Equally Useful Gadgets that go well with Flashlights

muddywolf

Newly Enlightened
Hi all

I don't know about anyone else but I love Multi Tools just as much as flashlights.

Especially the Leatherman products.

I owned the original Leatherman multi tool for years and now own the Super Tool 300.

I also own the Leatherman Squirt mini multi tool that is keychain sized.

I don't leave home ever without a flashlight and multi tool.

Does anyone else geek out about multi tools and think they go hand in hand with flashlights?

*Please resize image to maximum 800x800 per CPF Policies. Thank you... :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Xrunner4

Newly Enlightened
I've always been fascinated by flashlights, batteries, and lightbulbs of all kinds. I have a couple multi tools and could easily become obsessed with them, too, but I only have so many pockets and my wife says the fanny pack doesn't match the rest of my ensemble. :shrug:

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
An EMF detector

scaled.php

Onthelightside

Enlightened
An EMF detector
:D

Yes I have a leatherman Juice s2 and it is nice but sort of heavy for the pockets. If I am going to carry a multitool I will usually grab the victoranox farmer alox which is also very nice.

Most days though I will just travel with a preon 2 and a benchmade either 940 or 527. I am starting to build up my knife collection.
benchmade940.jpg

Lobstradomus

Newly Enlightened
I always seem to be needing a knife of some sort so I usually grab either my Spyderco Resilience or go old school with my SAK. I usually have a decent pen and USB thumb drive with me as well.

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened
I carry a benchmade 470 every step I take. It's with me moreso than a light. It's just more important and used more. That knife is awesome and I'd be happy to only own that and never another one. Ever. Multitools are good, but I have a sort-of sick obsession with using the best possible tool for every job, which usually isn't a multi tool. Instead, I have several COMPLETE tool sets. One in my home, one in my work truck, and a decent set in my personal vehicle. When I need tools, I usually have exactly what I need. While I do keep a multitool in my car, it doesn't see much use. I've had it 4 years and probably used 4 times. I understand someones desire to carry one, but for me the best ones are too large and bulky. If they made one as slim and light as my benchmade (similar to the one pictured above) I'd probably reconsider and carry it from time to time, but I'd do nothing but find faults with it, because I'm just weird like that.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you folks aren't familiar with it, you might want to check out edcforums (dot) com

jamesmyname

Newly Enlightened
I EDC very light-weight. I have an office job and wear slacks and a dress shirt, so nothing bulky. I get by with an ITP A3 and Swiss-Tech Utilikey on my keychain. That's plenty for me.

Outside of work, it's usually just my keychain. If I wanted more I would go with a 14500-powered AA light (haven't made the 123 leap yet) and my new Gerber Crucial multi tool.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Swiss-Tech Utilikey on my keychain

I had the the 19-in-1 micro and I have to say that it's less than useful, especially the pliers. Might have a look at the 8-in-1 utility key though. Already have a small swiss army knife and two thumb screwdrivers

SidC

Newly Enlightened
I never feel comfortable without a flashlight, knife, and Zippo on my person.

TweakMDS

Enlightened
I use a Leatherman Style CS on my keychain, as well as one of those button battery leds that illuminationgear sends with the purchase. Apart from that I don't really travel without an mp3 player (Sansa Clip Zip with rockbox firmware) that I use to listen to audiobooks. Since I started doing that to fill my commuting time, I've "read" about 20 books, where I never found the time to read books otherwise.
I used to edc a camera as well (Canon Powershot G7 with CHDK firmware), but now I'm looking at either an S95 or something compact like that. Maybe also a fold-up tripod that Manfrotto sells. Ideally I'd get a Fuji X100 but that's still on the big size and would need a bag/pouch which mildly defeats the pocketability of it.

Why oh why are purses limited to girls only :eek:

On that topic: hands up who uses their girlfriend as a mule to hold your stuff in her purse sometimes?

"honey, can you keep my keys with you for a bit?"
"also, my wallet?"
"also, this other crap I had in my pocket?"

rambo180

Enlightened
"An EMF detector"

Why? I mean, I'm sure you have a very valid and great reason. Not trying to be rude or anything, I just wouldn't personally put it in the same categories as car keys, mobile phone and flashlight.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
"An EMF detector"

Why? I mean, I'm sure you have a very valid and great reason. Not trying to be rude or anything, I just wouldn't personally put it in the same categories as car keys, mobile phone and flashlight.

Why not? you can't exactly EDC a multi-tool here unless you remove the blade can you? :laughing:

Last edited:

rambo180

Enlightened
Why not? you can't exactly EDC a multi-tool here unless you remove the blade here can you? :laughing:

Fair enough. I bought one a few months ago actually. Used it for a day when I was replacing some old power points (shh.. don't tell the council).

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly... you'd be surprised at the multitude of things that radiate EM fields ;)

PLUS

I was hinting at those who like to mix EMF detectors, flashlights and creepy locations together... hint hint :D