter polished SS) can make you happier.