BBQ/Grill light==High CRI

kiwiman3139

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,
Has anyone done any cooking (BBQ) with a high CRI light and does it give good colour rendition so you can tell if your steak is cooked?
I am looking at a Zebralight H502d for night time cooking unless someone has a better suggestion.
Most BBQ/Grill lights in store are crappy.

Thanks Stewart

BIG45-70

Enlightened
I was using a surefire E2E with a lumens factory incan for this purpose for quite a while. I recently converted it to an LED and now need to pick up another incan for this use. For me a small incandescent is the only way to go for a BBQ light.

TweakMDS

Enlightened
Well, when I read your topic title, the first (and only) light that came up to me was the H502d. I'm also planning to order it soon.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got your PM and figured I should reply publicly :)

I've used my High CRI lights plenty of times for cooking, but tend to use a meat thermometer as my first port of call ;)

I'd give a Nichia 219 based light a crack. It's one of the few emitters out there with almost no discernible tint, and great colour rendition. Good if you're used to judging your foods cookedness under fluoro lights in your kitchen.

The warm, High-CRI XP-G is also good, especially if you're used to judging your foods cookedness under warm, Incan lights in your kitchen.

kiwiman3139

Newly Enlightened
I got your PM and figured I should reply publicly :)

I've used my High CRI lights plenty of times for cooking, but tend to use a meat thermometer as my first port of call ;)

I'd give a Nichia 219 based light a crack. It's one of the few emitters out there with almost no discernible tint, and great colour rendition. Good if you're used to judging your foods cookedness under fluoro lights in your kitchen.

The warm, High-CRI XP-G is also good, especially if you're used to judging your foods cookedness under warm, Incan lights in your kitchen.

Thanks Simon, A thermapen is on my wishlist--Any lights names that use Nichia 219 emitters,preferably a headlamp?
Stewart

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Quark Mini AA HCRI with some diffusion material applied over lens for a more floody beam is a good and inexpensive option. I think I paid around $30 for mine on sale. I mostly use it as a headlamp. The tint is fantastic for cooking food.
IMG_9222A.jpg